FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Down With The British!

Author Topic: Down With The British!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Fourth of July everybody! [Smile]

In honor of this magnificent day, I'm going to refuse to pay the stamp tax.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to go the grocery store and just walk out with a handful of tea.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to throw some tea in some water. Then add lemon and drink it. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my best friends are Brits.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to sleep all day (done and done) and then wake up and serve my country (currently deployed overseas). And I'm going to miss all the fireworks. [Frown]
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It's already the 5th here.

I had the day off, and spent it sleeping and reading. I was also (jokingly) offered the chance to make love to another man, with the excuse "it's not gay if you do it because you love America."

I do love America.

happymann: may I ask where you're deployed?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Today is a day that is as important to my family as Christmas or ThanksgivIng. We would go ALL out.

We're in different states this year and this is probably the first Independence Day I've had off in awhile, so I am celebrating alone. But I've decided to try my hand at cooking (even though I'm often bested by simple scrambled eggs) and right now I have a pork butt simmering in my slow cooker and I'm boiling potatoes for potato salad. Later there will be cheesecake swirled brownies.

And, as is tradition, this meal will be enjoyed while singing along with Mr Feeny in 1776.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday America! You look good for a 235 year old.

Also a shout out to all the current/retired military men and women. Thank you!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I would be even a fraction as cool and influential as George Washington if I had wooden teeth... does anyone know any nefarious/misguidedly patriotic dentists?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I'm going to throw some tea in some water. Then add lemon and drink it. [Smile]

I did this too. And poured it over ice.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to make Chinese tea in French-speaking Canada. What does that count as?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I'm going to make Chinese tea in French-speaking Canada. What does that count as?

heresy.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
... right now I have a pork butt simmering in my slow cooker and I'm boiling potatoes...

Pork butts and taters! Bring out the catapult! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
drank, caroused, watched excellent fireworks at folsom field, saluted flag, ate pulled pork, helped a cop get an overly drunk reveler out of a tree, did not save the british children, NORTH AMERICA BEST AMERICA
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some of the fireworks you just saw Samp:

One
Two
Three

I just find it odd we're in the same city, I don't really know why.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely Photos Hobbes.

I haven't been in the US on the 4th of July in 10 years. I miss the fireworks.

BTW Hobbes, Do you still follow bike racing? My friend from Bozeman MT, Tejay Van Garderen is riding the tour this year so we'll be going to the Alpe d'Huez and the final TT in Grenoble.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Thanks Rabbit. [Smile] I never thought about how hard it would be to take firework shots until I set out to do it!

Yes I do, not as much as I used to but I still do. It helps that the team from my town (our town, I suppose, Samp) is doing so well this year! Well so far, three days in. That's awesome that you'll be there, and to see a friend! Of course you picked the classic stage to go see.

What team is he with? The name vaguely rings a bell but I may be making that up and I certainly class place it with a team.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Tejay rides with HTC Highroad. He's only 22 and doing very well. His family currently lives in Fort Collins, so you can call him a local if it makes you happy.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

So what your'e saying is that you're down with The British.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Its genius, siddle up next to the enemy and pretend to be friendly. Maybe drop a "rubbish" or refer to a woman of ill-repute as slag. And before they know it you have sovereignty over thier country and are over-charging them for products made from resources they harvested at inadequate wages.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:

So what your'e saying is that you're down with The British.
A stinking loyalist. Get out the tar and feathers [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we give them back the original 13, and start over.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:

I just find it odd we're in the same city, I don't really know why.

It's because you're vaguely aware I'm stalking you
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Run, Hobbes, run!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Eek!]

I suppose this should give my job/internship hunt that much more impetus...

Hobbes [Smile]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

You don't have much time

the effigies are nearly complete

Hobbes
Member # 433

This is turning into some 'B' horror flick, made complete by the fact that I'm sitting next to my backdoor which is wide-open. Though I'm not clear if your threatening supernatural danger or the more tangible, physical type. Either way I'm probably in trouble; no pepper spray and all.

Hobbes [Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Do you hear any spooky music playing in the background? Is it getting louder?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Mostly I've been listening to Wagner. So that's spooky for some people I suppose, though it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Samp would play before an attack. However, I do feel a sudden urge to start walking slowly to the kitchen while saying: "Hello. Anybody there?"

Hobbes [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Actually, before an attack there is often complete silence. Do you hear *any* background music Hobbes?! [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either way I'm probably in trouble; no pepper spray and all.

Quick, grab a spray bottle and some Tabasco! [Razz]
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mostly I've been listening to Wagner. So that's spooky for some people I suppose, though it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Samp would play before an attack. However, I do feel a sudden urge to start walking slowly to the kitchen while saying: "Hello. Anybody there?"

Hobbes [Smile]

Whatever you do, DON'T go in the basement!!
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

http://www.theonion.com/video/ominous-music-heard-throughout-us-sends-nation-int,14362/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.