FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another question for Southern Cali residents

Author Topic: Another question for Southern Cali residents
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone want to live in Southern Cali?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could afford it (or if I thought there were teaching jobs outside of the inner city), I would take it over Maryland any day.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Joshua Tree is pretty.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are planning on leaving for Washington state. There are lots of reasons to live here though. #1 is the weather. I live in Port Hueneme, about 65 miles west of LA in Ventura County. #2 it's beautiful here. #3 all our family live here. There are more, but they slip my mind at the moment.

We want to move because of...

1. Lower cost in the housing market.
2. Lower cost of living.
3. Better job market.
4. Better schools.

If we didn't have kids, we would probably stay. It's nice living at the beach.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Port Hueneme is gorgeous. My grandparents used to live there.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
San Diego has the best climate on earth.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I can do anything I want here. Whatever you want to do, we can do some form of it here. We can't ski the slopes of Aspen, but we have skiing. We can't see David Letterman taped, but we can see Jimmy Kimmel. We can't surf the shores of Hawaii, but we've got surfing. We don't have Disneyworld, but we've got Disneyland. We don't have the Wisconson Dells, but we have Raging Waters.

What anyone else would pay a hundreds or maybe thousdands of dollars in airfaire and rental cars and hotel rooms to go do, I can do here as a day trip.

As screwed up as our state is, that's mostly because the state government mostly doesn't get paid attention to because we're too busy doing stuff.

I've been at the gas station headed to the mountains for the snow, while other people at the same gas station were headed to the beach to surf.

And then, when the snow got cold, I can drive out of it.

There's nowhere else I'd rather live while I'm still in the mood to do stuff. When I'm old and ready to relax, and just want to live somewhere pretty and nice, that's what Nor Cal is for. Preferably Big Sur.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Xavier:

I say second best.

The island of Montserrat has the best climate on Earth.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
quote:

I say second best.

I'm from Barbados and, while I liked the climate while I lived there, it would be tough to transition back now that I'm used to the cooler but still sunny SB weather.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf, how did I not know you live so close? We're in Camarillo. This is a ridiculously hectic week for us, but when things settle down we should really have you over for dinner or something.

Dobbie, nobody from So Cal would call it Southern Cali.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:

So true.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by natural_mystic:
quote:
quote:

I say second best.

I'm from Barbados and, while I liked the climate while I lived there, it would be tough to transition back now that I'm used to the cooler but still sunny SB weather.
I lived in San Diego for several years. Maui beats it hands down for weather. Not so much for cost/convenience.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Moose...very nifty cool...my email is in my profile, drop me a note and we will figure something out!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

So true.
I don't know how many times Europeans have dropped "Cali" on me as a way of showing that they know what they're talking about. They get the eyebrow. But when I hear "Frisco" I stop and do some explaining.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, nobody from SoCal would call it "So Cal".

Mostly it's populated by folks who like floods*, mudslides, droughts, firestorms, and especially earthquakes^.
And smog and riots. But the riots ain't really a part of the natural environment, and the smog is only half so. Almost ain't worth the extra effort to have them, really.

* Whydja think they have RoseParade floats? The "sunshine in winter" is CGIed in by Hollywood special effects studios.
^ Most popular radio talk show topic, "Did the earth move for ya, baby?"

[ April 16, 2011, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Week-Dead Possum:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

So true.
I don't know how many times Europeans have dropped "Cali" on me as a way of showing that they know what they're talking about. They get the eyebrow. But when I hear "Frisco" I stop and do some explaining.
I wonder why Frisco as a name is so enduring when people in the Bay Area work so hard to squelch it. It must be because it comes off as such a reasonable nickname that people everywhere but CA keep coming up with it on their own.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a California native, and I'll use Cali on occasion to refer to the whole state - Cal is too entrenched as UC Berkeley.

Frisco is just horrible. I'll stop and correct tourists whenever I hear it.

Is "hella" used at all in SoCal, or is it strictly a Bay Area thing? Do you guys roll your eyes at it as much as we roll our eyes at applying a "the" to highway names?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wolf, how did I not know you live so close? We're in Camarillo. This is a ridiculously hectic week for us, but when things settle down we should really have you over for dinner or something.

Or, even better, meet at Zoey's in Ventura on June 3rd to see me play music. [Wink]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Cal is too entrenched as UC Berkeley.

Nah.
aspectre
Member # 2222

That's Berzerkly. 'Cal' usually refers to a campus of the State university system rather than one in the UC system.

As a descriptive, "hell-A" is often useful, but not as fun as living in la-la-land.

[ April 16, 2011, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
...but not as fun as living in la-la-land.

Is that really a regional thing?! My mom says that all the time, and I never picked up on it coming from her years in LA.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Or, even better, meet at Zoey's in Ventura on June 3rd to see me play music. [Wink]
I'll try and make it...I don't actually have a babysitter any more for meh babies, so I can't promise anything, but I will try.
GarminForerunner
Member # 12555

- posted      Profile for GarminForerunner   Email GarminForerunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Whydja think they have RoseParade floats? The "sunshine in winter" is CGIed in by Hollywood special effects studios.
Blah Blah

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I vastly prefer a place with four real seasons. Crisp cold winters, spring wildflowers that come up right through the melting snow, long summer evenings when it stays light forever, and the brilliant colors of autumn.

Change is good.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

We have seasons. We just drive to the one we want to try for a while, then go back to the regular one to get a good night's sleep.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
We have seasons. We just drive to the one we want to try for a while, then go back to the regular one to get a good night's sleep.

[Big Grin]

I will have to remember that line.

aspectre
Member # 2222

..."but not as fun as living in la-la-land."
"Is that really a regional thing?! My mom says that all the time, and I never picked up on it coming from her years in LA."

I'd be very surprised if your mother didn't pick it up from her stay there.
Possibly originated as a contraction of lullaby(dream)land, or as a reference to sticking ones fingers in ones ears while saying "la la la la..." in an attempt to ignore contradictions to what one wants to believe.
But DorothyParker gave the title to LA (and by extension, to SoCal), and it's pretty much stuck cuz it tickles the Angelenos' sense of whimsy at least as much as it confirmed NewYorkers' smug "We're number 1"

Did a multicolored precinct-demographics map of LA that ended up resembling a psychedelic poster of JimiHenrix (with guitar);
enough so that I was tempted to silkscreen it on a bunch of T-shirts with the label Eclectic LAdyland

[ April 16, 2011, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

docmagik
Member # 1131

1920's map used by Hollywood studio proves my point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambrosiavoyeur/4257870797/

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
quote:
Originally posted by natural_mystic:
quote:
quote:

I say second best.

I lived in San Diego for several years. Maui beats it hands down for weather. Not so much for cost/convenience.
I'm from New England, and you all are stinky stinkers [Smile]
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.