FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foreign Service Officer's Exam (Round 4) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foreign Service Officer's Exam (Round 4)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

So sorry BB. Don't give up, though you may want to explore other approaches to getting where you want to be.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear this, BB.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, BB. Sorry it didn't work out.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Sucks that I can't exactly get a break down of what was lacking in my candidacy file, but there it is. There are definitely things I can do in the meantime to get better, so I'll start with that. While I'm already 29, it might be time to go back to school, since my not passing this many times seems to suggest I need more qualifications.

I will also not be progressing. As a first timer, and in the most competitive cone, I am not surprised. You shouldn't feel too bad BB, I think this year was very impacted in general. I had a much higher score on the test, and foreign experience as well, and still didn't get through. I have heard from FSOs that there may be *very* few spots this year, with the budget issues looming. Let's write each other some practice essays over the next year. PM me.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Sucks that I can't exactly get a break down of what was lacking in my candidacy file, but there it is. There are definitely things I can do in the meantime to get better, so I'll start with that. While I'm already 29, it might be time to go back to school, since my not passing this many times seems to suggest I need more qualifications.

I will also not be progressing. As a first timer, and in the most competitive cone, I am not surprised. You shouldn't feel too bad BB, I think this year was very impacted in general. I had a much higher score on the test, and foreign experience as well, and still didn't get through. I have heard from FSOs that there may be *very* few spots this year, with the budget issues looming. Let's write each other some practice essays over the next year. PM me.
I'd love to do that Orincoro.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry things didn't work out for you this year, as I mentioned before, I have always rooted for you when you post your yearly update on your goal to work in the Foreign Services.

I look forward to you getting in next year.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Got an email from the DOS regarding Consular Adjudicator positions in China. It's a year long position with the possibility of renewing up to four years if I do a good job. Essentially I would be doing visa work with applicants who wish to come to the US. It's very related to the consular track I selected when I initially took the FSOT. I assume selecting that track, as well as indicating Mandarin proficiency as one of my skills when I took the FOST is why I was contacted. I'm going to apply for it, I have to construct an entire resume from scratch, but what cha' gonna do?

It's a long shot, but who knows, I might get lucky.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what DOS is, but good luck!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Department of State?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Good luck, BB! Will your family be moving with you, or would you have to be apart for a year, were you to go?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It appears my family would be coming with me this time, if I got the job of course. The salary is comparable to many entry level government jobs, but cost of living in Beijing is *much* lower.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck BB!! It sounds like an excellent opportunity.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
[QB] It appears my family would be coming with me this time

[Smile] That's great.

quote:
if I got the job of course.
Of course.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, BlackBlade!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic that you got the opportunity to apply. Good luck on it.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Go an email back from the State Dept. They are currently in the process of reviewing applications for completeness and then forwarding them to a review panel. I'll find out mid-late July if I can go to DC and take their oral assessment.

That's all I've got for now, I'll keep you folks informed.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I admire your persistence, a lot of people don't really care enough to keep pursuing their dreams. It's nice to know someone else who does.

After all, I gave up a successful career in retail management to go back to school for nursing at age 39. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I just received an email from the Department of State. Unfortunately it was not the news I was hoping for. It was nice though that the email did not simply say no, but rather informed me that I met all the qualifications for employment, and that the review panel agreed I was qualified for work, but that there was too many other candidates more qualified and that is why I am not continuing on as a consular adjudicator.

It hurts, I can't deny it, I just feel so blocked right now. I know despairing won't help, but I can't help but feel discouraged and disheartened.

From what I am finding by looking it appears that until I get some sort of Master's degree, I can expect to be beaten out in this manner by other men and women for these positions. I'll be looking into GRE prep for this fall at BYU, and then sending applications to several schools.

I've always appreciated the support I receive from this community continually, I only hope someday I'll prove a worthy investment.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The job market right now is such that many of us -- including me -- keep getting the "you qualify, but other applicants qualified more" shpiel. It sucks.

Good for you for having a plan going forward!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry. I agree - sounds like pursuing that master's is the best way to give yourself more qualifications. Hang in there....your persistence is bound to pay off!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It will get better. You are working hard to make it better.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Cross posted from another forum.

Dept of State is going to stop doing language tests prior to one passing the Oral Assessment. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it means your QEP candidacy file has to rely purely on experience and your ability to articulate how it fits with the DOS's mission/qualification rubric. Previously speaking a mission critical language automatically gave you a leg up on that. That advantage I believe is gone now when I apply in the future. It might be possible that you simply indicating you speak a mission critical language will still give you an advantage on your QEP section, while after passing the oral assessment that subsequent test would instead improve you ladder ranking on the employment list.

It's also good as the phone interview was too easy to cheat on. With just a little know-how one could compile a crib sheet, and use the vocabulary terms to stay on top of things during the phone interview, thus allowing too many people who have good basic grammar and pronounciation but little vocabulary an unfair chance to skew the numbers of people in the QEP evaluation.

An actual face to face interview is a much better process I should think.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.