FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stage Collapses at Indiana State Fair - UPDATE Another stage collapse in Belgium

Author Topic: Stage Collapses at Indiana State Fair - UPDATE Another stage collapse in Belgium
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Scores injured. 3 confirmed dead, but, on the ground witnesses say that number is much higher.

I can't find a good link to the video, most of what I'm seeing is on Facebook or TV, but it's absolutely surreal.

EDIT TO ADD: 1-4 dead for sure, reports are conflicting. At least 40 injured. High winds and driving rain and hail caused the collapse of various stages, sound towers and destroyed a great deal of equipment. A band was on stage at the time. 30 Seconds to Mars' Jared Leto tweeted that four stages collapsed and still the rain was coming on, though other reports say that the storm lasted only 10 minutes.

[ August 18, 2011, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
!

I know a lot of people who go to the Indiana State Fair [Frown] .

That suggests a horrible lack of safety procedures, as big stages are supposed to be extremely overengineered.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A really good friend of mine had two sisters-in-law that were at the concert, but they were way in the back away from the rigging.

I don't know if this link will work, it's to a Facebook video

There's a better video that local Indianapolis news is using from a cell phone, but, I can't find a link to it.

Reports now confirm four dead. The cause was high winds. They say a storm just formed out of nowhere, and wind shear was the cause. Gusts from the leading edge of the storm were higher than 50mph, and it was a localized phenomenon just near the stage.

Totally freak, bizarre accident.

ETA: New reports are coming in that report winds at 60 to 70 mph. One report came in from a gas station seven miles from the fair grounds that clocked in at 70mph.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live a 5 minute walk from the Fair Grounds, in the neighborhood across the street to the south. (College and Fairfield, for those who know the area) I know a lot of people who go to the Fair, I hope none of them were injured.

This is absolutely terrible.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just crazy.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Another report I'm reading clocked the wind gusts at 77mph in Plainfield, which is a few miles to the southwest of the Fairgrounds. That would officially classify the winds as hurricane-force, if that number holds up.

Injury reports range anywhere between 43 and 200. Fatality reports between 4 and 10. Dozens of ambulances were reported on scene.

There are differing reports on whether an evacuation was ordered. Most people seem to be saying that a guy came on stage to say that a storm was coming and that if things got bad, they'd need to leave the area, but the collapse happened only minutes after that, with no warning.

Everyone has said that as soon as the stage collapsed, dozens of people rushed toward the stage to try and lift the wreckage off the people trapped below.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Search and rescue operations are completed. Everyone has been recovered or rescued from the wreckage.

Injuries range from bruises to compound fractures and concussions. Age ranges on the injured from from a seven year old boy to a 60 year old woman.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This video from CNN shows the collapse and some of the immediate aftermath

You can see in this video that dozens of people rushed toward the fallen stage to try and rescue people trapped beneath it. Pretty impressive that in that sort of situation, that many people surged in to help. Personally I'd be a little leery of moving injured people, as without trained first responders there, it can sometimes cause more harm than good, however, it sounds like there were a lot of medical personnel in the crowd doing some on the spot triage.

According to this CNN article, there have been at least two other stage collapses due to weather just this summer. This is the most horrific, but it's not an isolated incident.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that only killed four people. I'd feel sick for days if I saw that happen.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I live about 2 hours north of Indianapolis. We were hit by an upper portion of this storm. The wind gusts that preceded it were out of this world.

While I think it's a good idea to investigate what happened, it's quite possible that no one is to blame.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families. [Frown]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought about going to a concert there this year. I'm really glad I didn't. It is a really sad thing though.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that when this happened, Sugar Land immediately went to their tour bus and left.

Uh. Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty effin' cowardly?

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

In what way? You're mad that Sugarland didn't join in the recovery effort?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Sugarland was literally moments away from going on -- they were in a prayer circle, getting ready to step out -- when their stage manager decided they shouldn't because of the weather. They were leaving the back of the stage just as it collapsed. The singer from Sugarland was devastated and very emotional for the next few days. One of the guys flew back to Georgia to be with his family.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think I read that they also donated money to the families of those who died, and they were very vocal in their condolences. Considering they were quite literally moments away from death, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Handful dead and scores injurd at Pukkelpop Festival in Belgium

Another link with different videos of the storm. Neither video is as horrific as the Indiana one, but, the weather is a LOT wilder.

Only hours ago, a massive storm hit the Pukkelpop Festival in Hasselt, Belgium, killing several and injuring 40 or more. A Chicago-based band was on one of the four stages that collapsed setting up their equipment when the stages collapsed.

Their comment on the collapse? "I hope Pukkelpop has insurance, cause all our shit is broke." One hopes they hadn't heard about the deaths when they made those comments, though I have to imagine I'd be pissed too.

ETA: A BBC blurb on the aftermath of the storm

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

MTV reports 3 dead and more than 70 injured.

MSNBC says 3 dead on scene, 1 more died in a hospital, 11 had serious injuries, 60 treated on site.

More images.

Given that bands were on stage at the time, it's a wonder only equipment was destroyed.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Death toll from Indiana Stage collapse rose to 7 today.
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a twist to the already tragic event: "Stage Collapse Lawsuit to Test Gay Marriage Law".

I have a feeling this lawsuit will cap off the first tragedy of nature with a second tragedy of human construct.

[Cry]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that will be interesting. Is this the first such high profile case to take place since gay marriage was legalized in one state but the lawsuit rests in another?
Anthonie
Member # 884

I'm not sure about that.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well that will be interesting. Is this the first such high profile case to take place since gay marriage was legalized in one state but the lawsuit rests in another?

I think it may be.

And.... here comes the latest showdown; waiting with bated breath on this one.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It was only ever going to be a matter of time. And to think we were just talking in the other thread about how long it will take for DOMA to come before the courts. Looks like it might be sooner rather than later, assuming her case isn't tossed out before it becomes an issue.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.