FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google+

Author Topic: Google+
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I Ctrl-effed three pages of forum topics and didn't find anyone talking about it.

Not sure how long it's been in it's field test, but I took the tour and it looks pretty cool.

Did anyone get the invitation before they closed the door?

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's at least competently designed enough to give google a market share.

I hope it really does hang around and maintain enough of a presence to compel facebook to not be so much of a callous git with people's privacy settings, since (if it hangs on) it gives people something for them to atrophy their market share from due to grumblings and discontent.

I'm also trying Diaspora which I can conservatively describe as facebook for hipsters. It's pretty obscure. You probably haven't heard of it.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Skynet.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to join google+ because I don't want google to know that much personal information about me.

I've been on facebook for years. I got a smugmug account for photos. I have a gmail and a work email account. I like 'em separate.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
samp, but as soon as everyone hears about Diaspora, all the hipsters will have to leave!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how privacy settings can basically merge and handle Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook all in one product.

I'll be a happy camper if as a result I can get rid of one in the near future at least.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a Google+ invite from someone I follow on Facebook who was offering invitations to anyone. I have a feeling I will try it out and then forget about it unless it really wows me (hasn't yet).
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I haven't really been using Facebook much lately, but can see myself using this. I'm still playing around with it, though.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: Google+ has the default setting on PUBLIC.
Any privacy will have to be created by you every time you post.
Then ya hafta trust that Google+ will follow your instruction every time.

"I don't want to join google+ because I don't want google to know that much personal information about me.
I've been on facebook for years.
"

There is nothing that Google could find out about you that Facebook hasn't already sold to dataminers. There is nothing that Google could find out about you that hackers haven't already had access to through Facebook.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

It looks like I have invitations available.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been whinging about the lack of separate groups for different contacts for a while. For me this is the key advantage of Google+ over Facebook.

I foresee a short-term future of having both accounts until I can conveniently sever all ties with Facebook.

As for too much info held by Google, I think it's inevitable. I already use Gmail so they have all my personal comms. I have only minor qualms about their social networking site. At the end of the day, you don't *have* to post everything...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been whinging about the lack of separate groups for different contacts for a while. For me this is the key advantage of Google+ over Facebook.

I foresee a short-term future of having both accounts until I can conveniently sever all ties with Facebook.

As for too much info held by Google, I think it's inevitable. I already use Gmail so they have all my personal comms. I have only minor qualms about their social networking site. At the end of the day, you don't *have* to post everything...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

Except when you post twice [Wall Bash]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

You know you can do this on facebook, right?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't truly turn them into separate groups. What segregation abilities exist are poorly implemented, greatly incomplete, and hard to use. There's no really effective way to cordon off groups of friended people from submissions to your wall, certain tags, etc.

It's why plenty of people my age either have multiple facebooks: the one with their real name on it for their needlingly obtrusive Aunt Mabel Pentecosts and the conservative farts swapping links to today's NO-BAMA chain mail. And then their real facebook. So they don't have to worry when someone uploads and tags all the pictures from the parties they went to [Smile]

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's always hell. I hope google takes over this field.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
It looks like I have invitations available.

CaySedai, are you willing to give out invites? I've signed up for an invite on google+, but haven't gotten anything from them yet. I made my e-mail visible on my profile, if you are willing to send an invite.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Sent you one, Steve.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. Yes, I will send invites to anyone as long as I have them. My email is my username at gmail.

Steve_G
Member # 10101

Thanks Cay, I didn't get anything in my inbox, so they've probably turned off new users for a while. I'll post an update if I can get in.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Ah, I think I messed it up the first time. Tried again.
Steve_G
Member # 10101

I got my invite this morning. Thanks so much.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take a invite too, if someone happens to have an extra.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent to the email in your profile, Dan.

(Invites appear to be unlimited.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So how many people are using this now, and does anyone wanna circle up? (I should be pretty easy to find. My profile pic is an eyeball)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pablo Pavlovich
Member # 12617

- posted      Profile for Pablo Pavlovich   Email Pablo Pavlovich         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the format, it seems cleaner than Facebook, and I like the circles. And I'm certainly hoping it takes off, because my wife's Facebook account was disabled a few months ago, no one knows why, and Facebook's customer service in this area is beyond awful, so, frankly, she's missing out on all the good family and friend news.

Obviously, a social network app is only any good once your whole social network is using it. And unfortunately, I think too many people will say "wait a second, I had to create and manage a Facebook, and then a Twitter, and now you want me to create and manage a Google+ as well? I have a job and a life, you know." and not do it. I hope I'm wrong.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo Pavlovich:
Obviously, a social network app is only any good once your whole social network is using it. And unfortunately, I think too many people will say "wait a second, I had to create and manage a Facebook, and then a Twitter, and now you want me to create and manage a Google+ as well? I have a job and a life, you know." and not do it. I hope I'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MtttXI2q8&feature=player_embedded
rivka
Member # 4859

Rather early to say if that's true, but funny video in any case.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Great video, Samp. I hope it's true.

Google+ finally seems at least a reasonable fit for me for social networking. First one I'm ever trying out. (Never had a myspace, facebook, twitter, linkedin, or whatever else is out there.)

*holds breath, and takes plunge*...

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
*twitch* I... I just finally got into Facebook for real, in social reasons. It's finally become important in my whole social thing, as a convenient method to contact a large number of people I know.

And now they have something that might arguably be better?! It's Myspace all freaking over again!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
So far my experience is that everyone is signing up for Google+ but almost no one is actively using it. Even within the circle (heh) of friends that are on both, Facebook is still where they post everything. G+ is where they say "Hey, look at me! I'm on G+" or ironic stuff like "How do I poke someone with this thing?" or "Where's Farmville?"
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You need better circles -- or just to follow more interesting people.

Will Shetterly, Diane Duane, and Bill Gross are all quite interesting to follow. And Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day can fill up anyone's Stream all by themselves. [Wink]

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't actually care much for Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day - most of their stuff reads like, well, stuff my friends would have posted that I barely cared about anyway, except their my friends, except Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton are not my friends, so I don't care at all.

But I agree with the general sentiment - the point of Google+ is you can follow whoever you want, AND you're not limited to a silly 160 character count, and it has all the social network benefits that Facebook has.

It's also a lot easier to find new interesting people on your friend's streams and start talking to them and then friend them because they're interesting rather than because you know them.

I read Ferrett Steinmetz and Randal Munroe, although Munroe doesn't post that often.

[ August 07, 2011, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm interested in about 35% of WilW's G+ posts and 20% of Felicia's -- but I just mute the ones I don't care about.
Pablo Pavlovich
Member # 12617

- posted      Profile for Pablo Pavlovich   Email Pablo Pavlovich         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice video. Hope it comes true (or at least true-ish).
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.