FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sen. Lori Klein, and her pink gun (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sen. Lori Klein, and her pink gun
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Fun fact: Cashews are not nuts or legumes...they are seeds.[/quotes]

Nuts and legumes are also seeds.

[quote]The reason you probably haven't heard much about the cashew apple or seen them in the produce section of your grocery store is that the fruit spoils so quickly. It can only be eaten fresh from the tree because it starts to ferment after only 24 hours and is too perishable to export to the United States.

They don't mention that Cashew fruits would be unlikely to capture much of a market even if they didn't ferment because they're rather bad. They are very astringent. I keep thinking I just had a bad one and should give it another try, but no, it turns out their all like that. Yuck.
Point of fact, they are canned and exported in cans.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reason does not stop working when an authoritative organization happens to disagree. I'm not wrong.
You didn't draw that Venn diagram, did you?

The NRA defines gun safety standards. If you teach rules that oppose NRA standards, then you're wrong by definition.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I already furnished two examples.

The NRA is not the only authority on the matter, and even if they were, that doesn't mean they are infallible and anyone who teaches anything except their exact doctrine is wrong.

I never pegged you as such a conformist or lazy thinker GA.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Two examples of people who were shot by a gun that wasn't pointing at them? I must have missed that.

Curious, just what authority claims that trigger safety is rule number one?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Two examples of when covering people is necessary. Need more, how about ricochets and bullets going through walls/floors/ceilings?

I never claimed there was an authority saying what I'm saying...there might well be...-I- am saying that trigger discipline is more important, -and- that there are other authorities on the subject.

Saying that anyone who doesn't fully agree with an authoritative group is automatically wrong is lazy thinking.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

And for the record, the Marine Corp puts trigger finger discipline higher then sweep discipline.

quote:
The four rifle range safety rules are:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.

Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot.

Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

Source.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an unranked list, but whatever. I'll just go ask an outspoken marine about it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The priorities might be a little different in a military situation anyway. For everyone else, I'll go with the NRA.

I do agree with the first rule though. I got my name due the the actions of a Marine that ignored it.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I have a question for you GA: -If- my partition to the NRA is successful will you still say "Go with the NRA"? Or will you stick to your guns (no pun intended) and say, I don't care what anyone says, sweep discipline is the most important and here is why...

Or to put it more succinctly, do you think sweep discipline is the most important rule out of self conviction or because you trust the authority, and would agree to whatever they said?

Also I have no idea how you got your name...I googled it, but it didn't tell me anything.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
yonder response from outspoken marine

quote:
I would have lit her the **** up and given her a taste of gun safety training ala Marine NCO.

Seriously, and Gornul can back me up on this, flagging people with loading weapons is like the one area in the modern military where hazing, physical abuse, etc, all goes out the window. No one is going to say a word if you bust someone in the head for pointing a loaded weapon at you, regardless of safety, trigger, etc. Hell, that even applies to loaded weapons

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Let me back up at say that I had (ironically) forgotten that "always treat a gun as loaded" is the real RULE NUMBER ONE.

That was the rule that should be intrinsic to my identity, because it's the rule that was broken. My cousin Glenn Crosnoe died before I was born, and I was named after him. He was shot by a friend of his, who had just gotten out of Marine boot camp. The exact details of the shooting have been different depending on who is telling the story, but the one thing that is consistent is that the Marine believed the gun was not loaded.

Many times as a child I asked my father if a gun was loaded. Sometimes he responded "my guns are always loaded" but others he simply responded "yes." At least twice I've continued by cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger, only to hear a click as the firing pin falls on an empty chamber. His guns were never loaded until he was preparing to use them, but gun safety was like a religion. It's why I'm adamant about it as well.

In answer to your question about whether my opinion will change if the NRA changes theirs, then no, it will not. But neither will the NRA change their position. As I've demonstrated logically, "sweep discipline" is more important than trigger discipline, because if a gun isn't pointed as anyone, an accidental discharge won't hit anyone. Not that either rule should be ignored.

You say you've given examples of where covering people is necessary, and I would respond that those cases are extremely rare in a non-military situation, especially in comparison to the number of cases where a gun is being casually handled in a nonthreatening social situation. Even police usually extend their guns with the muzzle pointed down. You don't need to aim a gun at a person in order to intimidate, or threaten.

I have given one example where an accidental discharge did not involve the trigger. In addition, a trigger could get caught on an article of clothing, or a tree branch. I've also seen situations where a primer sizzled for a half second or so before the bullet went off. In that situation, keeping your finger off the trigger will not help, but remembering to maintain the direction of aim is essential.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Samp: Is your outspoken marine buddy referring to me as a she? And I think you have one too many "loaded" and one too few "unloaded". A bit confusing.

GA: Sorry about your namesake. I respect your reasons for thinking the way you do, thanks for putting in the time for that answer.

Perhaps I will always be in the minority when it comes to which of the safe firearm handing rules is paramount. Since I teach that all of them should be followed at all times, it's hardly the most controversial view I hold (or even advocate here on the 'rack).

The bigger concern is the wording change from "ready to fire" to "decide to fire"...I was reading an article online (I'll find it and link to it later today) about how police training needs to be changed in this as "ready to fire" is being misunderstood to mean "anytime you want to be ready to fire" and not "when you are about to deliberately pull the trigger"...which is apparently causing negligent deaths.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Samp: Is your outspoken marine buddy referring to me as a she?

He is referring to Sen. Lori Klein as a she.

Anyway, if the message is unclear, then here's the unambiguous translation.

Sweep discipline >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trigger discipline

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I got that part. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.