FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For some reason, Sarah Palin's documentary didn't do so hot yesterday:

Author Topic: For some reason, Sarah Palin's documentary didn't do so hot yesterday:
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/07/sarah-palin-movie-debuts-to-empty-theater-in-orange-county/241983/

Only the reporter watched the whole thing.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The A/V review talked about how it wasn't really so much that the movie was bad, per se (even though it is by all standards a very, very bad infomercial for palin), as much as how the movie was just ... surreal. A high-pitched string of gushingly unrestrained, propaganda-style praise against a backdrop of hastily edited archival footage. Things like lions eating a zebra to represent the merciless attacks of the press, and so forth. By some handpicked right-wing wannabe master propagandist studying how nazis and soviets (Riefenstahl in particular) used to 'communicate their ideas.'

And, of course, it can't just be a bad movie. No, it's got to be political. I think they capture the pocket-sized zeitgeist of the event here.

quote:
This weekend will see the debut of a long-awaited film about a valiant fight between good and evil, set in a fantastical world populated by ghoulish monsters who want to drag the world into terrible darkness, with the only hope for salvation a brave young rebel who casts spells of magical gibberish. But as exciting as that sounds, surprisingly not that many people are behind Sarah Palin’s The Undefeated, at least from a critical standpoint: The documentary chronicling Palin’s victory over her many enemies, a victory achieved through maverick means such as losing and then quitting, currently boasts a rare 0-percent “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes — though to be fair, that’s based only on the eight critics who have bothered to see it so far.

Eight liberal elitist critics, probably, though most of them took pains to point out that they set politics aside and entered with an open mind: “I swear I gave The Undefeated a chance, because who wants to writhe in agony for two hours?” wrote David Edelstein at Vulture, more or less summing up the general preemptive protest of his fellow reviewers. Unfortunately, he reached much the same conclusion as our own Alison Willmore and the other critics about the film being little more than a glorified infomercial, and a not particularly effective one at that.

But as Edelstein also points out, there’s something strange about The Undefeated screening for New York and L.A. critics in the first place, considering it’s only scheduled to play in “heartland” cities like Houston, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and so on—and he believes it’s a strategy of counting on negative publicity from “coastal elites” to once more “be red meat for Palin loyalists, paid and unpaid, who’ll be spurred to come together yet again in the face of a common enemy” and buy up all the tickets. And while his theory is probably as paranoid as any of The Undefeated’s scenes implicitly comparing Palin’s press "attacks" to zebras being devoured by lions, it seems to carry some weight, at least, in the growing reaction to this story filed by The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf, who writes of attending a midnight Undefeated screening populated solely by him and random couples who snuck in to make out (then promptly exited as Andrew Breitbart began talking about eunuchs, as anyone would).

And yes, “Sarah Palin Movie Debuts To Empty Theater” certainly makes for a great headline, but is it all part of yet another Mainstream Media Conspiracy? Breitbart’s blog Big Hollywood definitely thinks so, as it decries the “phony narrative” that’s currently being created around Friedersdorf’s account. To be fair, Friedersdorf was writing about a midnight movie screening on a Thursday that isn’t Harry Potter, and it’s highly unlikely even the most devoted Palin fan would have been there for that—and besides, as Big Hollywood's John Nolte asks, the movie already sold out in Grapevine, Texas, so where are the reports on that, besides here and here and here and here?

But according to some others, Friedersdorf’s complicity in this act may go even deeper than merely choosing a specifically iffy debut showtime: The Freedomist argues that Friedersdorf was actually tipped off by “someone from inside the movie theater, someone who must have arranged for this ‘special’ midnight showing” in order for him to have an empty theater from which he could properly write his “hit piece,” all in a sinister effort to stop the movie from being seen elsewhere somehow. “If this was Florida,” the piece concludes, “Conor might be able to convince 12 people that he is a real journalist, but this is not Florida and we find it hard to believe his intentions were ‘journalistic.’” (Yeah, take that Florida! Also, what?)

Anyway, all pretty par for the course when it comes to Sarah Palin stories, really. It’s either a vast liberal conspiracy intended to defame The Undefeated and dissuade the American people from seeing it (you know, those independent-minded American people who nevertheless also listen to liberal movie critics) or a right-wing conspiracy to goad left-wing writers into slinging the exact sort of mud that will rally and strengthen Palin’s fan base and make the movie a huge success. Whatever the case, it seems like there will be plenty of inspiration for a sequel. Maybe this time they can incorporate one of those stock footage shots of Roman soldiers pouring hot oil on barbarians to symbolize critics dumping their scathing reviews on the nation's teeming hopes and dreams?

Then, of course, I move on to a more popular article of theirs titled "Fine, here is that picture of Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs in lingerie," one which I highly recommending reading the entirety of.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it really disappoints me that Sarah Palin (and the most recent female candidates in the US and Britian), including Hilary Clinton are just so awful, in many interesting and diverse ways.

It's like I used to feel as a little kid about Margaret Thatcher - I really wanted to look up to her as a female role-model, because she was from an ordinary background, and smart, and... but it was just impossible.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
palin, bachmann, and the coulter and malkin of yesteryear.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What did Thatcher do wrong specifically.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Ireland.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Even the conservative party members I know in the UK aren't really that pleased with her role in the country's history. They all admit the Community Charge was bad, as was her monetarist policy and the regions of urban 'antisocial blight' that developed under her run, and one really laments that she was involved in so much privatization, including the start of support in the conservative leadership for rail privatization, which went terribly.

The non-conservatives in the UK I know all .. well, pretty much view her hatefully, like their own cute little reagan.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Thatcher was a boil on British politics.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
But she won a war [Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know you're being sarcastic. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Actually I got this gem from a UK conservative:

quote:
In a world where Thatcher had remained in power to this day, we'd probably be looking at a situation in which our healthcare, infrastructure, electricity rates, and cellphone service was as terrible as yours. Invisible hands and all that, amirite?
ouch
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, all I saw was "Sarah Palin" and "Hot."

I thought this thread was something else. My bad.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.