FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Korra's looking good.

Author Topic: Korra's looking good.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out for yourself.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SOO excited for this.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, wanted to post this myself!

I love how they manage to blend the newfangled modern-ness with all the traditional costumes.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great! Wow. And I can't possibly explain how excited I am that they more than doubled it from how long it was originally going to be. I'm glad they tossed a bit of funny at the end there too to let us know that the Sokka/Iroh humor won't be left out of this iteration.

I forgot about this for a couple months and just the other day when rooting around for information and found all sorts of interesting things that only have me more excited. I'm glad they brought back The Track Team for the music as well.

Is there a release date?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Mid-2012 was said in some recent article.

You can find out a lot of info from ComicCon at avatarspiritmedia.net.

Something I'm particularly interested in the description of the music: "1920s jazz invented by the Chinese."

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hm, that's mildly disappointing, since Fall 2011 was the original estimated release date, but I can wait, I suppose.

I really liked what they did with the music in the first series. I'd like to hear something new, however, I don't want them to lose the feel they had.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Looks great! Wow. And I can't possibly explain how excited I am that they more than doubled it from how long it was originally going to be.

mmm, good news.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited about this. SO EXCITED.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Like one the commenters on the linked page, I find this to have a severe lack of ponies.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it sticks. Sequels are hard to pitch, especially when they don't involve the original cast. In this case, none of the original characters are in it at all, so that kinda sucks.

Otherwise, it looks cool.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
I hope it sticks. Sequels are hard to pitch, especially when they don't involve the original cast. In this case, none of the original characters are in it at all, so that kinda sucks.

Otherwise, it looks cool.

I think one of the cool things about having the most popular show in the history of a network is that you get a lot of sway the next time around, though, from what I've read, they certainly didn't get to write their own ticket this time. Nick wanted a much smaller, more compact show, and they were originally going to do it in 12 instead of 26 episodes, which would have been all killer no filler. But now they have a chance to slow it down a little bit, which I like.

They've also said that they have a ton more ideas for Avatar, and that they could spend quite a bit of time in this universe. I'm looking forward to a prequel that details life when Air Benders were actually around. I'm wondering if they'd do something with Kyoshi, since she's apparently something of a fan favorite, and Korra was somewhat based on her because of fan reactions to Kyoshi. There is still a lot of untapped fertile ground involving things like Iroh's background, or the spirit world and people like Ko, or even a generation before that. I'm just happy that they want to stick with it, and that Nickelodeon seems fine with letting them sort of do whatever they want.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think one of the cool things about having the most popular show in the history of a network is that you get a lot of sway the next time around, though, from what I've read, they certainly didn't get to write their own ticket this time.
And guess what else? Remember how bad the live action movie was? DiMartino and Konietzko had pretty much insisted to not have anything to do with it and pretty much warned about what was going to happen with the movie, and the resulting shame of Nickelodeon when I didn't eat a hat? Yeah, they get more breathing room with the franchise now.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's sweet that they named the firebending guy Mako. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:

Second. [Smile]

I still get a little choked up whenever I see Iroh's bit from "Tales from Ba Sing Se" when he sings the song for his son. I miss Mako. [Frown]

Samp -

Yeah, I remember reading interviews with them about that. They went out of their way to wash their hands of the movie. In a way it's a shame, because a live action Avatar could have been awesome, though, by its nature, the plot arc aspect of the show makes it hard to cram it all into two hours, even if they did a movie per season. It's also a shame that so many more people know about the bad movie than do the awesome show. I think that was a lot of bad PR for the show.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing a live-action remake of the show itself always sounded like a bad idea to me, even before M. Night and all the racebending. It would have been far better to do some different stories in the same universe, like pretty much everything Lyrhawn said earlier in the thread -- pre-show history with Air benders, Kiyoshi, Avatar Kuruk and Ko, or Iroh's backstory. If they really wanted to pull out Team Avatar, they could have done a different story completely that still fit in with the narrative of the series.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I honestly think a 2.5 hour version of each season was perfectly plausible. In the show, the seasons are 7 hours long, half of which is filler episodes, and some portion of the remaining 3.5 hours is spent on "reminder" dialogue to keep people who missed an episode up to speed.

I think it's entirely plausible to cut them down to about 3 hours, and then re-arrange a few plot elements to get a good 2.5 hour movie.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:

Completely agreed.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I honestly think a 2.5 hour version of each season was perfectly plausible. In the show, the seasons are 7 hours long, half of which is filler episodes, and some portion of the remaining 3.5 hours is spent on "reminder" dialogue to keep people who missed an episode up to speed.

I think it's entirely plausible to cut them down to about 3 hours, and then re-arrange a few plot elements to get a good 2.5 hour movie.

I completely agree, if it were done well, it could be really amazing.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I'd like to see an episode or even a season just about the very first avatar that there ever was. It would probably be a really long time ago, though.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't each avatar a reincarnation of the last? In other words, aren't they all the same person/spirit?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't each avatar a reincarnation of the last? In other words, aren't they all the same person/spirit?
Yes.
Member # 11614

quote:
I'd like to see an episode or even a season just about the very first avatar that there ever was. It would probably be a really long time ago, though.

Same spirit, different person. This was played with on many episodes. (All those times the show highlighted the difference between Aang and Kyoshi)
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

So basically, Korra is essentially Aang, except a girl. That's awesome!
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
But Aang was born before Roku died. Does this mean that the Avatar spirit was within Aang from birth or did it only attach itself to him on the moment that Roku died?
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
But Aang was born before Roku died.

What gave you that idea? We see Aang being born immediately after Roku's death in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord."
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:

Naw, I think she's a lot more uptight, and her spirit guide (Aang) is gonna try to loosen her up.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To the extent that Aang was essentially Kyoshi, except a boy. Really, the "spirit" part doesn't seem to influence personality in the show as much as you'd think.

Added: I'm hoping this series answers my biggest question: If there are no more air nomads, what is going to happen when they get back around to the air part of the Avatar cycle? I guess someone is going to have to teach Korra airbending, so it seems likely they'll address it. If this question has already been answered (by the creators or popular fan theory), please let me know [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been a long time since I actually saw the show. Forgive me for supposing that.

This does leave the world with no effective Avatar for about 14 years after the death of the previous one, though.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
[QUOTE]Added: I'm hoping this series answers my biggest question: If there are no more air nomads, what is going to happen when they get back around to the air part of the Avatar cycle? I guess someone is going to have to teach Korra airbending, so it seems likely they'll address it. If this question has already been answered (by the creators or popular fan theory), please let me know [Smile] .

Uhh, spoiler for Korra, I guess. Don't read if you don't want to know.
Aang and Katara have three kids, of which the third, Tenzin, is an airbender. Tenzin has three kids at the time Korra starts, and though it hasn't yet been revealed if any of them are airbenders, odds are good at least one is. (The image of Tenzin, wife, and kids was released at SDCC.)

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks ambyr. For some reason I had it in my head that Aang really was the "last airbender". I see that he held that title only temporarily [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

***Spoilers from the ComiCon panel***

All three of Tenzin's kids are airbenders, according to the ComiCon panel. Aang (or maybe it was Tenzin) also found a herd of sky bison (the original air benders that humans learned air bending from), so while the Air Nomad culture is very fragile right now, it has a good chance of surviving into the future. Canonically, all people born to the air nomads are air benders anyway, so they would even have an easier time rebuilding their numbers than nations with rarer bending talent.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Korra I peg immediately as an Arrogant Kungfu Girl.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Korra I peg immediately as an Arrogant Kungfu Girl.

My thoughts as well.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.