FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christine O'Donnell walks off Piers Morgan Tonight in middle of interview

Author Topic: Christine O'Donnell walks off Piers Morgan Tonight in middle of interview
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the story, and the video of her walking off: Link

Now, my gut reaction was to title this thread "O'Donnell implodes during interview," but I reserved judgment in case Piers really was being rude, and frankly, I don't think he was. It might have been a little annoying to be asked about questions that she was hounded about so much during her Senate campaign, however, she's not exactly a disinterested party. She wrote a book where she addressed some of these issues, she's trying to make money off of it, she's trying to be a player, even if only a money-grubbing one, in the conservative arena, so I don't think she gets to exclude parts of her own book from being discussed. If she had left them out of the book, that might be different.

In general though, I think Piers is right. He's the host, he gets to ask the questions. If they only talk about what she has a canned answer for, then why even have an interview? Why not just let her make a 20 minute speech? That seems to be what she wanted to do.

I think she would have been better off giving the standard Tea Party response to the question, or just answering however she sees fit, and Piers probably would have dropped it and moved on. Now it's a much bigger issue than it needs to be, and while the right might see Piers as a bully, I think most people will think she overreacted.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If they only talk about what she has a canned answer for, then why even have an interview? Why not just let her make a 20 minute speech? That seems to be what she wanted to do.

Many people before her have tried much the same thing on a variety of talk shows -- usually when hawking a new book. I suspect their publisher/agent/handler gives them unrealistic expectations, because free publicity is exactly what they want.

This isn't really a political issue. It's a "give me free publicity MY way" issue, and most hosts won't let people get away with that.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's my reading. Though, she's the only one I can think of in recent memory who threw a hissy fit on camera and stormed off the set when she didn't get her way.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
None selling books, maybe.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
She was a call-in guest on a local radio show yesterday and opened with a really odd speech about how the "witch" ridiculousness was a consequence of not trusting her gut, and she hopes to inspire voters to "trust their gut". And the show host said "isn't that what happened to you in the election? The voters trusted their gut, and decided you were crazy?"

I had to turn off the radio when she paused, then forced a laugh, and then started to try to get back on message. It was too much awkwardness.

But I thought it was a hilarious subversion of her sales pitch for the book.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of amusing to see O'Donnell back in the spotlight, in one of the only ways she could have accomplished it: reminding people who she is, how helpless she is as a candidate, and how gracious and helpful the tea party is to the democrats during primaries.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I did think Piers was a bit rude; but he's that way with almost all his conservative guests. (Penn Gillette being the semi-exception, as he's not a social conservative, but IS (IIRC) a fiscal conservative) If you don't know what you're getting into, don't get into it.

O'donnel actually said, on air, something to the effect of, "I came to talk about my book. As a talk show host, that's your job, to talk about what I want to talk about."

I laughed aloud. Then I went back to my game of Kingdom Rush.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Rude is so contextual. In this case- she was very foolish to believe that she could manipulate him and use his airtime to get a free advertisement for her book. He probably felt insulted by that, and I would as well.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they had an agreement to use the airtime to advertise the book.

Where they apparently weren't in agreement was whether the airtime would also be used for anything else, like "probing questions" or "anything interesting."

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that's roughly accurate of Penn. He's a libertarian.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I think they had an agreement to use the airtime to advertise the book.

Where they apparently weren't in agreement was whether the airtime would also be used for anything else, like "probing questions" or "anything interesting."

Well, I can imagine that she thought "advertise," and he thought "discuss." And just as casual viewer, she's not very bright if she thinks "discuss" is not on the menu. I mean really, it's in the book. She won't talk about it?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well as a ploy it succeeded. I had completely forgotten about O'Donnell, until I saw that clip. I am now consciously aware of her existance. :\
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

:snort: Oh joy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think twice of crossing her, but thankfully she's not a witch, so I can scorn and mock her with impunity!

Wouldn't be pullin' that on Baba Yaga, lemme tell ya.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Koschei would be pissed.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Rude is so contextual. In this case- she was very foolish to believe that she could manipulate him and use his airtime to get a free advertisement for her book. He probably felt insulted by that, and I would as well.

Piers said she was being "weird" for not answering questions about a subject that she'd already said she wasn't going to talk about. Piers, as far as I can tell, did not attempt to come at the question from a different angle; he just demanded that she extemporize on a subject she said (twice) she wasn't interested in discussing.

I don't care for either of them. Piers is rude and poor interviewer; and O'donnel comes off as a bit of an airhead.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, he's not a great interviewer. She definitely came off like an airhead. Had ii been there, I would have explained to her more directly that she was there to disucss the book, and that this was part of the book, and that I have every right to ask about it.

But still, really, she was a fool to go in blind like that, and expect to be treated nicely.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
that this was part of the book, and that I have every right to ask about it.
I recall her saying that it WASN'T part of the book-- am I wrong?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I think your mistaken- he was asking her about her views on homosexuality, which he said ARE discussed in the book. Just, she didn't want to talk about it because it wasn't part of the marketing for the book, basically. She did say that it is in the book.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was a part of the book she hadn't written herself.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Maybe it was a part of the book she hadn't written herself.

[Laugh]
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that my first reaction to this thread was, "Who?". At least she is getting attention.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met O'Donnel once, and she was pretty terrible at conversing with people about anything serious.

However, this was after a friend of mine accused her of turning him into a newt.

... he got better.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.