FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly to return to cable!

Author Topic: Firefly to return to cable!
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. . . already got the dvd's and it's available on Netflix too, but I'm still doing a happydance about it.

Browncoats Rejoice!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the other day that, had Firefly survived - even if it had been a wild success and run for years - there's no doubt that the series would have finished by now. (I don't know if that makes me feel better, but at least it means that some alt-universe-me has the complete collection of all the DVDs on her bookshelf. [Smile] )

It was made nine years ago!

That people (and me) still love it as much as they do is some kind of miracle.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a commercial saying that "One of the greatest science fiction series is returning to tv." It really got my hopes up for a minute before I was let down... I don't know why since most of the actors are in fairly successful shows, but whatever.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
But does anyone get or watch the Science Channel?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the science channel.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan Fillion said if he won the lottery he would finance Firefly his own damn self. I love him.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
How much lottery does one need to win to finance a show? I bet they're pretty expensive.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I was thinking the other day that, had Firefly survived - even if it had been a wild success and run for years - there's no doubt that the series would have finished by now.

It would have, in fact, probably have run itself into the ground.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Even after the movie, the overall Firefly/Serenity story line is far from resolved. There is much more story to tell, as long as you have wrong on the throne and the "brownshirt" heroes forced underground.

I am glad for Summer Glau that she found a really choice role in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and another interesting (if peculiar) role in The Cape.

Nathan Fillion stars now in Castle, though since I have not seen it I have nothing to say about it.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty darn good, actually. My wife and I enjoy it.

On a completely unrelated note, Nathan Filion rocks in person. Probably the most down to earth (no pun intended) celebrity I have ever met.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my!

Ok, he can be Spiderman now, I wont complain one bit.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I know the feeling...I was glad even though I have it on both DVD and bluray.

In the interview he commented that if he won 300 million he would buy the rights...not sure if that is the actual $ amount it would take, or if he just pulled it out of the air.

I do love his new show (Castle), but I really do wish we could have firefly back though.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I have a sinking feeling that Whedon will announce that hes sick of everyone centering on his past work and restricting his ability to move on and do something differant.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Whedon is probably as cheesed as the rest of this series' fans.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always gotten the impression Whedon appreciates the fans' passion for Firefly. I think the real problem would be that if a ton of money showed up and everyone wanted him to make Firefly again, he might be too gunshy by now to do it.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, he did it already. He got his second chance, made "Serenity" just the way he wanted to, and may not want to return to that story. They've done some comics, including one that went into Book's backstory, and that seems to be enough for him. He's been extremely resistant to any novels set in that world, for example.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

We have seen what happened to the Angel and Buffy franchises when he wasnt in control, so I understand why he wouldnt want someone else writing complete books on his work.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
It's pretty darn good, actually. My wife and I enjoy it.

On a completely unrelated note, Nathan Filion rocks in person. Probably the most down to earth (no pun intended) celebrity I have ever met.

On a related note
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
AchillesHeel, are you saying that Whedon is opposed to fanfic versions of Firefly/Serenity? According to fanfiction.net, there are currently 5,799 fanfics based on Firefly, in their demesne alone.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Whedon has no problem with fanfic (and good thing too, or I'd be embarrassed about mine...). But we're talking about official, licensed, money-making additions to the franchise.

Before the movie came out, PocketBooks had plans for at least 2 original novels in the Serenity universe. Pitches for them were on their desk, from Margaret Weis, Keith R.A. DeCandido (who did the novelization), Steven Brust and more, but reportedly Whedon sat on them and ultimately the plans faded away. DeCandido has been openly upset about this.

Brust finally released his completed novel as fanfic: My Own Kind of Freedom.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Im not talking about fanfic, rather I am refering to lacking quality of the Angel and Buffy comics as they are so far removed from what the franchises were.

quote:
He's been extremely resistant to any novels set in that world, for example.
I was responding to that and the statement, not fanfic. Sorry for any confusion.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Whedon's Astonishing X Men is more or less (cool) fanfiction.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

No, no, it's licensed so it's not fan fiction. Which is, really, the only distinction (quality being a separate issue).

(Also, I love that series. I suspect he quit reading X-Men about the same time I did, because everything IO loved about the series came roaring back with his scripts and the amazing artwork from John Cassaday.)

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
As for it being back on cable, does anyone here really not own it on DVD already?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
No, no, it's licensed so it's not fan fiction. Which is, really, the only distinction (quality being a separate issue).

Yeah, thats the less part. But for all creative intents and purposes, it's fanfiction.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
In other Firefly news:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/23/bring.back.firefly/index.html?hpt=C2

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.