FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alexander Technique

Author Topic: Alexander Technique
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one know anything about or any good resources (online or books) about the Alexander Technique?

Thanks!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I know two people who got really into the Alexander Technique, and two more who simply practiced it via books.

Here's what you need to know about it:

1. It is "Alternative medicine."

2. It's about as effective as you would expect from a semi-vitalistic practice a guy made in the 1890s that uses lingo like 'Psycho-physical Unity.'

3. As far as these things go, the Alexander Technique is actually pretty honest when it comes to using it as posture correction for oratory/acting purposes, dance form, etc. It is not devoid of important lessons and potential benefit, especially if you're a chronic sloucher.

4. If, however, the motivation for Alexander Technique perusal comes from lower back pain or physical malady, look right past it to orthopedic masseuses and physical therapy.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, mine is actually related to #3, so I might get a book or two to start, thanks!
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you in school? I know in my theatre program there was a class on Alexander Technique and Yoga for the Acting majors. You might be able to find something.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Several music major colleagues of mine explored the Alexander Technique in their studies. I suppose the idea was to reduce tension, thereby increasing one's ability to efficiently use air. Also, the decreased tension would likely go a long way towards increasing technical facility. Or rather, tension can cause some rather serious issues therewith.

p.s. is 'therewith' a word? hm...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.