FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do non-Americans categorize race? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do non-Americans categorize race?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I would argue that if there's a longer way to say it, then the shorter way to say it is an abbreviated version, regardless of how common the usage is.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not what abbreviation means. An abbreviation is a *specifically shortened* form intended to stand in for the other, not just a word with a pretty much completely independent existence that happens to be the same as the starting letters of another pair of words that can be used in roughly the same situations. Intent is extremely important.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
abbreviate [əˈbriːvɪˌeɪt]
vb (tr)
1. to shorten (a word or phrase) by contraction or omission of some letters or words
2. to shorten (a speech or piece of writing) by omitting sections, paraphrasing, etc.
3. to cut short
[from the past participle of Late Latin abbreviāre, from Latin brevis brief]
abbreviator n

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Exactly! "To shorten" is an action taken with intent. If you're not shortening anything, but just using a form that happens to be a prefix, you're not abbreviating.

For instance, I'm not "shortening" masterpiece when I say master, despite the latter being a prefix of the former.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, gender as a noun is different from gender as a verb. What you've said is correct, that one of the meanings of the word is more broad than the idea of sex, but it's not "due to language education" and it's not related to the verb gender.

Gender used to, and still does, mean a kind or class. It's related to the French word genre, which we also use in the sense of "sort" or "class."

The usage of gender to mean male or female dates from the 15th century, almost as old as the original word in English. So though it did arise later, it wasn't a recent invention due to prudishness, although that usage did become much more common in the 20th century to distinguish it from the word sex.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Fugu: Where "exactly" does the definition I gave say anything about intent? What you are claiming, essentially, is that LOL is no longer an abbreviation, because there are people who now use it without understanding what it's an abbreviation of. Ignorance doesn't make it any less an abbreviation.

Annie, I didn't give a timeline, but essentially we're in agreement. The original use for gender as "male" or "female" was as a class of words, to describe male and female words in romance languages. As to whether it's a "recent invention," that depends on what you call recent, but it doesn't appear to date prior to the 20th century to refer to a person's sex.

From the Online Etymological dictionary:
quote:
As sex took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be the common word used for "sex of a human being," often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963.

fugu13
Member # 2859

quote:
Fugu: Where "exactly" does the definition I gave say anything about intent? What you are claiming, essentially, is that LOL is no longer an abbreviation, because there are people who now use it without understanding what it's an abbreviation of. Ignorance doesn't make it any less an abbreviation.

To answer your first question, here's where it says something about intent:

quote:
to shorten
You can't do that without intent. It isn't possible.

As for LOL, if at some point it stops being used as an abbreviation, then I will be claiming that. Right now pretty most people are using it as an intentional abbreviation, I feel, even if they'd be unlikely to type the full version.

But how about another example: "okay". Okay is a word, and an entirely standalone word with its own meaning. It was virtually certainly an abbreviation at some point, but there's nobody alive now who knows for sure what of. I wouldn't call it an abbreviation at all today, because that requires several billion people (it's a loan word in pretty much every large country; that silly pair of syllables turned out to be a remarkably compelling linguistic tidbit) to be abbreviating (shortening) something most of them don't even know ever had a long form, and not a single person of whom knows what the long form it may once have had ever was. And that's just a little absurd for me. At some point, words stop being abbreviations.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
You can't do that without intent. It isn't possible.
Bull.

But this is an amazingly trivial thing to derail a thread over. So I'm done. Have fun.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.