FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Republican Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center 2012 (Page 53)

This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53   
Author Topic: Republican Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center 2012
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus. Sounds like the Natty Review has fired the guy, at least.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Lord God on high. I just read his article. I would post the worst parts, but I'd just end up posting the whole thing. He fulfills every archetype of contemporary white racism.

I should give at least one example:

quote:
(13) In that pool of forty million, there are nonetheless many intelligent and well-socialized blacks. (I’ll use IWSB as an ad hoc abbreviation.) You should consciously seek opportunities to make friends with IWSBs. In addition to the ordinary pleasures of friendship, you will gain an amulet against potentially career-destroying accusations of prejudice.
"You should make black friends so that you can say, 'But I have all these black friends!'" Oh Lord Jesus. How is this guy even real?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Progress! 'Many' IWSBs, whereas before they were universally sub-human thanks to being apes or descendants of Cain or something. I suppose the next step will be something like 'befriend IWSBs because they, at least, are actually worthwhile human beings among Bs'.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
"You should make black friends so that you can say, 'But I have all these black friends!'" Oh Lord Jesus. How is this guy even real?

He is real and a classic steve sailer styled example of:

quote:
the small contingent of the modern American new-old-right, AKA, "Paleoconservatives", as they like to call themselves. They're the people who William F. Buckley Jr. spent 50 years trying to kick out of mainstream American right wing politics. They all seem to share an overwhelming preoccupation with a so-called "white christian identity," and often repackage and rehash the classic antisemitic conspiracies, which they attempt (badly) to bury under a veil of non-interventionist foreign policy. They are closer in ideology to the European far-right nationalist parties, eg, the BNP, Vlaams Belang, The French National Front, than your typical off the shelf Republican. Pat Buchanan is probably their best known ideologue.
also he literally looks like this.

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef016764ce938e970b-300wi

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

There are several scenes in Blues Brothers he would not look peculiar in!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Santorum withdraws

With this, Romney is more or less officially the candidate, barring some dramatic happenstance at the convention.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news. It's time to get down to the business of presidential candidacy. I wonder how many Romney/Obama debates we're going to get.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Santorum withdraws

With this, Romney is more or less officially the candidate, barring some dramatic happenstance at the convention.

Ron Paul is totally gonna sneak up on romney
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Santorum withdraws

Ron Paul is totally gonna sneak up on romney
And I'm sure you will be lurking on Intrade if he does. [Wink]

edit: Though I imagine that won't affect the trade values that much. There can't be that many people who think he has a chance..

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Ron Paul has always boasted the highest quantity, by far, of delirious inability to comprehend his true chances as a candidate among his followers. It's weird, but always profitable.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see Romney start trending to the center now.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Heh, at this point wouldn't it need to be a trend like a landslide is a mountain trending sideways on a downward slope?
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
George W. Bush discussed his newish book the other day and said that we should focus on growing the economy not so much fiscal austerity. It's a good thing he's not the Republican nominee these days.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Hmmm. I suppose if there was something that would lend further help to the Democratic ticket besides this long drawn out primary which leaves Romney only eight months to walk back his primary campaign to the center, it would be Dubya being in political discussion as well, heh. Not that this is him making a big splash or anything, of course.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Eric Cantor decides doing nothing and being in the do nothing Congress amount to the same thing.

I'm sure he'll waste no time monetizing his freedom to lobby for the private sector.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I liked this comment.

"We always knew he was a loser. Now we know he's also a quitter."

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, do I already have to start up primary threads for 2016?

I wasn't even planning to start my midterms coverage til October.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
BB--congress works on a seniority system. Those who are there the longest get the best jobs. That makes sense if you are working with a congressman who's been there for 12 years vs one who just arrived. What Cantor is doing is allowing his replacement to have 3 months seniority on all those elected this year. He is hoping it will be his Republican counterpart, but if not the Governor can appoint someone else, so there is no advantage gained by a Democrat elected.

He's not being lazy or quitting, he's playing the game as he's been taught.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Darth_Mauve: So if there are strategic reasons for doing so it's OK to resign early? I mean I get this isn't the first time anybody has done this. But the man's seat is still going to sit vacant until special elections in November. Is it wrong to expect electors to work hard until the end of their term, especially when they have in no uncertain terms lowered the bar for not doing what they are paid and elected to do for years now?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Darth_Mauve: So if there are strategic reasons for doing so it's OK to resign early? I mean I get this isn't the first time anybody has done this. But the man's seat is still going to sit vacant until special elections in November. Is it wrong to expect electors to work hard until the end of their term, especially when they have in no uncertain terms lowered the bar for not doing what they are paid and elected to do for years now?

From the link you posted:

quote:
The decision will leave Virginia’s 7th Congressional District without a representative for two-and-a-half months, but most of that time the House will be adjourned to allow lawmakers to campaign before November.
Do you really think his early resignation makes any difference?

If a Democrat did this and Republicans made the same fuss that you're making, would you agree with the Republicans?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef016764ce938e970b-300wi
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
quote:

quote:
The decision will leave Virginia’s 7th Congressional District without a representative for two-and-a-half months, but most of that time the House will be adjourned to allow lawmakers to campaign before November.

If a Democrat did this and Republicans made the same fuss that you're making, would you agree with the Republicans?

Feel free to point out the next time a Democrat resigns early for these reasons. Frankly I don't think Congress should get to adjourn. They've wasted the American people's time for an obscene amount of time, and I wish we could can the lot of them.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
quote:

quote:

Feel free to point out the next time a Democrat resigns early for these reasons. Frankly I don't think Congress should get to adjourn. They've wasted the American people's time for an obscene amount of time, and I wish we could can the lot of them.
I don't think they should get to adjourn either, but there are numerous Democrats (and some Rrepublicans) that are scared about their re-election chances.

If this wasn't an election year, they probably wouldn't adjourn. The House could probably care less, but the Senate? It plays into the Democrats favor to adjourn. They get two advantages for doing it; First, they get to blame Republicans for doing nothing, though even if Republicans wanted they couldn't since Congress was adjourned (they wouldn't anyways), and second, they get to campaign.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The seats up for this midterm are pretty much the solidly most vulnerable for democrats ( i THINK. ) I know that 2017-2018 is going to be a veritable republocaust because demographics are looking grim for conservatives in the districts represented in that election, but the republicans would have to be in a super terrible position to NOT make gains in the upcoming election.
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.