FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The poor Kids In The Hall

Author Topic: The poor Kids In The Hall
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
KITH came out with a movie last year, Death Comes To Town and I never even heard of it! Darn Netflix has it as unavailable...

David Foley is clearly doing the best, acting in 6 movies in post, guest spots on random shows...Desperate Housewives, Friends with Benefits, Leverage, and voice over work.

Bruce McCulloch isn't doing much of anything.

Kevin McDonald is doing some TV I've never heard of, and some spots on NickJR's Dino Dan as a bossy weird librarian.

Mark McKinney isn't doing much of anything, although I spotted him on Dino Dan as the quirky gym teacher.

Scott Thompson is also doing TV that I've never heard of.

Probably all that unknown TV is Canadian. I'm just really sad, as Kids in the Hall and News Radio are two of my favorite shows and to see these really funny and interesting guys just not really into much makes me sad.

I'll need to get my hands on a copy of "Death Comes to Town", that's for sure. If it's as good as Brain Candy was, then I'll be in for a treat.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a few episodes. There were a few good moments, but overall, I was unimpressed.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce was on atleast one episode of Gilmore Girls... not that I ya know... watch. Anyway, they all do stuff its just not as important as Charlie Sheen self imploding.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Kids in the Hall back when it was fresh, but the episodes I've seen here and there recently haven't been all that spectacular. I'm not sure if it just hasn't aged well, or if I've just changed enough that I don't find it that funny anymore, or if I've just had the bad luck to catch their weaker episodes.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched McKinney in "Slings & Arrows", a sort of mini-series about a Canadian Shakespeare company. 'Twasn't bad.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Probably all that unknown TV is Canadian. I'm just really sad, as Kids in the Hall and News Radio are two of my favorite shows and to see these really funny and interesting guys just not really into much makes me sad.

What makes me sad is when people define actors and comedians, or any artist, as being only as good as "what they've done lately," in the strictly defined terms of things being very much like what they have already done before, or what the person speaking considers relevant to themselves personally. People have families, start businesses, change careers, retire, change career paths and become involved in aspects of the same business wherein they do not maintain a public profile, nor need one. I find it rather distasteful to imply that they "aren't doing much" because they aren't publicly engaged in exactly the same kind of work you know them for. It's not fair to them, and I doubt they welcome pity from their fans in most cases.

For instance, Dave Foley alone has done something like 10 seasons of television comedy work in his career as a show regular and star. For this he has been payed a lot of money, and continues to earn residuals. Do you consider it a failing for him to choose not to subject himself and his loved ones to still more years of television shooting schedules because if he doesn't, his career will fade? 10 years is a long time, and if you worked your ass off for ten years and made that kind of money, I bet you tell yourself you'd take the time off and enjoy it. We hold actors to a pretty weird standard, if you ask me.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I watched McKinney in "Slings & Arrows", a sort of mini-series about a Canadian Shakespeare company. 'Twasn't bad.

I loved the first season of Slings & Arrows. I really need to watch the other two.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Orincoro...it not as human beings that I feel sad about KITH...I sure hope they have great lives filled with leisure and family and whatever they want.

It's as an audience member deprived of their particular brand of creative hilarity that I'm saddened, that and the seeming lack of prestige they have.

Members of Monty Python's Flying Circus get to pick their own projects, and seem to get a lot more respect and opportunities to showcase their talents.

What I found most disheartening was that their latest movie was not widely advertised or made commercially available.

Especially when truly bad movies like Transformers II (the revenge of Khan) get so much exposure.

The talent and creative minds at play in that comedy troop deserve better. Please do not take that as a slam on them.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

I loved the first season of Slings & Arrows. I really need to watch the other two.
It must be said that it does fall into certain predictable patterns with regard to plot arc and theme. But it's still fairly well written and performed, and worth a look.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Foley is not doing well at all.

The child support system is clearly broken, but not knowing the details I wouldn't leap to Foley's defense. Why did the marriage break up? How much *did* he send for his kids? How much did he see them, or try to? I have no idea, so I don't know if he's getting screwed by the system or getting screwed by the system but also a deadbeat.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Awwww...my fave Kid in Hall is a deadbeat dad? Sad...for his children.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.