FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MOTIFS IN OSC BOOKS

Author Topic: MOTIFS IN OSC BOOKS
scher
Member # 12526

- posted      Profile for scher           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read most of OSC's books and I love every one of them! He is a genious. However I have noticed several themes and motifs that you can trace through out most of his books. For example:

1. In a compound for a long time: In Lost Gate (North family compound), Worthing Saga (Worthing Farms), Enders Series (The world of Path)... any other thoughts?

2. Manipulating the Universe with Powers: Alvin Maker (Doodle Bug), Lost Gate (Inner Self), Enders Game (Aiua)... any other thoughts?

3. Children Rising to power by being very smart/skilled: Enders Game (Ender Wiggin and Peter Wiggin), Alvin Maker (Alvin Maker), Lost Gate (Danny North), Memory of Earth (Nafai), Song Master (Song Bird), Worthing Saga (Jason Worthing on Capital)

4. Many of Cards characters have very similar internal dialogues. Their characters also tend to deal with similar situations and moral dilemas. some of these include:
- does power give you the right to manipulate others
- do my parents love me?
- Opposing Political views and how they effect situations
- Is it ok to kill for survival

5. Religion as a governing force
Worthing Saga - worship of jason
Homecoming - Oversoul worship
Enders Saga - Necessity to abandon religion for war/ Catholosism on Lucitania...
Lost Gate - Polytheism Panthions
Alvin Maker - Christianity and Alvin's religion

6. Mormon Motifs:
Doesn't Alvin remind you of Joseph Smith but with magical powers? I mean he gathers people together from all over to a place where he builds a perfect city. Like Mormons and Utah.

Can you think of any more repetitive themes in Cards amazing works? I'm not complaining, I love these themes/motifs but it is fun to point them out sometimes.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This post would probably get more of the desired attention if it were posted over on the "Discussions about Orson Scott Card" side of the forum. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin is Joseph Smith with magical powers.

And Nafai is Nephi from the Book of Mormon... [Smile]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hef
Member # 12497

- posted      Profile for hef           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one:
7. Damaged children who are healed/ or need healing.
Alvin Maker's son in Crystal City
Bean's kids in the Shadow books
The son in Lost Boys.

Am I missing any?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... aren't most of the things you've mentioned (at least 1-4) pretty common motif's? I mean, it's not like Card has any sort of monopoly on them.

"Compounds" are very common in sci-fi, and even more common in literature before that by way of the uninhabited island. That sort of thing can be traced back to ancient times.

"Manipulating the Universe through Powers" - again, it's everywhere! Dune, Star Wars, a good 80%+ of comic books ever written...

Also, prodigies are also remarkably common because they make wonderful Messiah figures and because it is an excellent way to polarize a character.

As for your point #4... those are some of the biggest questions/situations humans face - ever.

I don't have a problem with him addressing these themes over and over since they're very important themes. It is sometimes a little frustrating that, once you've read enough of his stuff, you can predict exactly how certain characters will respond to certain dilemmas.

For instance, we frequently run across characters that are extremely insightful about marriage and how the sexes relate to one another. At some point, the character will go on a rant about how men and women are best together, but despite that fact, no one really ever knows anyone else. As interesting as that viewpoint is, I think I may just vomit if I have to read it one more time! *smile*

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scher
Member # 12526

- posted      Profile for scher           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely. They are common themes/motifs. They seem to be popular with OSC. He really makes them work.

His characters do rant quite a bit about sex and gender and marriage. example:

bean and petra
ender and novinea
peter and Royal Mother

one of his favorite and most repeated themes is I think societies dependance on monogamous, hetrosexual relationships. He talks in almost every book about how the only way for society to survive is if it supports reproduction.

Homecoming: When they leave their world they must partner off and marriage becomes forever instead of a temp contract

Worthing: excessive flighty relationships leades along with somec to the death of capital. Namely the story about the vidloop stars

Ender: Every discussion about adult bean and petra in the shadow series. And when bean decides not to reproduce and petras whole tirade about how he needs to to be truly human. Also in Enders Game when Graff is discussing the ban on 3rds... and its ending causing/releaving a tension that was both necessary and destructive to society.

Alvin Maker: One part that comes to mind is when alvins brother rapes the rich woman and alvin makes her husband forgive her. They discuss the principal there

Empire: Pretty much the whole book series is about how societies fall when the gov is uncondusive to reproduction.

I cannot wait until the next Mithermage book. I hope that he finishes the Empire series. I really want to know what happens with Torrent.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.