FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hurricane Irene

Author Topic: Hurricane Irene
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I live near the infamous Jersey Shore. What should I know?
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Cast out (or sacrifice, really) the cast, crew, producers, backers...local fans...of the infamous show of the infamous shore and hope for divine reprieve?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait and see.

It looks like it could be anything from you getting directly drilled by a Cat 3 to only getting hit with the outer rainbands. Depends on where it tracks after it gets out of the Caribbean.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Target or the grocery store or wherever and get bottles of water now. If you do, Irene will totally whiff and miss the East Coast entirely. If you don't, expect horrible flooding. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scheduled to fly through Miami on Friday. I'm a bit relieved to see Irene is no longer forecast to hit Florida that day.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Go to Target or the grocery store or wherever and get bottles of water now. If you do, Irene will totally whiff and miss the East Coast entirely. If you don't, expect horrible flooding. [Smile]

Yeah, 'cause that worked so well for me and Hurricane Andrew... [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Looks like this thing could end up being an historic hurricane.

The East Coast seems to mostly be fine battening down the hatches and evacuating, but it if drills New York City like NOAA officials fears, the damage could be extreme. Here's hoping it misses.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the beach (Daytona Beach to be precise) and it was pretty neat. The waves were nice and big (well, not really nice per se... quite violent actually) and the current was dragging me straight south. And I mean dragging: I was digging my heels into the dirt and still getting pulled. I assume that's the result of the storm being a bit off the coast and turning counterclockwise and whatnot. While part of me has been in the mood for a good hurricane, I guess I can't say I'm sad she mostly missed us down here.

Best wishes to anyone who is in the path.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Daytona Beach! [Smile]

We're mostly just glad all we got (this time) was a rougher surf for a few days. We've had enough damage and power outages to last us awhile, thanks.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend has been in New York for two weeks and was supposed to fly back tomorrow. They just cancelled his flight. [Frown]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Cast out (or sacrifice, really) the cast, crew, producers, backers...local fans...of the infamous show of the infamous shore and hope for divine reprieve?

"You must spread some reputation around before repping Rakeesh again."

[The Wave]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
My boyfriend has been in New York for two weeks and was supposed to fly back tomorrow. They just cancelled his flight. [Frown]

I'm sincerely sorry. [Frown]

Hopefully something miraculous and unforeseen changes/happens that brings him home to you on time.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Looks like the storm is REALLY losing steam as it pounds North Carolina. I think the New York doom scenario fears aren't going to play out.
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel terrible for people in NC, but I hope what you are saying comes true.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
the hurricane is poised to his my home town.

We evacuated when it was voluntary. it's now mandatory. Tons of neighbors and friends aren't taking this seriously and stayed behind. We hid our silver before we left to prevent looting.

Our fire dept. issued a statement - "All who have stayed behind: you're on your own"

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
We hid our silver before we left to prevent looting.

Are you talking about hiding a few rings or something, or do you have an ingot collection you haven't mentioned before?

I hope that the storm isn't too damaging, and that your neighbors and friends are okay.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Orthodox Jews have a TON of silver religious items. Candle sticks, menorahs, holders for citrus fruit on a certain holiday, holders for scrolls, cups for washing....

I hope so too, and they haven't left and we just learned that they closed all major roads out of there.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Announce that you left and hid a ton of silver on a public forum [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Wanna go get it in the middle of a hurricane? Be my guest [Razz]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this will be a National Guard situation, but just in case it is...

After Hurricane Andrew, we had a National Guard stationed no more than twenty feet from our back yard, at the interesection of the entrance to my neighborhood and one of the busiest streets in the area.

We couldn't help but notice that the guy would be out there for hours on end and never go to the bathroom or anything. So I went out there and told them that, if they ever did need to use the bathroom, they can walk in to my house at any time through the back (screen door was shattered during the hurricane) and use it whenever they had to.

I never felt safer from that point on. It's like I had my own heavily armed personal security service. I felt I could leave every door and window in the house open at that point; nobody was going to mess with me now!

And those poor guards used the bathroom a lot.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
what

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/08/27/do-really-need-national-weather-service/

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Orthodox Jews have a TON of silver religious items.

Ahem. (Some) WEALTHY (or at least fairly well-off) Orthodox Jews have lots of silver items. (The truly wealthy may have some gold items as well.)

The rest of us have silver-plate, porcelain, or wood. [Razz]

I hope your home town (and the rest of NY, for that matter) is unscathed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
jews all carry bags of jew gold and have gold all over their houses, this funny smelling guy at work tells me about it all the time, it is very educational
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And by "educational", you mean pathetic but somewhat entertaining?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
what

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/08/27/do-really-need-national-weather-service/

Is there any validity to that?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And by "educational", you mean pathetic but somewhat entertaining?

That was a South Park reference, a hilarious one as Kyle really did have a bag of gold around his neck that Cartman extorted from him.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I wish it was (more directly) a south park reference. Or, for that matter, that he still worked around here. He was special. Like 'oh pull up a chair and get your popcorn peter is talking about the economy again' special.

I'm also glad Irene appears to have spared NYC the worst.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
0.o Well I stand corrected.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

- posted      Profile for ScottF   Email ScottF         Edit/Delete Post 
Irene is appearing to be not quite as dramatic as the media was predicting (sadly,hoping).Not surprising in the least.

On a related note, why is it that TV news feels compelled to place reporters literally on the street,beach, dock, etc. clutching their hat/jacket. It is so we *really understand how windy it is? Sorry, I've been watching "updates" all afternoon while working and it's kinda embarrassing.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend texted me a photo of the destruction in Irene's aftermath this morning. There was a really huge puddle in their parking lot.

So it's funny, just like the tipped over lawnchair after the D.C. quake was funny, but I don't begrudge the media any of it. Natural events like this really are unpredictable and isn't it always better to err on the side of caution?

I lived in Taiwan last year, and lived through a typhoon, or rather the hype of a typhoon and then a rainy Sunday indoors. But just the year before a typhoon had hit the island and caused huge mudslides (the rubble of which still hadn't been cleaned up in some of the mountain towns I visited a year later) and killed more people than it should have. All of this because the government hadn't warned and evacuated people i these vulnerable places in time. I wasn't sorry a bit about the over-hype I lived through the year after that.

So I bite my thumb at the stupid Fox News article. It's all nice and fun to be a Libertarian until people start suffering and dying when you could have done something to prevent it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm not sure if it was really overhype. If Irene's track had kept it out to sea a bit longer, it wouldn't have lost so much strength, and still could have drilled NYC as a Cat 1 or 2.

This is one of those cases where worst=case scenarios probably are better than soft selling it. There's no exact science with guessing where a hurricane will go. They had some good guesses, and one of them was right, one of them ended up being less so. Could have gone either way.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
We weathered it okay here in Boston, although we lost one of our big oak trees. Fortunately it fell across our neighbors' yard and didn't do any real damage to either of our houses (although it did take out part of their fence). Unfortunately it snapped our power, phone and internet lines on its way down. When the kids learned there was no power they whined for five minutes about the loss of computer games, television, etc. Then they put on a shadow puppet show using flashlights, followed by lots of imaginary games with stuffed animals.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Then they put on a shadow puppet show using flashlights, followed by lots of imaginary games with stuffed animals.

[Big Grin]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Children, you should eat all your food. There's starving children in africa, forced to eat bark just to survive! And play your minecraft, there's children in boston forced to do without power or wi-fi
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It may not have been as dramatic in Manhattan, but I don't think that we should trivialize a storm that killed people and did billions of dollars of damage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/08/28/irene.vermont/index.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/205445/20110829/hurricane-irene-death-toll.htm

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
http://egotvonline.com/2011/08/25/why-you-shouldnt-swim-after-a-hurricane/
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

O_O
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost posted a picture of the branch that fell in my yard as "aftermath of Irene" yesterday, after the storm was over in the afternoon. Then at 9:30 PM, way after the weather was dry, the power went out. At first I powered my sump pumps on a generator, then the generator died (carburetor leaking gas past the float needle valve), so we pulled all our appliances (freezer, washer, dryer, dehumidifier) and dozens of plastic bins out of the basement. Eventually we had over a foot of water in the basement.

Now the aftermath of Irene is the entire contents of my basement sitting in my front and back yard drying in the sun.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Too bad the shark is photoshopped.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.