FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Android Apps

Author Topic: Android Apps
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have an android phone?

Two questions:

1. Is there a good "to do" list app? What I'd like is one that lets you have a "daily" list (to do items that re-appear every day) and a "once and done" list.

2. Any other apps you couldn't live without?

Rock on.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Cosmetic - Look up any live backgrounds made by KittehFace software.

2. To Do - link your phone up with google's (unmatched) calendar system, and changes made from a computer to your google account will be present on your phone, and vice versa.

3. Facebook and Twitter apps to taste.

4. Skype app allows for free calls to other skype users. Awesome, but admittedly useless if your friends are old and/or otherwise technologically helpless.

5. Google Maps.

6. DroidLight and/or other devices that allow you to toggle on the phone's flash LED, to use it as a flashlight.

7. Compass, if you've got a phone with good internal magnetic sensors.

8. eBuddy or another decent IM client.

9. The Weather Channel app with widget.

10. Pandora Internet Radio.

11. Audiomanager is a must have.

12. An app killer is a probably should have.

13. Movies by Flixter will allow you to get an on-the-spot listing of movies playing in your area, sorted by rating, and by location.

14. Ringdroid.

15. Visual Voicemail.

etc etc etc etc

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an android phone for a week but have not done much with it yet.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call on Flixster. There are even some theatres you can buy tickets for on the app itself now.

Do a seach for Epic Fail and Demotivational. Those two apps make me laugh on a daily basis.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The apps I use regularly:

Google Calendar
Smooth Calendar
Barcode Scanner
Google Shopper
Google Contacts
Google Maps
Google Reader
Facebook
Tweetcaster
Pandora
Evernote
Dropbox
AudioManager
Kindle for Android
Angry Birds (Seasons and Rio)

Ones I use rarely but recommend in specific cases:
Google Sky Map
Google Translate
Compass
Moviefone
Abduction!
DroidLight
SCVNGR

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graeme
Member # 12543

- posted      Profile for Graeme           Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to several of the above, I use Mint (budgeting app) and an app called Upvise, a shopping list app that syncs across devices; one household can share an account. (Though it can take a few minutes for it to sync.) Upvise has made weekend shopping a lot easier.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Mint, or I have started using it recently anyways. I also have Pandora, whihc is cool.

1. Flashlight
2. AVG Anti-Virus
3. Barcode Scanner - checks for competing prices
4. Ringtone Maker
5. Epocrates - medical app that is the best I have ever seen. Includes a drug guide that updates daily, a drug interaction feature for up to 20 drugs at a time. I use the free version, but may actually pay for the full features, which include a ton of more info.
6. ThinkFree Office- basically a clone of MS Office for free. Lets me read PDF's and edit them. Adobe Reader sucks, because all you can do is read them with it, so I installed this to replace it.
7. The Weather Channel
8. Places- uses GPS to find places near you. You can search specific names of places, or look for categories of places. Helps find the nearest gas stations, nearest supermarkets....
9. Navigation - GPS turn by turn instructions, makes having a GPS in your car redundant.
10. Google Maps- improves maps, updates often to make sure they are more accurate.
11. Facebook.

I also love ...

12. Lookout. It is a security app that creates an account on their site, free of charge. It backs up your contact info, helps keep your phone secure, and locks your phone down if it is stolen. You can even access your phone remotely if it is stolen and cause your phone to scream! [Big Grin]

[ April 08, 2011, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Urban Spoon is great if you hang out with people who aren't good at picking a restaurant.

Alchemy is the one all my freinds are addicted to now. You start with Earth, Aire, Fire, and Water and have to figure out how to combine them to make hundreds of new pictures, most of which combine to make new pictures, and on and on.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought a week ago a personal barcode scanner was as handy as it turns out to be.

There's some great stuff you've all come up with. Thank you!

And keep 'em coming.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded an app to track volleyball stats for my daughter's games. Outstanding. [Smile] At the end of the game you click one button and it emails you a csv file you can upload into Excel and track the hitting percentages, serving percentages, hits, kills, assists, etc.

And by the way, Google sky map is just too cool not to have installed on your phone.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Astrid is a very good to do list.

If you exercise, you can't beat CardioTrainer.

Just in case you didn't know, Amazon has it's own App store that it is promoting by giving away an app a day.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wifi Analyzer is a handy tool that shows nearby hot spots, their relative signal strengths, and what channels they are on.

Astro is a nice file browser that will also back up your apps.

Wordfeud is a fun Scrabble clone.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out there's a feature the iphone has that android lacks!

life spyware that tracks and records everywhere you go

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Google Listen as a podcast client and I recommend it for the price (free).

Non-free podcast clients might be better but I haven't felt any need to find out.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Some that haven't been mentioned

soundhound - recognize songs
vignette - photo taking and filtering
quickpic - viewing photos and videos
galcon - cool space game
space physics - fun game
powerAMP - good music player
Time-Lapse - time lapse photography
Aldiko - ebook reader
Toddler Lock - keeps the 2 year old happy
Zillow - home prices

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Zillow app.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.