FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sun is going to cool down soon

Author Topic: Sun is going to cool down soon
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110614/ts_afp/usspacesun

Apparently everything we thought we knew or understood about the Sun's heating up cycle is totally wrong, which means in 2012 it won't get hotter, but cooler. At least, that's how I'm reading the article. Kinda throws that whole 2012 armaggedon thing under the bus.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
2012 under the bus?

Yeah. I guess that Elenin, Levy and Honda will actually be in 2011.

I wonder if sunspots are baby stars?

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to some great Northern Lights in 2012. If this guy is right, I might never see a spectacular aurora again. Such a pity.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We need some global warming, stat, or we're all gonna freeze!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...doesn't global warming lead to freezing? Oh yea, that's right, we are screwed no matter what! Yay!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
the global anthropogenic influence already goes many times over the anticipated effect of the sunspot cooling.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*wince* That article is an egregious example of what is wrong with mainstream media's "science" reporting.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You said Egregious!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
When the world ended on May 21st,
and we woke up in Hell
except it was identical
(for all intents and purposes)
with life in general
as we'd come to know it
we pretended (as one might expect)
to be surprised to be
alive: "Look, I'm still here!"
"There's my dog! My fingers!")
Such is the humour
of the (as yet) nameless.

Sunspots?
There is no Sun.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
You said Egregious!

Did he use the word incorrectly, in your estimation? Because last I checked, and granted it's been a while, tropes are not bad.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he just scans posts here looking for words or ideas mentioned on tvtropes. I happen to spend a good deal of time there myself (it's a disease), something like half of his posts contain at least one direct quotation of a trope title, and is usually followed by a reworded rehashing of whatever the general consensus on that trope's page is.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
I think he just scans posts here looking for words or ideas mentioned on tvtropes. I happen to spend a good deal of time there myself (it's a disease), something like half of his posts contain at least one direct quotation of a trope title, and is usually followed by a reworded rehashing of whatever the general consensus on that trope's page is.

He fixates on things because he has an Autism Spectrum Disorder. At least his fixation with tvtropes isn't as irritating or controversial as some of his other fixations.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Did he use the word incorrectly, in your estimation?

Excuse me, HE?!? [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
You said Egregious!

So what? The point of that link is people *mis*using the word. Rivka used it properly.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Your gender, your business. It's not my fault we have several posters with feminine sounding names who are men, and I can't remember which is which sometimes.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Fine. So I'll have a hissy fit every time you call me "he", and that should help you remember. [Razz]
deerpark27
Member # 2787

The sun is not as bright as it used to be.
Something's wrong with the light.
Uncanny, the feeling that these shadows are all slightly off kilter, not that I could put my finger on what it is, precisely.
If I shut my eyes it feels different, the sunbeams or rays on my forearm, as if the speed of light isn't so sure of itself anymore.
If I stare through my closed lids right into it, instead of the usual heavy red splotching,I can make out very specific geometric shapes, very black and somewhat disquieting. It's as if they're there, really, in that sun.

This is, perhaps, the limit of my investigative ability.

I'll be glad when this sun sets, if it even does that anymore.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your gender, your business. It's not my fault we have several posters with feminine sounding names who are men, and I can't remember which is which sometimes.
I'm the same way with posters who have names that sound a lot like rivers.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless we start posting demographic data under everyone's screen name, it's likely that many of us will continue to have different genders in someone else's head.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

He's right about that! [Wink]

quote:
I'm the same way with posters who have names that sound a lot like rivers.
Balderdash! Rivers are historically masculine in western cultures.

quote:
Fine. So I'll have a hissy fit every time you call me "he", and that should help you remember.
[Big Grin] Deal.

This is one aspect of Czech that I really like. It's impossible to misconstrue the gender of the speaker, because the declensions are different. It presents a rather huge problem in translation, because you can write without gender in English, and you can't in Czech. There are not usually neuter declensions for animate objects. [Big Grin]

deerpark27
Member # 2787

Just like yesterday, except today it's raining. A faint but constant dull ringing permeates the soundscape. It slips into the background if you let it, like now, except -- there -- it's tuned back in. This ringing is an analog, somehow, of the sun's rays falling on the backs of the clouds. I'd like to draw a causal relationship between the two phenomena, and I'd even go as far as to draw your attention to what seems a direct relationship between the varying intensity of the grey light and the shifting frequency of the ringing, not unlike the acoustic side-effects purported to accompany the Northern Lights, although most of those testimonials are those of solo travellers, taken by surprise at their tiny campfire (should they be so lucky as to locate any combustibles at those latitudes) in the neverending dusk of early August on the Barren Lands.
deerpark27
Member # 2787

Long before, the caribou had turned left at the pipeline, leaving us to fend for ourselves.

The regret I felt at the sight of your cedar strip canoe in flames was merely a tiny ornament hanging on an upper bough of the giant redwood of insanity which had sprung up amongst the deepening clouds of mosquitoes that engulfed first your rationality then my dialectic.

deerpark27
Member # 2787

My once hollow face,
too often full of your meandering spirit,
you pushing from the inside but never able
to make anything of me,
inhabited again.

[ July 29, 2011, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: deerpark27 ]

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sun is going to cool down soon
Good. It was like 117 degrees here a few days ago. A pox on such blistering heat.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think to prevent ambiguity we should all end each of our posts with a gender disclaimer.

-Annie (who is female)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Heck, no.

Intermittent hissy fits are way more fun.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.