FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Last remaining WW I Combat vet dies at age 110....

Author Topic: Last remaining WW I Combat vet dies at age 110....
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible. To see a world without radio, without cinemas, or widespread electric lights, without the theory of General Relativity, and to die in a world where humanity has launched probes out of our solar system, invented the Internet, landed on the moon and explored other planets- where we can wake up one morning in New York, and go to bed in Tokyo. Hardly a generation that was ever born could claim to have been witness to so much change.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible is a good word for just the biographical facts of his life, juxtaposed with the times he lived in. I suspect there's probably a good story on its own merits, just as a story, on him as a person, though-he certainly sounds interesting. Enlisting not far into 14, and at serving in two world wars voluntarily-it sounds like there's a better-than-average-chance at a good story there at least. (Sounds a bit frosty of me, I just can't quite get over how strange it seems to me to imagine living through so much, imagining so much. It makes me think about how adaptable human beings are, and I wonder how much Mr. Choules was conscious of it-or was it something he just accepted, like we generally do of the things we get used to?)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I think what's mind-numbingly incredible is that since this man was born, the world population has quadrupled. I don't think any human lifetime before or any yet to come will top that.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was amazed when I read this article, and am glad other people had some of the same thoughts thinking about his life. Amazing is just the word for it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I know it sounds like a messed up thing to say about it, but I am seriously glad I was not born back then. Just imagine what life must have been like. None of the cool things we have today were around, and life was tougher. Wars were bigger. And no Ender's Game! [Razz]

Seriously though, I look forward to experience the world over the next fifty years or so (I'm only 27), and to see what happens to the world. Of course by the time I get to be that old (if I'm lucky), guys my age will probably look at me and say the same thing. My, how the world does change.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.