FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS History/Doctrine Questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LDS History/Doctrine Questions
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
First things first, let me state that I am a fan of science. That being said, science is not the one and only answer to everything. There is no such thing. We need science just like we need philosophy and art.

Ever heard of the phrase "Can't see the forest for the trees?". Sometimes people can get lost in the details and loose the big picture. This particularly true for science as it is so very subdivided into specialties, as well as that science deals very much with data, variables, control groups, etc, or to put it another way, a lot of details.

I'm not saying that there is something inherently wrong with science or scientists. What I mean is that to be a full rounded human one must hold more then one ideal as important.

A person who ignores science and only thinks in terms of philosophy will not be able to function on any meaningful level (ever read A Confederacy of Dunces?). And conversely, someone who abandons all emotional endeavors in favor of science will be in danger of loosing their humanity. Sometimes the question is should we do this, not can we.

To Rakeesh...I do not mean that understanding devalues things. I do believe that a balance must be struck and anytime we are too over balanced one way or another that we will lose sight of something vital and important.
quote:
Personally I think 'wonder' is only valuable if it drives us to attempt (and hopefully succeed) to understand something.
I couldn't disagree with you more. There is a magic to the unknown, to the possible, which sparks the imagination and soothes the soul.

I am not saying that we should be deliberately left in a state of ignorance, but instead we should not only value knowledge.

[ April 04, 2011, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more.
I'll bet you could. Let's try!

Puppies are grotesque and should be stepped on at every opportunity.

Only the mentally deficient should be allowed higher education.

Across the board, the internet has been a 100% positive influence in how we treat others with respect and kindness.

I am completely serious with this post.

I am a pretty, pretty girl.

Sean Connery was the worst James Bond.

Do you disagree with any of these statements more, even a tiny bit more, than you disagree with what Rakeesh said?

Let me warn you now -- if the answer is "no", than I'm just going to have to try harder.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
From the back of my planner:

"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globes of gas atone. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination - stuck on this carosel, my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light...
For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined! Why do poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia, man must be silent?"
--Richard Feynman

1. He has a point.
2. I notice his particular imaginary antagonists are the poets, not the pious.
3. Why isn't there more poetry about science? Poor Tom Lehrer can't carry the whole bag. Or is there and I missed it?
4. I can't imagine worrying myself much over whether other people are feeling what I want them to feel when I want them to feel it, especially when it comes to their choice of mirabilia.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And conversely, someone who abandons all emotional endeavors in favor of science will be in danger of loosing their humanity.
What you're actually saying is:

quote:
someone who abandons all emotional endeavors will be in danger of loosing their humanity.
Which is true (for one definition of human, anyway). But framing the question in terms of "science," you are inherently suggesting that science is for some reason more likely to do this than other things. That science is the *cause*. and if you are going to make statements like that, you need to back them up.

That said, I mostly agree with what mr port just said [edit: 2 posts ago]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
someone who abandons all emotional endeavors will be in danger of loosing their humanity.
This isn't even possible. Short of a stroke affecting parts of the brain, there isn't even a remote danger of human beings suddenly losing all emotions. That's not how people work - emotional endevours are our lives' works. Our driving forces. That someone doesn't say "oooooo" very loudly before looking in a microscope doesn't mean they've turned into a robot.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That said, I mostly agree with what mr port just said.
You think that I'm a pretty pretty girl? Finally!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3. Why isn't there more poetry about science? Poor Tom Lehrer can't carry the whole bag. Or is there and I missed it?
This is a question I've been trying to answer for the past month. Part of the answer is "there's more than you think." But another part of the answer is "a lot of it kinda sucks" and I am trying to fix that. My goal for the year is to produce/acquire a collection of songs (ranging from funny to serious) that explore the beauty of science and humanity, that are designed to be sung communally.

One of the better ones I've found is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-vDhYTlCNw

quote:
4. I can't imagine worrying myself much over whether other people are feeling what I want them to feel when I want them to feel it, especially when it comes to their choice of mirabilia.
Would you be worried if it was a common misconception that people who felt the way you do about things *are in danger of losing their humanity?*
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There are common misperceptions out there that I belong to a delusional cult that brainwashes people and makes you grown horns. There is a common misperception out that my gender is inherently bad at endeavours requiring intelligence and that my dearest cherished ambition is to provoke desire and after I can't do that anymore, I may as well die. There is a common misperception that I belong to a nation of infidels whose lives are worth nothing. There is a common misperception that my state of origin means I'm an ignorant racist too dumb to notice when I'm being condescended to.

Were that misperception to exist, it would be the least of the lies people tell each other about aspects of me.

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
This is a question I've been trying to answer for the past month. Part of the answer is "there's more than you think." But another part of the answer is "a lot of it kinda sucks" and I am trying to fix that. My goal for the year is to produce/acquire a collection of songs (ranging from funny to serious) that explore the beauty of science and humanity, that are designed to be sung communally.

One of the better ones I've found is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-vDhYTlCNw

That is a great start to a worthwhile endeavour.

My only contribution would be my high school chem's teacher song teaching about moles:

Mass over formula weight
That's the way to make the mole
Then divide the largest by the smallest
Push the little buttons is your goal
Multiply it, multiply it, multiply it 'till its whole.

It's not "Ave Maria", but I still remember it and can do the calculations.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk&feature=related
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

This probably warrants a new thread.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more.
Sean Connery was the worst James Bond.
You monster!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
m_p_h

While I am sure you are a pretty pretty girl, I stand by what I said (just because I want you to keep trying).

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
That said, I mostly agree with what mr port just said.
You think that I'm a pretty pretty girl? Finally!
Are we back on this AGAIN?!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Still.
katharina
Member # 827

Speaking of xkcd, has this been linked already and I missed it?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yup.

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Where does this idea come from that a scientific understanding of the universe makes things less wonderful and awe inspiring? I direct you to xkcd as definitive proof of my point:

http://xkcd.com/877/

katharina
Member # 827

I seem to see many more refuations of the idea that science makes the world less awe-some than actual proponents of that idea.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend the book "Science and Poetry" by Mary Midgley. It's a delightful and thought provoking read and gives a great deal of insight on the history and evolution of the divide between the humanities and the physical sciences.

[ April 04, 2011, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

http://www.sfpoetry.com/

Not always about science, not always good, but usually worth checking out.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.