FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » beehive

Author Topic: beehive
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
i have a decently large beehive in a tree. it's about the size of a basketball in a reverse upside down teardrop shape, in a nice shade of gray. not sure what kind of bee wasp or hornet it is.

how should i kill it?

spray?
cut the limb and drag away?
baseball bat?

thoughts?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any direct experience getting rid of beehives, so take this with a grain of salt, but trying to move the hive yourself or destroy it with a bat seem like relatively bad ideas unless you want to be swarmed by angry bees. I'd assume your best bet if you want to take care of it yourself is to cover yourself up as well as you can and use some kind of spray. Once you're sure everything in it is dead, then destroy the hive however seems easiest to prevent a new colony from moving in.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would call an exterminator.

Rodents, roaches, ants -- I'll kill them myself. But when it comes to things that sting, I call a pro.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the bees from the hive really bothering you? If it's just the occasional annoying bee, you can buy traps that look like fake honeycombs that you put some sort of sugary lure in. The bees can get in, but they can't get it. That'll pick off the occasional straggler if it's just a random nuisance. But yeah, if they are really swarming, you call an exterminator, or you'll get attacked.

We used to have constant bee issues growing up. There was a persistent band of bees that kept trying to build hives all over the place. They built them into our deck railing, they tried to burrow into the ground and built them. Their most successful attempt was when they built sizable honeycombs into the roof of my brother's trunk lid on his old Thunderbird. They even infrequently found their way through cracks in our foundation into the house, one of which led to my childhood bedroom, and one into the bathroom. Oy, that was an ongoing annoyance.

On the bright side, I have zero fear of bees now. I actually kind of like them.

And you know, as far as I know, if it's not a honeybee hive, most species of hornet and wasp die out over the winter (if you live somewhere cold) and have to rebuild the nest in the spring, so, maybe you could wait them out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I had good luck with a spray against a hornet nest beneath our deck out back. It was just a little smaller than a volleyball. Not only did it kill the hornets, but it dissolved the nest as well. I was lucky to be able to stand in a doorway to do my spraying (to make a quick escape if necessary). I had 2 cans of spray but only used about 3/4 of one can.

Do this at night when all the little beasties are in the nest.

Of course, waiting them out till winter is a better idea--if they aren't bothering you.

On a related topic, I spent the first week of August at Boy Scout camp in Michigan with my son. I walked into camp one afternoon to hear one of the leaders tell a boy: "If I have to break your arms to get you to stop, I will!" The boy in question was throwing rocks at a basketball sized wasp nest in a tree in the middle of camp. [Eek!]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
1) If they appear to be bees instead of wasps, you may consider looking up beekeepers in the area and asking for their help. In my experience the bee-keeping community is quite friendly, and if there's any chance that they could salvage the hive to add to their swarm they would probably be appreciative (especially since the bee population has been in decline for a while now, especially the last year or two).

Even if they aren't interested, you may be able to borrow a suit to wear for the ensuing combat.

2) If you're willing to go through the trouble and the fire-codes allow, blowing smoke into the hive for a while before spraying it or whatnot will cause the bees/wasps to become quite lethargic and less dangerous (though they still may sting).

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Bees don't generally make hives in trees the way you've described; the hive you're seeing is probably a wasp hive.

While some people pooh-pooh the distinction, to me it's important: bees are useful creatures who make delicious honey. Wasps are proof of Satan.

If they're bees, I'll call a beekeeper; they're usually happy to get a swarm. If they're wasps, and the nest is high enough and not in my way, I'll just leave it alone.

If they are in my way, or pose a threat, then I'd call an exterminator.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
bald-faced hornets
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSIP8RgUbf8

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lobo - Wow, that worked surprisingly well.

Scott - Yes! I couldn't agree more on the distinction between bees and hornets. I actually wrote a creative non-fiction essay using bees and hornets as a metaphor for life a couple semesters ago.

DSH - What camp? Just curious, I was a Boy Scout in Michigan growing up.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Camp Rotary, near Clare. It was a very beautiful camp with a well run program, I loved every minute of it!
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I went there once, but spent most of my time at D-Bar-A. It was always a nice camp, but looks even nicer now. Glad you and your son liked it.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
No don't kill bees ;-; if they are bee's have a pro move them elsewhere, I done seen hundred dying this spring of them dang parasites...very sad and I'm starting to see sweat bees do the same thing now..

Now if they're wasps and your a good shot with the fancy bow and arrow.... got some petroleum jelly, vegetable oil, an old towel or washcloth you don't mind burning... I am sure you're plenty creative to see where this flaming arrow things is going, if not I think there are things sort of like weed killer for bugs that you can attach to a hose and just fire at them... either way someones going to get hurt .-.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.