FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbit Rumors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hobbit Rumors
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Having heard Cumberbatch in a few radio plays and things over the years, he really is a chameleon when it comes to voice acting. So he would be a good choice.

I don't see the point of sequels to LOTR. Evil empire defeated. Order restored. Everyone lives happily ever after until they die. That's how stories are supposed to end.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Actually, Crichton wrote at least one-perhaps two, I don't remember for sure-sequels to Jurassic Park.

He wrote the Lost World. I was referring to Jarassic Park 3 and now the supposed fourth movie Spielburg is trying to make.

I didn't know there was a sequel story about their son. That's kind of cool!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella Bee - I agree completely on both counts. I think he'll be a fantastic Smaug/Necromancer, without the previous associations attached to the other voices people in this thread have suggested. (I love Nimoy, but I've never heard him sound like anything except Leonard Nimoy.)

Plus, I have no trouble believing whatever he lends to either voice part will be scary as heck.

About sequels, When Neil Gaiman ended his Sandman comic more or less at the height of its popularity, he said something along the lines of "Stories that matter, end." I wholeheartedly agree. Whatever fondness I bear for the characters, I would hate to see them fall prey to something like the last season of the X-Files. To every thing there is a season, y'all. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Having heard Cumberbatch in a few radio plays and things over the years, he really is a chameleon when it comes to voice acting. So he would be a good choice.

I don't see the point of sequels to LOTR. Evil empire defeated. Order restored. Everyone lives happily ever after until they die. That's how stories are supposed to end.

Yeah, but even LOTR didn't end like that. The whole point of the Scouring and Frodo leaving for Valinor is that you can't always go home again for the happy ending, that no one was safe from the evil, and that evil's touch was so malevolent that Frodo was too weary for Middle Earth.

Besides, just because Sauron and Morgoth were gone didn't mean there was no evil left in the world. I do agree, though, that I'm perfectly happy to let the end of LOTR be the end of that world's timeline. More background knowledge I wouldn't have minded, but stories about Eldarion I probably could do without.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it is better to just leave a world alone after it concludes. I remember a little over 10 years ago there was a trilogy of books that take place after the events of the Willow movie.

Yeah...At first I was like "Cool!" and afterwards thought to myself, "Why?"

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have the specifics wrong, but after the success of 2001: A Space Odyssey, my undestanding is that they kept trying to get Clarke to write a sequel. "Nope," he said, "that was the end of the story. There's nothing left to write."

But after being offered enough money, he eventually discovered that yes, there was another story to tell. And it wasn't horrible.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Not only that, he went and wrote three sequels.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty nervous about J.K. Rowling's "Pottermore" announcement/website. Nobody knows what it is, except that it's not a book. Details are supposed to be forthcoming within the week, and unless it's an announcement for a BBC TV series, where each series is one book, I don't think I want it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Not only that, he went and wrote three sequels.

Those last two were terrible.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do agree, though, that I'm perfectly happy to let the end of LOTR be the end of that world's timeline.
Of course, Tolkien wrote LOTR to be a prehistory of Eurasia. So the end of LOTR is meant to be the beginning of our world's timeline.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm of two minds about whether the two Hobbit movies will be awesome or kind of overdone and distorted, but I trust Peter Jackson.

My butt will be in the seat for both. Possibly even in a camp chair outside the theater well before showtime.

It might even call for another WenchCon. [Razz]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I do agree, though, that I'm perfectly happy to let the end of LOTR be the end of that world's timeline.
Of course, Tolkien wrote LOTR to be a prehistory of Eurasia. So the end of LOTR is meant to be the beginning of our world's timeline.
We're in what, like the Eighth Age right now? I remember someone wrote to him and asked him specifically what age today is, but I can't remember the answer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I'm pretty nervous about J.K. Rowling's "Pottermore" announcement/website. Nobody knows what it is, except that it's not a book. Details are supposed to be forthcoming within the week, and unless it's an announcement for a BBC TV series, where each series is one book, I don't think I want it.

Be sure to tell us what that is all about when you find out. I'm curious now.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

She's hinted in the past that she wants to return to the series at some point. Other than a book though, I don't really know what I'd want from her.
Olivet
Member # 1104

PJ has confirmed the casting info from earlier this week (Luke Evans as Bard and Cumberbatch as Smaug), as well as announcing that Evangeline Lilly will appear as a named elf:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/06/19/45296-pj-confirms-evans-and-cumberbatch-announces-losts-evangeline-lilly-and-barry-humphries/

I'm not sure how I feel about that. O_O

[ June 19, 2011, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I just listened to a couple things with Benedict Cumberbatch...and I don' really hear it at all.
Olivet
Member # 1104

I had trouble finding examples of his vocal range on YouTube. Perhaps Bella Bee could find better examples?

I have an audiobook of him reading the first Silverwing novel, and his range of voices is impressive in that.

As far as acting goes, he's been cast frequently as the brainy type or as a slightly awkward/sensitive type in what I've seen. Sherlock was a break out for him, but he was memorable as William Pitt in Amazing Grace and as the man who committed the crime James McAvoy was punished for in Atonement. I would guess he's the type to be cast as a villain in a typical Hollywood style movie.

I've heard his portrayals of Dr. Frankenstein and the Monster (he swapped roles with Johnny Lee Miller, depending on the night) at the National Theater were incredible. Here's a link to the trailer for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P77enDJY7k

But, yeah, most of the stuff I could find on YouTube doesn't show his range very well.

[ June 19, 2011, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Evangeline Lilly will appear as a named elf
Even weirder, Dame Edna Everage (or her alter-ego Barry Humphries) is voicing the Goblin King. If he doesn't call anyone 'possum' I shall be so disappointed.

I have no idea where to find free examples of Cumberbatch's voice acting, I heard them on the radio and I don't even remember when. But I do remember that he was good.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, Goodness. That's who Barry Humphries is? *boggles* Not that any actor or actress is capable of doing only what they are best known for, mind.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnyrFJda7i0
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Set pictures!

Also, I really like this concept for the movie poster.

edit: Though I think they should find a way to distinguish Bilbo.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Aw. It's really real! Nice to see Bag End again.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Though I think they should find a way to distinguish Bilbo.
Bilbo is the much shorter one at the end of the line.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Though I think they should find a way to distinguish Bilbo.
Bilbo is the much shorter one at the end of the line.
Yes I noticed that later, but he seems to be just a blob, rather than the protagonist.

I'd like to see him holding a ring between his thumb and pointer finger. I suppose his shorter height is enough, but I think there's a better presentation in there somewhere.

edit: Plus maybe I am falling victim to my own bias rather than letting the book tell me how things were, but I naturally expected to find Bilbo running almost on the skirts of Gandalf's robe, not bringing up the rear.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Set pictures!

Also, I really like this concept for the movie poster.

edit: Though I think they should find a way to distinguish Bilbo.

The dwarves look a lot more badass than I thought they would.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If this is a side series about Luna then this will be the best thing in the history of creativity.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I'm of two minds about whether the two Hobbit movies will be awesome or kind of overdone and distorted, but I trust Peter Jackson.

My butt will be in the seat for both. Possibly even in a camp chair outside the theater well before showtime.

It might even call for another WenchCon. [Razz]

Dang! Where's the "like" button? *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.