FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » That's it, I'm old

Author Topic: That's it, I'm old
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Today is my 40th birthday.

And, today my daughter texted me to tell me that she finished her registration and reserved her dorm room for the fall. I have a kid going to college and I'm in my 40th decade.

Wow. Where did the time go?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
4th decade.

Happy birthday, Belle.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Samprimary's advice for people getting up there in years:

quote:
REMEMBER YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO ACT IMMATURE AND BE THAT GUY or girl WHO GOES "WOO" AT CONCERTS WELL AT LEAST UNTIL YOUR KNEES OR KIDNEYS GO

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
http://xkcd.com/891/
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks for catching the typo Scott. Now, 40th decade would be really impressive. I'd probably brag about that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see Jurassic Park about a week before my older daughter was born. And when I started mentioning the movies and how long ago they came out, my 15-year-old asked if I was reading xkcd. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
http://xkcd.com/891/

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone posted that in this thread.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club! [Wave]
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard 40 is the new 30!

Of course, I'm not looking forward to turning 30 later this year, so I'm not sure if that helps much.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, life is fleeting, time goes fast when you let it, go out and live a little inbetween getting all the necessary things dealt with (this includes yelling woo at concerts)
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to turn 31...I thought 30 would be hard (it was, but that had nothing at all to do with the age, hard times in the SW household)...enjoy the silver in your hair, love the pain in your knees, relish that you can look back on that stupid sh*t you did and say that is the way I was, I say!

Congrats Belle! You are only as old as...[insert something witty here] (sorry, I'm sleepy, it's almost 9pm, past my bed time!)

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Belle. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Belle, in the words of Niel Gaiman

"Too young to die, too old to pogo."

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Happy B-Day!!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
4th decade.

Happy birthday, Belle.

You mean 5th decade.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll be 30 in just three years so don't feel too bad. I secretly hope I'm really immortal, like Highlander.

That would be awesome [Wink]

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, where did your daughter end up accepting?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Aleast you aren't a grandma yet. [Smile] One of my friends is 36 and has a 2 year old granddaughter.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Destineer she is going to Ole Miss. She got one more supplementary scholarship that made it affordable. The only thing we are having to pay out of pocket is her dorm room - and we have charged her with finding potential roomates and setting up alternate living arrangements when the Freshman year is over. The freshmen have to live on campus, but housing is cheaper in the surrounding area, so it should get cheaper for us. We are also hoping she will pick up a part time job. [Smile]

The other university was offering a full ride, but Ole Miss has such a well - respected honors program we thought it was worth it to pay the extra to send her there.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched a Louis CK clip about turning 40. Very apt, I thought. I'll be 40 in a couple of years and am still reconciling myself to that fact.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Belated Birthday, Belle.

Alliteration, anyone?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what's so bad about getting old.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Nor me, I always leave the silver hairs in my beard, and wear them proudly!

Although I would love it if the ones on top of my head held on a little better. [Dont Know]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by manji:

Because when you go to a bar wearing flip flops and a hollister T-shirt, you aren't that cool college kid anymore. Now you're just a creepy old guy with a bad haircut who thinks he still has all the right moves.

Each year you're also getting closer to death, your strength failing little by little, becoming more susceptible to cancer and arthritis and tons of other things, until ultimately you look in the mirror and you see a whithered shadow of someone that hardly looks like you. No matter how much you sleep you're always tired. Your back hurts. You take sixteen pills a day and you don't even know what six of them do. You're cranky, distant, impatient, forgetful, depressed. All your friends are gone, your kids are grown with families of their own. And then you're all alone.

Then you die.

And that's why aging sucks.

[Wink]

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by manji:

No, I'm with you. The only options are getting older or NOT getting older. I definitely prefer getting older to death.

Besides, I like my life. There are a couple of years I would gladly lose - both 1999 and 2003 were REALLY BAD - but that's it. What years would I prefer never happened? What part of my life, and therefor what part of me, do I hate so much I wish it never happened? I have done my best with life and I don't think I've wasted it, and therefore getting older means I've simply done more of what I have always wanted to.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're cranky, distant, impatient, forgetful, depressed.
So what you are saying is, that at a certain age I can blame all these things on being old instead of just being extremely antisocial?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Belle. Next month I'll be the answer to the question of Life, The Universe and Everything. [Razz]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Nor me, I always leave the silver hairs in my beard, and wear them proudly!

Although I would love it if the ones on top of my head held on a little better. [Dont Know]

My dad id 51 now, and always complains about not having gray hair. He's a bank officer in the wealth management division, so it's kind of bad for his job that he looks as young as he does.

He's got sort of a light brown/dirty blond color of hair (that I inherited - and am happy about), so even though he does have a few gray hairs if you look really close, you don't really notice them. Also, his family doesn't tend to have male pattern baldness, so he doesn't have any bald spots or a receding hairline or anything. He really could pass for being at least 10-years younger than he really is.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My life is better at 41 than it was at 21, hands down.

Getting older doesn't mean you have to ACT old. Hell, these days I know 65 year old's who golf 4 days a week, and are more active than I was at 20. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that I dislike about getting older is that some things that my body used to do for itself, like produce thyroid hormones and absorb vitamin B well enough that dietary sources supply what I need of it, it has officially retired from doing. Other than that, my life really is better in almost every way now than it was 20 years ago. I'm pretty happy.

And as kat said, aging certainly beats the alternative.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's easier to understand if you've, for example, ruptured a disc in your lower back and felt your body start to fall to pieces.

But then, one of my resolutions this year is to be younger at the end of the year than I was at the start. I'm obviously not talking about purely chronological age.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for clarifying that. [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.