FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for a particular book...

Author Topic: Looking for a particular book...
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
In some past thread either here or in Ornery, and months ago, I got a recommendation for a science fiction book.

I no longer remember the title or the author -- but I remember that when I looked at the story summary it involved the protagonist learning an alien language and being affected in her mind (and even physical abilities) because of that language.

Does anyone remember (or can figure out) the name of the story? Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what was recommended to you, but that sounds like a short story by Ted Chiang called Story of Your Life.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't that one, but thanks anyway; the one you mentioned sounds interesting too.

[ September 04, 2011, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Aris Katsaris ]

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. Learn Martian and have better sex.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

It most definitely wasn't 'Stranger in a Strange Land' either. I've read that one.
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

Found it: Babel-17 by Samuel Delaney -- which had been suggested to me in the Ornery forum, not here.

So sorry for the trouble everyone, and thanks anyway. :-)

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EarlNMeyer-Flask:
Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. Learn Martian and have better sex.

That's the best six word summary I've heard all year!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Aris, that book sounds like one I'd like to read! I'm glad you figured out what it was because now I'm in search for it as well.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.