FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Charley's Steakery Blamed Erroneously (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Charley's Steakery Blamed Erroneously
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if you go to most countries in South East Asia you're gonna get sick.
Do the locals get sick too or just foreigners?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
quote:
In Taiwan, and indeed all of China from what I have seen, there's absolutely no shame in one mentioning that one has diarrhea. That should tell you something about the prevalence.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
4 day, 1 week ):

I had stomach flu from white castles new jalapeno cheese burgers, 2 solid weeks of suffering (quite literally everything was coming from EVERYWHERE!) over the throne and my family finally decided to take me to the hospital, I got an I.V. tap with water and after 2 hours I was magically better..
On tap of that due to the severity of the sickness I became lactose intolerant.

----
Stone if you're pretty sure it was food poisoning call a health inspector, though to be honest I don't think it was, maybe the food upset your stomach? You don't have to be allergic to food for it to have a bad reaction..
(If you think you have food poisoning, call Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 extension 4752.)

For instance, hot breakfasts make me sick for hours after eating, however I can eat the same food cold and it does nothing .___.
-------
I'm food safety certified, as it was required to be certified on a military base to handle food, but it's not required in most other places despite the fact it should be, them military bases had EXCELLENT sanitary score .__.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
CT: Interesting.

The article you posted didn't mention the antibiotic aspect of grain fed beef, though. Do you have any feedback on that?

For my part, I'm sure we are breeding resistance there. Are you asking for my opinion or for documentation? I can dig for the latter if you like, but it'll have to be squeezed in during free time.

Life has been ... pressing. [Smile]

Just wondering. Specifically regarding the issue of whether the acidic nature of cows' stomachs while fed corn really necessitates the use of antibiotics. That's the argument that was presented. No, I don't expect you to do research for me, I just wondered if you had heard anything.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do cow medicine (thankfully), but it looks like the scary form of E coli is as likely to reside in the guts of grain-fed cows as in corn-fed -- possibly even more likely, by at least one of the studies.

So if any cows need to be treated with antibiotics for E coli, it's likely the grain-fed ones that need it most.

However, I think the main reason cows are often on antibiotics is not to treat bacteria, but instead at subtherapeutic steady low levels just to promote weight gain. That is, for economic rather than veterinary/medical reasons. I could be wrong. I'll nose about when I get the chance.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:

However, I think the main reason cows are often on antibiotics is not to treat bacteria, but instead at subtherapeutic steady low levels just to promote weight gain. That is, for economic rather than veterinary/medical reasons. I could be wrong. I'll nose about when I get the chance.

Pretty much.

Great way to drive superbugs right back into our face in a single generation, too: nice, low, steady use of antibiotics in livestock, generation after generation, in big pools of potential contamination of more and more resistant forms.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The restaurant is in the food court,

Right there is the problem. I don't know about CA malls but most other places I have been to, food court food is nasty.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Maui babe, it's great to see you again (this is Noemon, btw). Hope your life has been going well!

[ April 20, 2011, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jake. I still lurk and read regularly, but my new job doesn't allow me as much time to post.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Just wanted to update you all...it turns out I have a food allergy (as many of you suggested) to black pepper.

Difficult for me to eat out these days.

I officially apologize to the Charley's Steakery for besmirching their name.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny's is better. If you are in the south, try that place for an affordable BBQ (sweet sauce = win). Smokey Bones is even better, but much more expensive.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow; a black pepper allergy would be difficult to deal with. My wife is allergic to corn and soy, so I'm familiar with the pain that is having to check ingredients before being able to eat anything in a restaurant, and often having to leave the place.

The silver lining is that I would imagine you've lost a ton of weight, mostly eating home cooked food.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I was living in Taiwan at the time. But if you go to most countries in South East Asia you're gonna get sick.

I'm not really sure about that. I was in the Navy, stationed in Guam, and we spent some time in South-East Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong); no one I knew had any problems. And we ate a lot of street food. Maybe it's just Taiwan?

It might have been BECAUSE we ate the street food, actually. I have a theory that it's generally the safest (even though that may seem counter-intuitive). It's the scientific method -- more people eat it. If some yahoo decides that he'll woo the tourists and opens a "fancy" restaurant, they're not as likely to have the traffic nor trained personnel. Therefore, you're much more likely to get sick.

Bottom-line: follow the locals.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
The silver lining is that I would imagine you've lost a ton of weight, mostly eating home cooked food.

Sorry for your wife...naw, my body stays just about the same now for over a decade...guess that I'm as lucky as I am cursed.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"Erroneously" always reminds me of "Singing in the Rain".

Whoops ta doo be doo!

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

[Hah! I re-replied with the same message.

Oy. [Wink] ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Just wanted to update you all...it turns out I have a food allergy (as many of you suggested) to black pepper.

Difficult for me to eat out these days.

I officially apologize to the Charley's Steakery for besmirching their name.

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the difficulty. [Frown]
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks CT! It's not big, with the kiddies and tight budget I don't eat out much anyway.

Anywho, now that I know what to avoid it's not so bad.

Afterall, knowledge is half the battle!

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The other half is violence!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You would not believe how hard I've been trying to restrain myself from making a pepper spray joke here.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I officially give you permission to lift all restraint! [Smile]
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:
In Taiwan, and indeed all of China from what I have seen, there's absolutely no shame in one mentioning that one has diarrhea. That should tell you something about the prevalence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIEHPGj9sI
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.