FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Bad Season 4 is starting tonight. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breaking Bad Season 4 is starting tonight.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
9 pacific. AMC. Best show on television as of it's last season.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite shows, for sure.

I thought last season was a little off their normal standards, but still highly entertaining.

[ July 17, 2011, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I have all 33 eps on my dvr...been watching them with my wife (her first time, my second or third) can't wait for tonight!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited. I watched the first three seasons last summer; I've never watched it as it airs so the wait between episodes is going to kill me.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
One of my favorite shows, for sure.

I thought last season was a little of their normal standards, but still highly entertaining.

I get a little anxious/bored during season 1, mainly because its the first season and Walt's still easing into things. And I think season 2 overuses coincidental storytelling.

Season 3 is my favorite, and I liked that they changed gears for Jesse and Skyler.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

**Spoilers**

I wonder why Gus killed his second in command, Victor. Yes he was showing Walt and Jessie that he is a man to be feared, and considering that Gail could get 97% pure, and Gus still took the (large) risk of bringing in Walt and Jessie, it does make sense that Gus really does want high quality product, and that there was no guarantee of getting that with Victor cooking...but why sacrifice such a multi-talented person...I guess it was because he was seen at Gale's death scene. I imagine it will be made a bit more clear as things progress.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILERS

Yeah, I think its because he was seen.

Prediction: Walt tries to convince Mike to betray Gus.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

So, anyway, great episode. The pace was awesome.

Greatest week ever?

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I don't know about your prediction...I think Walt is learning that the best way to get killing done is using your own two hands.

It was a great episode, but I'm not sure it was the best...there are so many bright and shining moments in this show, it's hard to pick.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I'm not sure he can this time without someone else's help.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Prediction: Walt kills Mike and Gus, although not at the same time.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
This show rocks. I dvr'd the first episode from the new season, but I haven't watched it yet. I think I'll save them up and watch them all at once at the end of the season.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
dramas on tv better than breaking bad:
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

*waits with bated breath*
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

*passes out from holding his breath*

I had assumed the colon would be followed by examples...so I could disagree with them...

What happened Samp?

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I assume Samp purposefully left a blank space. You know, since nothing is better than BB.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

This show involves the creator if X Files. That's how badass it is.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

***SPOILERS***

Cranston's acting here was top-notch. The scene where Gus is just walking around for several minutes getting ready to kill Victor, and the only thing was Walt trying to reason with Gus was breathtakingly good. Gus's presence is phenomenal and Cranston's ability to keep me at rapt attention for that long blew me away.

***/SPOILERS***

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Lots of great direction in this episode. Laughed at the shot where Walt puts on his hat.

Basically a characterization episode.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing all the characters so broken is pretty depressing at the moment. Even Mike is down.

Also, anyone catch what was on that little fast moving ticker at the bottom of Saul's commercial?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Last week was the resolution of season 3...this week is the starting point of season 4.

I really enjoyed the conversation between the gun runner and Walt.

Yea Lyrhawn, everyone is down, but it cool to see Skyler know what she was talking about with the car wash owner.

I'm looking forward to Marie going back to being a bitch and yelling her head off at Hank which causes them to start enjoying each other again.

(Sorry, missed the ticker.)

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

This week was pretty good (I caved and watched both episodes).

SPOILER

The part at the end where Jesse starts crying was pretty awesome and made complete sense. I also liked the part where Walt got punched in the bar. I really hope it goes where I think it's going...

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

I'm curious Jeff...what did you like about Walt getting punched? I think it showed a real difference between a science teacher turned bad and grasping the ideas behind being bad/badass and Mike who has been steeped in violence as a career for years and years.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

SPOILERS

The Walt getting punch thing was cool because it showed that Walt is just an old guy and he's fragile/human. He's not some badass like he's been trying to be, at least not entirely. Deep down he's really just afraid. Mike punched him in the face, and he had good reason to do it. Walt has been trying to control everything and he thinks he can do all this stuff with basically no consequences. We've seen glimpses of Walt arrogance before, especially when he's talking down to people like Jessie or whomever, but this is one of the only times someone actually came back and showed him that he's not that big of a deal. It shocked him, so I'm interested to see what happens next.

At least that's what I got from it.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
By the conclusion of this series I don't expect Walt to have any shred of my empathy. Which I think is a great concept for a series as long as they keep it interesting enough that the lack of any hero whatsoever doesn't matter.

He definitely has gotten away with a lot of arrogance to this point.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Good point Jeff.

I bet you are right scifibum...but I also bet the ying to Walt's yang is Jessie...he starts off an empathy-less criminal and ends up the hero.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Man, I really hope that's what happens, SW. Jessie deserves to become a good person.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

For me the worst arrogance that Walt displayed was when his rich friends offered him money/job...and he shot them down from pride. I mean, come on! Walt had helped generate all that money IIRC...before he quit to become a science teacher.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

SPOILERS

Yeah, that's true, too. I wonder if they'll ever bring up the fact that he's so arrogant. It seems like an intentional character trait that has ultimately come to drive the character and thus, the show itself.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt's t-shirt size sticker on his Kenny Rogers shirt was great.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Walts boss and I would share a drink with him, and I don't drink.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I know they are doing the slow climb and soon we are gong to plunge over the edge, but this season so far as been a little slow.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I really liked last night's episode. I liked the focus on Marie, Hank, and Skyler.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Can't wait till next week.

I miss that dork (not Jesse)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

SPOILERS

My guess for where Mike is taking Jesse, is Mike is going to force Jesse to bury the guy they had to kill. I think deep down, Mike does actually care, at least a bit. He could just take Jesse out back and shoot him without a second thought, we've seen him be that ruthless, and for that matter, he was all ready to shoot Walt without any serious remorse.

Clearly Jesse has gone off the deep end. I just don't know if anything can scare him straight at this point. And really, Walt is being a pretty serious douche about it. Yes, Walt has killed to save Jesse, but he and Jesse aren't the same person. It took a lot more out of Jesse to do that. And Walt doesn't appreciate it at all, especially because Walt killed two drug dealers who had just killed a kid. Jesse had to shoot down a pretty nice guy, right to his face, in cold blood. Now that's loyalty, and he's not getting any credit or sympathy.

I hope this changes soon to be a little less depressing. The only character with her crap together, having a good time, is Skyler.

Watching Walt's flip-out at Saul's office was very amusing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILERS

They may just threaten Jesse's family, and considering his brother, it might work.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

I bet you are right Lyr...about having Jessie bury Victor, or some other measure to get him to snap out of it and cry it out.

Walt is becoming a less and less sympathetic character.

I really enjoyed the Jessie/Mike interaction on the stairway.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILERS

There are a lot of theories going around like that, where Jesse buries or kills that guy, but it doesn't sound like something Gus would sign off on. Playing this sort of mindgame could eventually make Jesse even more unstable, perhaps causing him to hurt someone out of a panic attack or something. It could go really right or really wrong, and I think Gus would do something simpler.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

I bet Gus said something like "Fix the problem, one way or the other." to Mike, and Mike is going to try and snap him out of his apathy, or if that doesn't work...kill him. Either way, problem solved. I have faith that Jessie will live.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILZ

But that's the thing. If apathy is shaken, Jesse might just become destructive later, and it could backfire in Gus' face.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILS OF WAR

Sure, but it's not an ideal situation for Gus as Walt is as much if not more of a loose cannon as Jessie, but he needs them both.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jesse is totally expendable to Gus.

One of the real questions is going to be whether or not Walt still feels the loyalty to him that he has in the past. He doesn't acknowledge any of the major hardships that Jesse has had to endure in the last couple seasons, both of which I think are more severe than what Walt has dealt with.

But especially after what Jesse just did for Walt, I have to believe that Walt's sense of loyalty will kick in at least a little bit, even if he's totally oblivious to the pain Jesse is in.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Jesse is totally expendable to Gus.
I strongly disagree...because Walt has made it clear in no uncertain terms that Jessie is part of the deal, so because Gus needs Walt, he equally needs Jess.

And while I agree that Walt has been crazy insensitive to Jess personally, I think he has been very loyal to him in regards to them being a team.

[ August 09, 2011, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Disagree. Gus was willing, more than once, to toss Jesse overboard regardless of Walt's feelings. If Mike really does just take Jesse out into the wild and kills him, what will Walt do? He'll keep on cooking, and Gus knows it.

Walt is the brains. Jesse is the extremely problematic and troublesome sidekick that brings nothing to the table but goodwill with Walt.

That's from Gus' point of view, of course. Personally, Jesse is my favorite character, and seeing him torn up is just agonizing.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

There's also the cancer though. Gus would need someone to take over should it ever claim Walt. He could just force Walt to teach whoever, but that still might not work out. And Gus knows Jesse could cook it without Walt's help, because he bought a bag of it from Jesse in S3 (to manipulate Walt) And before he had Gale up his sleeve, a chemist was almost as good as Walt. I love you Gail. I hope your somewhere happy in the stars.

I wonder if they'll bring back that guy that Mike rescued from the Cartel.

I dunno. Can't wait for sunday.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

The sheer vanity of Walt at diner with Hank is staggering. The one guy who is actively seeking him has given up, but Walt doesn't like his credit (for evil) being taken up by Gail...wow, such an assbag.

Meanwhile he is agreeing with Skyler's suggestion of "complete honesty" while continuing to lie lie lie. At least we see at the diner table Skyler gets to see the sheer arrogance Walt.

And while he did have Jessie's back which is admirable, I think he just really wants to kill Gus for cutting Victor's throat in front of him and making him afraid.

What a great and creative way to bring Jessie back into the fold, and even possibly split his loyalty away from Walt in the future. I wonder if they are going to start training him to fill the gaps that Victor left. Jessie is smart enough, just needs guidance.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILERS IS COMING

I just really wanted to say that. Carry on.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Dang you hulk! I got excited that people are discussing my fave show, and then it's all false advertising!
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

A RAVEN CAME WITH SPOILERS

It's kind of funny that while we kind of laugh at Hank, he just busted shit wide open.

[ August 18, 2011, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: umberhulk ]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I've always thought Hank was a very interesting character. He is very much a paradox of what he projects and who he really is, that is, a loud mouth good ol' boy vs a caring, hard working, sensitive individual.

I think he hides in his persona, to keep his more vulnerable nature safe from a harsh world.

Where I think Walt is really not a good person inside, a glory seeking egotist who maintains propriety as a way of showing superiority and not because of any real moral character underneath.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.