FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gold Vs. The Dollar (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gold Vs. The Dollar
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i am posting in this high quality thread
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter,
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing apples to apples this time rather than apples to sneakers?
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Sneakers > apples

But oranges blow everything out of the water.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Dollars: Highly valued and sought after by all humans. Of no value (except to buy gold) to space aliens.

Gold: Highly valued and sought after by everyone, including the space aliens the U.S. government bribes with said gold to not land and take over again.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold & Dollars: Both worthless when the zombie apocalypse happens.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet Paper & Ramen: More valuable than family members in the zombie apocalypse.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You need hot water to make ramen. I would go with those packages of tuna.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

But gold could save your life in the Cyberman Apocalypse.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
see he is saying that gold vs. the dollar is like a quote from private hudson. what is pertinent to this socioeconomic discussion is that hudson as a symbolic representation of fiat vs. commodity exchange currency acts in the visual representative stead, a sort of cinematic specie, as it were, and recognizing the depths and layers of fiat market currency is like recognizing that bill paxton is the anarcho-representative talismanic fetish of the federal reserve; an ignorant person might just look at the economic situation today and see the dollar (hudson) being eaten by an Alien, but the truly wise can look underneath that and see the dollar (paxton) being reborn symbolically and hollowly to be killed by not only the xenomorph but also a Predator (capital gains tax) and a Terminator (the future governor of California) and that this is exactly the kind of nuanced observation and comparative representation of hollywood residuals as a representation of our monetary concerns that the world truly needs. furthermore,
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I wonder if that was as much work to write as it was to read.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:

I bet you could beat a zombie to death with a gold brick, but slapping them with cash will likely only get you a one way ticket to brain eating town.
Jake
Member # 206

You could make a scalemail gorget out of dimes, though.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Screw that. Load shotgun shells with dimes and show zombies the money.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
quote:

I bet you could beat a zombie to death with a gold brick, but slapping them with cash will likely only get you a one way ticket to brain eating town.
Have you ever tried to beat somebody to death with a gold brick? They're very unwieldy.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's build a fire, sing some songs.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You could make bullets/shot easier out of gold then steel, but about the same as copper.

quote:
Have you ever tried to beat somebody to death with a gold brick?
You know, it's funny you should ask, as I did try and beat someone with a gold brick just the other day. Although I must admit I just wanted them unconscious and not dead.
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you ever tried to beat somebody to death with a gold brick? They're very unwieldy.
Well, you put it in a sock first. Duh.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes, but I usually wrap a slice of lemon around it first.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

One slice for a whole brick? You need a bigger lemon, or a bigger brick. But yeah, I like the way you think. Way to add insult to injury.

Jake, I hope those are some high quality socks you wear.

Jake
Member # 206

Only the best, Strider. Only the best.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold could be dropped on the zombies from a height, or heated to melting and flung at them, GoT style.

I suppose if you had enough cash you could create some sort of fire trap, though.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:

Yes, but I usually wrap a slice of lemon around it first.
ahhhh yesssssssss
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaand we have discovered Sam's fetish.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The pan Galactic Gargle-blaster?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Most people have no clue how truly heavy a gold brick is.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nearly 30 pounds. For context, a woman standing about 5'7" of average build, would comprise a little over 4 gold bars in weight.

A giant like me would be closer to 8 bars.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Most people have no clue how truly heavy a gold brick is.
Some people have no clue how truly sturdy my socks are.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Having (to the best of my knowledge) never met you in person, Rabbit doesn't understand the critical importance to everyone around you of your socks' sturdiness.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Nearly 30 pounds. For context, a woman standing about 5'7" of average build, would comprise a little over 4 gold bars in weight.

Five seven and 120lbs is average build in your world? Do you live in the land of TV stars and gymnasts?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Having (to the best of my knowledge) never met you in person, Rabbit doesn't understand the critical importance to everyone around you of your socks' sturdiness.

It's true. I have a nasty case of Happy Feet. I rely on my heavy, sturdily built socks to prevent this terrible affliction from being expressed.

quote:
Five seven and 120lbs is average build in your world? Do you live in the land of TV stars and gymnasts?
Have you been reading nothing, Kate? He lives in the land of the zombie apocalypse. The average build of a woman is his bleak, ruined world is probably shambling around in an advanced state of decomposition. There's nothing like rotting to help shed pounds.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

yes
Strider
Member # 1807

I imagine Noemon was familiar with the reference.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
There's nothing like rotting to help shed pounds.

Also, brains are very low in fat.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dollars: Highly valued and sought after by all humans. Of no value (except to buy gold) to space aliens.

Gold: Highly valued and sought after by everyone, including the space aliens the U.S. government bribes with said gold to not land and take over again."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Screw that. Load shotgun shells with dimes and show zombies the money."

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOL

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

"I bet you could beat a zombie to death with a gold brick, but slapping them with cash will likely only get you a one way ticket to brain eating town.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

I was rounding to 30, but my math was a bit lazy. What is it, 130? I can never tell how much women are supposed to weigh. And anyway, I live in Czech republic, where women are on average a lot slimmer. For my part, my muscle and bone density is very high, so everybody underestimates my weight by about 10 percent.
rivka
Member # 4859

121-160 is the general "ideal" range for a woman who is 5'7".
Orincoro
Member # 8854

As high as 160? I know the "BMI" scale is outdated, but 160 sounds high to me. Would that be a woman with a very wide frame, or large breasts? Just curious, maybe I'm underestimating how tall a woman is at 5' 7". I usually overestimate women's heights for some reason, probably because most are shorter than me, so I just don't notice.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wide frame, large breasts, huge goiter, hunchback and elephantiasis of all four limbs. I mean how else could a woman weigh 160 lbs. without being a hideous freak of nature? [Wink]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Average height for American women is 5'6". So 5'7" is on the slightly tall side for a woman.

And the notion that 160 is "too high" for a woman of 5'7" is a sign that you have been influenced by the many unrealistic images of women in the media.

Or it's the zombies, like Jake said.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, not necessarily. It's not that I have an unrealistic image of how a woman is supposed to look. I just don't know how heavy a normal looking woman weighs, honestly. Maybe if women stopped lying about their weight?
rivka
Member # 4859

Nice. Blame your ignorance on women.

What 5'7" and 160 looks like.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Haha, come on, there's some truth in that. How many women shave off 15 pounds, or won't say what they weigh? How can I know?

But yeah, that looks like a fine weight to me. I'm not into skinny anyway.

Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

yes
Yep.

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
There's nothing like rotting to help shed pounds.

Also, brains are very low in fat.
An excellent point!

quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
"Screw that. Load shotgun shells with dimes and show zombies the money."

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOL

Yeah, I was pretty entertained by that one too.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this Jake guy, and why does he agree with everything Noemon says?

You know what? I think they're alts. They must be TomDavidson!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

We are legion.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning--- NITPICKING AHEAD --- Warning

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

I was rounding to 30, but my math was a bit lazy. What is it, 130?
A gold brick weighs a little less than 30 pounds (27.4 lbs to be precise) which means that 4 gold bricks weigh just under 110 lbs -- which is really skinny for a 5'7" woman (BMI 15). Five gold bricks weigh 137 lbs which is the dead middle of the healthy range for a woman of 5'7" and well below average weight for American women.

quote:
Average height for American women is 5'6".
Surprisingly (at least to me), the median height for American women is only 63.8" (5'3.8"). US health Statistics. The median height for white women between 20 and 29 is only slightly higher (5'4.8"). At just under 5'5", I've always considered myself short. It turns out I'm a bit over the 50th percentile for women of my age.

-------- End NitPick ---------------

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.