FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Academy Awards Response

Author Topic: Academy Awards Response
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it wasn't the worst Academy Awards ever. Its brevity alone keeps it ahead of several stinkers. However, I do think last night was the most blah Academy Awards ever. No energy, no real drama. I was glad Kings Speech won best picture but would have been fine with most of the other nominees. There just didn't seem to be much emotional investment in the entire process by anybody. And James Franco was stoned.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
True Grit went 0 for 10, securing a place amongst The Turning Point, The Color Purple, and Gangs of New York as films which garnered double digit nominations but no wins.

I didn't watch the broadcast. My wife and I watched The Maltese Falcon, which I had dvr'ed.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually preferred James Franco to Anne Hathaway last night. I found him far more entertaining than, well, most of the show, to be quite honest.

I am glad "The King's Speech" won a lot of awards, though, because the movie is wonderful.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, I felt like Franco really phoned it in. Didn't seem interested at all. I didn't watch the whole thing, but the only part I would say I enjoyed (and yeah, I know, the goal isn't really to be enjoyable, is it?) was the intro to the best pictures segment, with the voice over from the Kings Speech and clips from all the movies. I thought that was well done. Everything else was pretty pedestrian.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
I question whether Social Network should have trumped King's Speech. Then again, I haven't seen Speech. Looking at the Metacritic, however, Social Network was FAR more acclaimed.

I listened to a bit of NPR on the subject. They felt that (though Social Network may have deserved it more) the King's Speech was a safer bet, and more respectable choice, for the older crowd. I don't think "technophobia" should have anything to do with it -- Social Network brought the total package to the table (except for, maybe, a compelling ending).

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was upset about the Social Network snubs but then I realized it was the Oscars (and therefore a joke). So I went to bed.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this year probably had the most high-quality "best picture" nominees than any recent years. The only real complaint I have is that there can only be on winner in each category. In another year, True Grit would have easily been an awards-dominating film. Same for Black Swan. And as much as I love The King's Speech, I probably would have chosen Danny Boyle for best director, for sheer difficulty alone.

I actually really dislike The Social Network so I'm glad that The King's Speech beat it in multiple categories.

If I could have changed any outcome, I'd have given the Best Animated Feature award to How to Train Your Dragon instead of Toy Story 3.

As for the hosting, I enjoyed quite a few of the skits. But I felt bad for Anne Hathaway, it seemed like she was nervous and trying way too hard. And James Franco....as much as I adore him as an actor, and I REALLY do, his stoned behavior was annoying. I can't believe that someone so intelligent would behave so inappropriately on such an important night.

At the very least, I got a good ringtone out of the evening. "This ball of light, this tiny ball of light. Floated through my chest, floated, floated through my chest..."

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Black Swan, 127 Hours, and Inception all should have won Best Picture before Social Network. I think it deserved to win Adapted Screenplay, but I think it was pretty ridiculous that it beat out 127 Hours and Inception for Best Soundtrack.

Natalie Portman was pretty much guaranteed to win Best Actress, and she absolutely earned every inch of that award with her performance in Black Swan. That movie blew me away.

I'm glad that although Inception was bumped out of all the big awards, it swept some of the minor technical awards. I think it was a consolation prize for a great movie, and I'm glad it got that recognition.

I absolutely love How to Train Your Dragon. I think it's excellent. But Toy Story 3 was pretty amazing. I was close to tears at the one part at the end. I think if I had to vote, I'd say that Toy Story 3 had the better story, but I liked the animation and performance a little better in How to Train Your Dragon. I wasn't upset with the award though. I think Powell should have gotten a nod for the score.

I didn't get to see King's Speech, and I'd really like to. It must be fantastic to beat out all these other movies that I think were absolutely top notch. I still think the Academies should be like a Peabody. If you're good enough, you get an award, if not, then you don't. Multiple awards that recognize excellence so timing is no longer an issue.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The King's Speech was the best movie, and the most interesting movie, that I have seen in years. I have not seen the Social Network because it simply does not interest me but I know how swish a writer Aaron Sorkin can be.

However, The King's Speech really was fantastic, and I was so pleased that such a quiet film won. No flash. Just a very, very, very good movie.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The King's Speech was also the most formulaic piece of oscar bait drivel ever made.

It's an alright movie but nothing fantastic.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
The King's Speech was the best movie, and the most interesting movie, that I have seen in years. I have not seen the Social Network because it simply does not interest me but I know how swish a writer Aaron Sorkin can be.

However, The King's Speech really was fantastic, and I was so pleased that such a quiet film won. No flash. Just a very, very, very good movie.

Did you see the other nominees? I've yet to talk to anyone who has seen all the biggies.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.