FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Russian plane crash kills entire professional hockey team

Author Topic: Russian plane crash kills entire professional hockey team
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
43 believed dead

It's a KHL team, which is the Russian version of the NHL, but the team includes a lot of former NHL talent. It's believed that Stefan Liiv, who was the goalie for the gold medal winning Swedish olympic team a few years ago, was on board, as well as the coach Brad McCrimmon, and Defenseman Ruslan Salei, all of whom were with the Detroit Red Wings last year, which only makes this extra sad for me personally. There were a number of other players on the team as well with ties to various NHL teams.

Pretty much the entire team is gone. It's incredible that things like this still happen, perhaps as outrageous as it is depressing. There was no bad weather, which suggests pilot error or mechanical error.

It's a sad day for hockey. [Frown]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just awful. It sounds kind of like the Busby Babes - a group of young Manchester United players, a lot of whom died in a plane crash in the late fifties.

They've never been forgotten, and I doubt these players will be either.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me think of Marshall University's football team in 1970.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wordman
Member # 1307

- posted      Profile for wordman           Edit/Delete Post 
Today, the sole-surviving team member died from his injuries.

Losing a hockey team in Russia is like the U.S. losing an NFL team: a major sport with a large following. Then imagine losing the Patriots, Packers or Steelers. That's the kind of blow Russian sports is currently enduring.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.