FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cookery question

Author Topic: Cookery question
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm making pancakes. The recipe calls for flour, milk, and egg yolks to be mixed into batter, then left to stand for half an hour. Since there's no yeast, what's the purpose of letting it stand?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast isn't the only thing that makes things rise. In pancakes, the rising agent is usually baking soda (either alone or as a part of baking powder).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma in law said sitting was the only way tp make yorkshire pudding smooth. She'd whip it every 30 minutes or so all sunday afternoon. It probably did have yeast by then.

Eggs are a sort of rising agent in that they hold bubbles that expand in cooking.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Eggs aren't a rising agent. They're an emulsifier, though.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Every pancake recipe I've used has baking powder in it. Hard to imagine pancakes working without it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was assuming it was omitted from the post, not the recipe. [Wink]
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about pancakes, but for crepes if you don't let the batter stand, then it won't hold together nearly as well. I make crepes fairly regularly and didn't have time to let it stand last weekend--they fell apart.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The recipe does not mention baking powder. The pancakes were fine.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Interesting!
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The crepes I learned to make in Germany were just flour, egg, and milk, and they did not require any standing to turn out delicious. Probably a consistency thing - I couldn't tell you the exact amounts of anything, you just learn by eyeballing it.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Crepes are different. They're not supposed to rise.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think baking powder leavening would be able to work as well if it is let to stand. The rise comes in the chemical reaction of the acid and alkali elements, and standing would just allow those air bubbles to dissipate*. Alton Brown always advocated adding the liquid to the dry ingredients of baking powder goods (pancakes, biscuits, etc) immediately before baking/cooking, and no sooner.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikemarx
Member # 11620

- posted      Profile for Mikemarx   Email Mikemarx         Edit/Delete Post 
It allows the flour to soak up some of the water, as opposed to having the individual flour granules being dry and just surrounded by water.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.