FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't think I mentioned my rant website here...

Author Topic: Don't think I mentioned my rant website here...
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Which isn't surprising because I haven't started a thread here in about three years.

But I created a website for me and some buddies to rant on. We talk about the things that annoy us. If that's the sort of thing that amuses you and you don't mind R-rated language, you might enjoy reading some of them. Topics vary, as do authors.

The latest one today I wrote about how long it takes women to get ready, and it includes math for how much time they spend in the bathroom over the course of their lives.

www.everyoneisstupidbutme.com

We've also done a few funny videos and podcasts. It will most likely never turn into anything, but it's a fun side project for me.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm almost done with my new album, in music related news. I'll post at hatrack when that bad boy releases. As long as I'm being self-aggrandizing.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to make something like this, it would pretty quickly dissolve into pictures and bursts of obscenity.

Good to hear from you, JT. [Wave]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Women really do have sucky requirements. It takes me 20 minutes in the shower to fulfill all the requirements of my gender (number of shampoos, shaving etc.)

However, I compress other tasks as much as possible. I eat and do my makeup at the same time. I do my hair in the bus station. I chose my clothes in the shower on the night before (I find early morning decision making fraught with indicision).

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Jux, I'd be ok with pictures and burst of obscenities. Also, I'm back in Seattle May 21st. Get it together and come hang!
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh Saturday this time? I should actuallly be able to
Make that.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

DO IT.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is the very reason why I get my hair cut in the way that looks the very best with zero maintenance. Putting on makeup and getting dressed takes me ten minutes, tops, and I'm convinced that I look better than most heavily-made-up chicks.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer a minimum of makeup...my wife doesn't always listen to me, but I think she looks best stepping right out of a shower (her face that is, while I might have other opinions on the matter, they are none of your business).
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to significantly decrease my wife's bathroom time average making it abundently clear that my behavior around her would change not at all if she wore make up.

She still puts it on for ocassions, or sometimes when we go out. If we are home or just visiting family though, she feels comfortable taking that time back. We've never been late or held up because of make up concerns, I'd be very annoyed if we were.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

To be clear, it's not time spent solely on makeup. It's the entire routine, from showering to being ready to walk out the door, that is really long. So not wearing makeup can certainly trim that back, but not if it means she takes twice as long to do her hair. Or takes 25 minute showers. Or can't pick out an outfit without trying on three or four first.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know any women who do this. Maybe if they don't have to get to a job at a certain time.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a world of difference between getting ready for work and going out on the town.

My wife takes a while either way. I just tell her to give me a 5 min warning for when she is ready to leave and do my own thing until then.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I take less time to get ready on a normal day than my husband. When going out fancy, the makeup and jewelry and nice hair add a bit. Plus, if going out with kids, inevitably it is my job to get them ready. My husband doesn't view it as my job, but he views the kids as ready when their hair isn't brushed, wearing the same clothes as the day before, teeth unbrushed, etc.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I think she looks best stepping right out of a shower

Now if you could bottle a way to preserve the freshly showered dewy glow you would be on to something . . . problem is, it doesn't last all day. :-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I don't know any women who do this. Maybe if they don't have to get to a job at a certain time.

I either don't understand what definition of 'know', 'women', or 'this' you're using, or I think you're mistaken.

I'm friends with several dozen women who do this (using my definitions for all three words, of course), and if I broaden the definition of 'friend' to include 'acquaintances' and 'significant others of friends' that number can easily get over a hundred.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Clarification: I am SURE it's possible not to know a single woman who spends a long time getting ready.

I would, however, be SHOCKED if someone as social as you didn't know at least a few women like this.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, from the time it takes me getting out of bed to leaving the house, it takes me an hour to get ready.

This includes, in no particular order:

Showering
Dressing
Hair (drying, combing, putting up)
Makeup (Not a lot, but I do wear it).
Brushing teeth
Breakfast
Any other required actions such as making coffee and gathering bags (even though I pack the night before).

That's just how long it takes me to complete these actions.

In a pinch, I can do it in quarter of an hour, but that's without breakfast and a proper shower.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Clarification: I am SURE it's possible not to know a single woman who spends a long time getting ready.

I would, however, be SHOCKED if someone as social as you didn't know at least a few women like this.

Let me clarify.

I like clothes and I like pretty things, including me, so I have conversations about grooming et alia with girl friends on a fairly regular basis. I also myself used to spend 45 minutes (45 minutes!) just on my HAIR every morning in high school. I can say that in all those conversations, no one has ever talked about how it takes them an hour to get ready every morning still. Unless you include working out or eating breakfast in that time period, an hour seems like a really long time. We laugh at how long we took getting ready in high school because no one does that anymore.

Maybe it's an East Coast thing? It seems like, in general, hair is less fussed over and makeup is lighter here than it was when I lived in the West.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.