FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just got a Kindle - And I have a question

Author Topic: Just got a Kindle - And I have a question
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased a Kindle a couple of weeks ago, and I went out and got the kindle edition of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Lesser Wrong's site said that someone maintains it and that it is updated every morning. Does this mean that if there is a new chapter my Kindle will automatically update and I will be able to see the new chapter? Do I still need to go out to the internet and download it again?

Does anyone else out there have a Kindle and if so, do you know if it has this feature? Are there any other cool features you can think of that I should know about?

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it has the capability to auto download things so long as you're wireless is on. If the kindle edition is set up like a subscription to a magazine or newspaper then it should download automatically. I don't know specifically, though.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to download it again.

I downloaded that book as well from that site. I guess you could use the kindle web browser to actually read it on your kindle without worrying about downloading it.

http://www.xkcd.com/548/

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
The correct answer is: get an ipad. Best thing I've ever bought.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, as much as I like tablets, I would much prefer to do my actual reading on an e-ink screen; the difference in eyestrain is immediately noticeable to me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping that Apple's patent filing for a screen that intelligently switches to e-Ink (including by section of the screen, not just the entire screen either or) when greyscale, mostly static content is being shown represents something they're working fervently on. Then there's no dichotomy.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that the PDF/eBook of Method of Rationality is pretty classy. It's set up in the official Harry Potter font and everything. Feels like you're reading an actual book instead of a bunch of text on a webpage. Worth checking out whether or not you've already read it.

quote:
I'm hoping that Apple's patent filing for a screen that intelligently switches to e-Ink (including by section of the screen, not just the entire screen either or) when greyscale, mostly static content is being shown represents something they're working fervently on. Then there's no dichotomy.
That sounds pretty cool.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy an ipad because I have an Iphone. Getting an Ipad for nothing more than a bigger screen isn't worth the extra money to me.

I enjoy the Kindle, and I agree with Tom about the eye strain. I can read the Kindle for hours, but I don't think I could read for hours on an Ipad.

I am really loving this thing. If someone suggests a book I should read I usually forget the name by the time I get myself to a bookstore. Now I can just hop right on and buy it. I'm finally reading Game of Thrones and loving it.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think the Whispersync with the apps, like Iphone, is the greatest thing.

I am listening to Lost Gate in the car through my Audible app. Searching for the last few words I heard in my Kindle app to read during my lunch break, and picking up where I left off on my Kindle in bed.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
One feature I really like is the built in OED dictionary. It has greatly improved my vocabulary. When I read an analog book, if I come across a word I don't know, I make a mental note to look it up later, and then I never do. On the Kindle, just move the cursor to the word, and the definition is displayed.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Kindle very much, but my relative love their Nook. I think they are both cool, but I love having a book in my hands. It's kinda funny....I never mark pages or fold corners, and I never, or at least rarely, check a page number or chapter number when reading. But I can somehow, usually in less than 10 seconds, always find where I left off. I try to break at the end of a chapter, but even when I don't it still works out.

I have NO idea how I do it though. It's just something I have always done.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
One feature I really like is the built in OED dictionary.

:nitpick: Is it really the OED or is it the NOAD ( New Oxford American Dictionary)?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
One feature I really like is the built in OED dictionary.

:nitpick: Is it really the OED or is it the NOAD ( New Oxford American Dictionary)?
You're correct; it's the NOAD.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.