FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texas school district bans extra-curricular clubs, rather than allow GSA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Texas school district bans extra-curricular clubs, rather than allow GSA
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.kristv.com/news/fbisd-pushes-some-clubs-off-campus-following-gay-straight-alliance-controversy/

Remember that high school that canceled their prom last year because an openly gay girl wanted to attend with her girlfriend? Yeah, this is like that, but more so.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Tejas!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread could turn the whole world cynical.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
YouTubes are infallible

oh my god

[Frown] my state

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlphaEnder
Member # 12514

- posted      Profile for AlphaEnder   Email AlphaEnder         Edit/Delete Post 
So, essentially they decided that rather than bow to pressure from GSA or LGBT or whatever anything like that is called, they would just eliminate all the other clubs? Good heavens, that school district must be run by pre-schoolers to be that immature and childish. That's breaking all the other toys and taking yours home so the other kids can't play with them. I couldn't care less what your sexual orientation is, so long as you don't hit on me or my family, so I'm all for letting there be a club, but this is not a proper response by the school/district.

Alpha

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha, I thought you should know that your remarks came off as sounding pretty anti-homosexual, and because I sometimes speak and give offense where none was meant, I thought I'd point out why the thoughts you expressed sounded hostile to homosexuals.

One, 'whatever something like that is called' conveys a bunch of scorn, though that can be easy to misinterpret onlin. GSA actually stands for Gay Straight Alliance-and since that's a
fundental part of the story it's difficult to miss, suggesting your remark was a shot and that you're not actually apathetic.

Which leads directly to the second point-why do you care if a homosexual 'hits in' you or your family, more than once anyway? Are they not to be accorded the same right as everyone else, to express a polite interest in someone they find attractive until shut down? If not, why not? Are you and your family so attractive to homosexuals as to be somehow irresistible, or are they not to be cconsidered morally trustworthy enough to restrain themselves?

These are just some of the ideas contained within the ideas you expressed that make it come off as hostile to homosexuals-I just thought you should know.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I don't think it sounded anti-homosexual at all. I'm even part of a GSA and I can't keep the acronyms straight. (or keep the acronyms gay durr hurr hurr hurr)
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
This happened here in Utah a few years back in at least one school district.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alpha, I thought you should know that your remarks came off as sounding pretty anti-homosexual, and because I sometimes speak and give offense where none was meant, I thought I'd point out why the thoughts you expressed sounded hostile to homosexuals.
Ah, I think his phrasing was more tone deaf than homophobic.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought the remark sounded anti-homosexual, but that was almost a good thing, i.e. even the people who don't like homosexuality think this was a mean, stupid decision.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh--my brain--.

The article is fine. Why the school made the decision should be addressed. They probably did so to avoid confrontations with the wackier of the parents--but we don't know.

But reading the comments--it hurts my brain. Some people are so committed to their short sighted, narrow minded, "its all about me" attitude that it is painful.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Would people feel differently if this situation were about a group of students who were attempting to force the school to let them form an anti-homosexuality club?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Would people feel differently if this situation were about a group of students who were attempting to force the school to let them form an anti-homosexuality club?

Those two things are not analogous. One is a club for members of an often-persecuted minority; the other is a club for people who share an opinion.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

The GSA is not a club for an often-persecuted minority. It is a club that includes both gay and straight students who share the opinion that there is too much bigotry against gays and who work to fight it. Would it be different if the students were attempting to start an equivalent club, except with the exact opposite opinion and goal?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
A club that includes both gay and straight students who share the opinion that there is too much bigotry against straights and who work to fight it?

They'd be wrong, but I can't see people getting all that excited about it.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

I mean a club of students who think homosexuality is wrong and work to promote that view. Would it be okay for a school to block students from forming such a club, and how far could the school go if they attempted to legally force the school to let them make it?
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Huh? A GSA group is not pro-homosexuality. It's anti- bullying, discrimination, abuse, depression, and despair. The only thing "gay" about such clubs is that they are focused on mitigating these things for gay teens. I can't think of what the opposite would be - a group that encourages beating up the homos?

ETA: From the wiki page: "The goal of most, if not all, gay–straight alliances is to make their school community safe and welcoming to all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity."

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

A group that encourages bullying and discrimination would be a fair example. How far should the school go to block such a club?
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
A group that encourages bullying and discrimination would be a fair example. How far should the school go to block such a club?

That should be pretty easy. You can set content-neutral guidelines that determine which groups are permitted. For instance, you could probably prevent any group that encourages illegal activity or which advocates contravening school or district policies.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
I mean a club of students who think homosexuality is wrong and work to promote that view.

A club of gays and straights that think homosexuality is wrong and work to promote that view?

What like Republicans? [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So if we have students trying to form a club promoting tolerance, understanding and friendship we should also allow students to form a club promoting hatred, bullying and discrimination?

No. I don't think ANY club that promotes hatred, bullying and discrimination should be allowed.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

That seems like a reasonable policy. Schools certainly shouldn't allow hate clubs as extracurricular activities. But then what should the school do if the students threatened to take it to the courts, and if the law was written (perhaps unintentionally) in such a way that they might be able to win such a lawsuit? Should it give in and accept a club that it believes is harmful for the students and most likely disruptive?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an opinion?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

My opinion is that they probably shouldn't give in if they have other options... but banning all clubs permanently is too far. If the only options were ban all clubs or accept harmful clubs, I suspect accepting harmful clubs is the lesser of two evils. There are too many positive extracurricular groups that would outweigh the negative effects of any one group.

In the real-life case, the school must believe the GSA is either harmful or will be very disruptive. I'm not sure what leads them to believe this, but it does seem like schools should have some degree of control. Having said that, its absurd to claim that whatever harm they think the GSA is going to cause would outweigh the benefits of every other extracurricular. I'd suspect any student in any extracurricular activity at the school, even those who hold anti-gay feelings, would agree on that. It is pretty clearly not in the interests of the students to do what the school system is doing here - regardless of where you stand on the political issues.

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much money they are going to save by cutting all clubs?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that makes me sad is that some people's narrative of this event will be "those gays ruined it for everyone - now we can't have any clubs."
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
One of the things that makes me sad is that some people's narrative of this event will be "those gays ruined it for everyone - now we can't have any clubs."

those women ruined it for everyone, now we can't have any sports
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A club of gays and straights that think homosexuality is wrong and work to promote that view?
But you see, there are some that believe their faith demands they do just that. Worse, any club that promotes understanding and tolerance of Gays is a club that is attacking their faith. They believe that homosexuality can not be tolerated at any level and must be wiped out.

The damage this does to our children--gay and straight--is not as important to them as maintaining the freedom to practice their faith in as close minded and misguided way as they feel comfortable with.

They believe that Tolerating Gays = Destroying Christianity (or occasionally Islam).

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
While I do not think clubs based on sexual preference should be allowed in schools, I do think the GSA should be allowed. It is primarily against bullying, not promoting an agenda.

And banning all clubs? Come on. How are all of those comic book and anime lovers going to socialize now? [Razz]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
How are all of those comic book and anime lovers going to socialize now? [Razz]

Online, as God intended.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlphaEnder
Member # 12514

- posted      Profile for AlphaEnder   Email AlphaEnder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

One, 'whatever something like that is called' conveys a bunch of scorn, though that can be easy to misinterpret onlin. GSA actually stands for Gay Straight Alliance-and since that's a
fundental part of the story it's difficult to miss, suggesting your remark was a shot and that you're not actually apathetic.

Which leads directly to the second point-why do you care if a homosexual 'hits in' you or your family, more than once anyway? Are they not to be accorded the same right as everyone else, to express a polite interest in someone they find attractive until shut down? If not, why not? Are you and your family so attractive to homosexuals as to be somehow irresistible, or are they not to be cconsidered morally trustworthy enough to restrain themselves?

These are just some of the ideas contained within the ideas you expressed that make it come off as hostile to homosexuals-I just thought you should know.

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to convey scorn. I know that GSA stands for Gay Straight Alliance (I helped set one up in my high school), and that LGBT means Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender, but I didn't know if there were any other names for groups out there. I meant it as sort of blanket statement for any names of groups I might have missed, not as something rude.

As far as a homosexual hitting on me; the first time, of course, that's not an issue because I wouldn't be offended if a heterosexual hit on me once. However, if I express distaste for either of those scenarios, I would expect it not to happen. I thought that was somewhat implied; it made sense in my mind at least.

Thank you for telling me though; I have no ill will towards homosexuals. I don't believe they'll destroy America and that we hold and cherish dear. I have a homosexual uncle, so I try to be a little empathetic. If it doesn't come off that way, I apologize. Please just read it as such.

@Faust: what do you mean by tone deaf? I only ask so I can avoid doing whatever that is again in the future.

@Raymond: I personally don't agree with homosexuality, as in I have no desire to perform it, but I'm not going to say I'm anti-homosexuality. Like I said above, I hold no ill will towards homosexuals, nor do I approve. I just don't really take a stance because it's something personal, and I don't believe in meddling with people's personal lives.

Alpha

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha,

I can't speak for Foust, but I suspect that he likely meant something like tone deaf as in unaware that some of your remarks sounded bad-possibly in the ways I described.

Sort of like saying, "I have a homosexual uncle," can sound bad depending on the context. It's the sort of remark that can be interpreted to be used as a credibility shield. In this situation the shield would be, "Don't accuse me of any sort of homophobia-I've got a gay uncle, I can't possibly be homophobic," depending on the other context. Also, why does it need to be mentioned? Shouldn't your remarks stand on their own merits as to what your real thoughts on homosexuals are? Those are some of my thoughts on 'tone deaf' and what things sound like, but again, I don't speak for Foust.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Online, as God intended.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't see why they wouldn't want the Girl Scouts of America in their school.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz then they'd hafta let the BoyScouts in. And any dude who's ever Scouted 'd hafta tell ya that he still hasta wash his ears out with soap every time he remembers the lyrics of the ol' campfire songs.

[ March 01, 2011, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I do not think clubs based on sexual preference should be allowed in schools, I do think the GSA should be allowed. It is primarily against bullying, not promoting an agenda.

And banning all clubs? Come on. How are all of those comic book and anime lovers going to socialize now? [Razz]

The CSU/Student Advocacy associations should be having a field day there right now.

Than again I'm in Canada, the district would be awash in class action law suits if they tried this.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I just don't see why they wouldn't want the Girl Scouts of America in their school.

Well, it IS cookie season . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nutrition requirements, you know.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Plus some of those cookie-selling scouts can get practically rabid.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Online, as God intended.
[Big Grin]
Does pedantic bickering count as socialization now? Nice!
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
See, to me the gay uncle was mentioned in his post as to why he tries to be more tolerant. That's completely different than claiming that he can't be homophobic because of it, IMO.

Just because I actually DO have a lot of black friends doesn't mean I AM bigoted. In fact, a large part of WHY I am not bigoted is BECAUSE of my black friends. I can't believe stereotypes that run so completely counter to my actual experiences with people of different races, the cognitive dissonance is too great. [Wink]

I believe that it is far harder to judge people based on race, religion, and sexual preference when you don't know anyone who fits into whatever group you are bigoted against. I don't have a poor view of other people based on race because of how I was raised, but also because I have had friends from all over the world all of my life, so when I DID experience bigotry it just didn't fit my world view, even as a kid.

I don't think that Alpha's original post was bigoted, and his clarification was clear as day to me.

YMMV.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, call the waaaambulance for all the whineos !

I really don’t give a rat’s adrenal gland why this school district banned all clubs from using school facilities, I’m just glad they did. Nor do I give a weasel’s spleen what that club’s agenda is, they and most other clubs have no business using school facilities.

(I'm not even convinced public schools should have huge sports programs.)

I just wish more school districts would do this - especially the one I’m paying property and other taxes to support. For as long as I can remember my family and I have been subsidizing other people’s causes, hobbies, and activities. AND I’M SICK AND TIRED OF IT. I’ve never asked other people to subsidize my hobbies, and I shouldn’t have to subsidize theirs.

So, any people who want their own club should just stop whining about it and form their own club on their own property with their own money on their own time and leave the rest of the people in their communities the hell alone.

(If I sound angry and disgusted, it’s because I am. [Mad] )

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So you'd rather that the school facilities sat empty and unused?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iglee:
Quick, call the waaaambulance for all the whineos !

I really don’t give a rat’s adrenal gland why this school district banned all clubs from using school facilities, I’m just glad they did. Nor do I give a weasel’s spleen what that club’s agenda is, they and most other clubs have no business using school facilities.

(I'm not even convinced public schools should have huge sports programs.)

I just wish more school districts would do this - especially the one I’m paying property and other taxes to support. For as long as I can remember my family and I have been subsidizing other people’s causes, hobbies, and activities. AND I’M SICK AND TIRED OF IT. I’ve never asked other people to subsidize my hobbies, and I shouldn’t have to subsidize theirs.

So, any people who want their own club should just stop whining about it and form their own club on their own property with their own money on their own time and leave the rest of the people in their communities the hell alone.

You do realize the effect your plan would have on the dropout rate?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
And you do realize that colleges these days virtually insist applicants have participated in sports, music, or other school-organized clubs?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

(Not in Canada, come up North! [Wink] )
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
well, isn't it better to pay more for police and jails when these kids end up droppin out and with little connection to society rather than giving them something fun and relatively cheap? I know I would rather spend more money on protecting MY safety than give someone else something they don't deserve and have done nothing to earn.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by iglee:
I really don’t give a rat’s adrenal gland why this school district banned all clubs from using school facilities, I’m just glad they did.

This is like happening 'I don't care that this was a an act of stinging social discrimination against gays enacted via a school's management!' basically because you hate clubs just that much.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that he is just very possessive regarding his vermin organs.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.