FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gay Couple Denied Admission to Creation Museum's Date Night (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gay Couple Denied Admission to Creation Museum's Date Night
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
He said that "this is the worst pizza ever."

Since this is an indirect statement, the quotations shouldn't be in there at all. If you are going to quote a full sentence, then set it up as a quote, but if you are going to use an indirect statement, don't use quotation marks.
It's not an indirect statement. Perhaps it wasn't the best example, but that doesn't mean that you can't run a quote in to the sentence.
Getting back to the important part of this thread [Smile] ...

I would still use quotes with statements included in a sentence if it was important that the reader knew those words were actually spoken by the person in question.

"Pearson said it was the worst show ever."
"Pearson said it was the 'worst show ever.'"

The second one arguably has more emphasis as it makes clear he used those exact words, where the first could have been the speaker's interpretation.

Still no comma, though...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with Chris.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He said that "this is the worst pizza ever."

That still makes the above sentence bad style, because there is no reason to emphasize that "this is the" is also part of the direct quote. If you want to quote the entire sentence, then don't set up an indirect statement. If you want to set up an indirect statement, then only put quotes around the significant words.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough.

He said that this is the "worst pizza ever."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, I agree with that. It's both grammatical and stylistically sensical.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with "sensical" as a word. Is it a neologism?
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes.

(Buffy changed forever the way I think about vocabulary (I believed in flexible vocabularies already, thanks to Shakespeare, but Buffy set it free). My favorite use of a new word was "sorrowfied" in an email the other day. It rhymes with "horrorified".)

I mean, you knew what I meant, right? Plus it paralleled "grammatical", which made me happy.

CT
Member # 8342

I wouldn't have said I didn't grasp your point. I was just curious about the word choice, that's all.

My apologies for giving offense, if the asking did.

My hopes, as well, that apologizing itself doesn't. [Dont Know]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite at the point where I'm comfortable making words up, but I have certainly had my brain fire up a neuron for a word that fit exactly with what I wanted to say, only to check a dictionary to find the word doesn't exist.

Maybe, one day, I'll make that leap.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

[continued from above]

That is to say, I have a feeling my interpersonal interaction-o-nometer is off. My intent was just curiosity.

I, too, enjoy what Whedon and the gang did with words.

katharina
Member # 827

Having checked the OED, it used to be a word. It just isn't used anymore - OED's last recording is 1839. That makes sense/is sensical.
CT
Member # 8342

So it used to be a word that was used fairly commonly but then fell out of favor, and some 150+ years later you essentially made it up out of whole cloth, as far as you knew until you checked the OED.

That's just crazypants. [Wink]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
but cool. [Wink]

I love the OED.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say, "That's just crazypants. [Wink] " I'm absolutely picturing a pic of your cat right next to it.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZy2I8csVQU&feature=player_embedded

[Big Grin]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear! I'd never seen that, CT, and when I watched it just now I was sitting in a restaurant watching on my phone waiting for food. Initially I was embarrassed despite my laughter and then I figured it's funny and put my hands down and enjoyed my strange looks, heh.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

My work here is done.

Hee.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.