FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Epic Fantasy and Norse Mythology

Author Topic: Epic Fantasy and Norse Mythology
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you know of any epic or high fantasy series which use Norse Mythology?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card? [Wink]

edit: I need to think about that one, I feel like I should know at least one.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I also know of American Gods and Dirk Gently, but none is epic fantasy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Play Valkyrie Profile.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
From wikipedia
quote:

J. R. R. Tolkien's writings, especially The Silmarillion, were heavily influenced by the indigenous beliefs of the pre-Christian Northern Europeans. As his related novel The Lord of the Rings became popular, elements of its fantasy world moved steadily into popular perceptions of the fantasy genre. In many fantasy novels today can be found such Norse creatures as elves, dwarves, and frost jötnar. In J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter, the character Fenrir Greyback was derived from Norse mythology, as seen above. Norse mythology has also greatly influenced popular culture, in literature and modern fiction. (See Marvel Comics' The Mighty Thor or Neil Gaiman's The Sandman (Vertigo) also Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods)

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien is the author that immediately came to my mind. His work is very heavily based on Norse Mythology. Especially the ring stuff (right out of the Volsung sage) and most of the "creatures" - trolls, "crafty" dwarves, dragons and their hoards. And the languages as well.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy Kay's Finovar Tapestry series is heavily influenced by both Celtic and Norse mythology, including hanging for a tree and direct encounters with mysterious gods bound by otherworldly rules. More Celtic influenced than Norse, but both are present.

There is a lot of fantasy inspired by Norse mythology, but not a lot of high fantasy other than Tolkien. But almost all fantasy has elements of the Norse mythos, if not their gods.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some examples.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Kay's Last Light of the Sun also has Norse elements.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Thanks for the answers, y'all.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:

I thought about suggesting that one, but it can't really be called either epic or high fantasty, can it?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ring of the Nibelung!

Wagner anyone? You can't get much more Epic than a 9 hour German opera. Its easy to find a written translation.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:

I thought about suggesting that one, but it can't really be called either epic or high fantasty, can it?
True. I could have suggested The Prince of Nothing, since Cnaiur's tribe is clearly based on the Norse, although without a lot of the mythology. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Do any of you know of any epic or high fantasy series which use Norse Mythology?

I don't think it has magic, but Judson Roberts's 'Strongbow Saga' is about Vikings.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been reading the Icelandic Sagas and there is definitely some rich source material there for good Fantasy.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Petaja#Later_life_and_work
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a "saga" once, not a novel but a translation of the text of a long-running feud between two Norse families who kept bringing grievances like murder and other offenses to the annual gatherings at which people could ask for redress. It was more entertaining than most high fantasy for me, and every few chapters the narrators described, in a matter-of-fact fashion, the exploits of some beserker, some monster, some fetch, or some wizard. I'll attempt to find the title and post it.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Njals-Saga-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140447695/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304716444&sr=1-1

That's the link to it in Amazon. "Njall's Saga."

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlmXU1zqfc
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.