FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Corporal punishment instead of jail? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Corporal punishment instead of jail?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone Wolf, certainly, but I recognize the importance of keeping some people away from the general populace so they can't hurt other people. A necessary "bad".

Also, what Rakeesh wrote.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
That has always seemed to me to be a much more pointed argument towards reforming our prisons than instituting something like flogging.

QFT
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hugely in favor of reforming our prisons.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just build a huge wall around Montana (Nobody lives there anyways) and throw all of the prisoners in there.

Problem solved. [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I bet Joe white collar who is in for one year for tax evasion would mind being thrown loose into a walled up Montana.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

What if Montana is home?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this system is awesome and appropriate. Flogging is, I'm sure, neither cruel nor unusual and so the constitution couldn't possibly have any problem with it and the precedent wouldn't be terrible anyway so let's just go nuts.

But not on the women, of course

seriously?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this is a derail, but I never understood the 'unusual' part of 'cruel and unusual'. If something is proscribed infrequently it's [not] OK? Something that was not OK but a judge hands down 10 sentences of it in a row is now acceptable?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

And prison is cruel.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Samp, I am still trying to get my head around people who could justify flogging yet have their heads explode over masturbation.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
As a pun I suppose that's alright. Who are these people, though? None that I've seen around here anyway. And I say that as someone who personally thinks proscriptions against masturbation in and of itself are pretty strange and silly.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I didn't say or mean to imply that there were necessarily any of those people here. There very well might be, but they have not done so to my knowledge.

And you are right. Not bad for an unintentional pun.

Strider
Member # 1807

kmboots, can you define what you mean when you say "evil". That might help clarify aspects of the conversation.

Also, stumbled across this article: In lieu of prison, bring back the lash

It could be this is where Sa'eed got the thread idea.

quote:
Suggest adding the whipping post to America’s system of criminal justice and most people recoil in horror. But offer a choice between five years in prison or 10 lashes and almost everybody picks the lash. What does that say about prison?

America has a prison problem. Never in the history of the world has a country locked up so many of its people. We have more prisons than China, and it has a billion more people than we do. Forty years ago America had 338,000 people behind bars. Today 2.3 million are incarcerated. We have more prisoners than soldiers. Something has gone terribly wrong.

He basically makes the case that while we might not like it, it's better than the current system.

I think that's a valuable debate to have, but it still to a large degree sets up a false dichotomy. There are other options out there, options that have been advocated by prison reform activists. Flogging is not our only alternative to a messed up prison system.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
no let's just bring flogging into the picture. But remember, it's JUST for men. Women aren't allowed that punitive option even if it's being introduced as a remedy, because Clive Candy, ergo
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Samp has a very low tolerance for fools...however he manages on a day to day basis is a wonder to me.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I think it's more accurate to say I have a very high tolerance for fools and they fill me with mirth via their endless entertainment value
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It seems like there is a large amount of anger involved as well. I guess getting POed is pretty entertaining though.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I know it's really common for people to claim 'oh man I am totally never angry, in fact I am a bastion of monklike jedi zen' when people call them out for flipping out or raging, but this forum hasn't ever really incited anger in me. Not even with Sa'eed, he's just a Known Quantity and the jury's out on him.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkeylike Jedi? Cool!

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Force Throw (feces)
Tuukka
Member # 12124

- posted      Profile for Tuukka           Edit/Delete Post 
I think penal labor could possibly be a good system, if properly regulated. Of course the problem is always that you don't want it to compete with private business.
Posts: 273 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.