FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I hate the rolly eye emoticon.

Author Topic: Why I hate the rolly eye emoticon.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] I don't have to say how much contempt I have for what you just said, or give reasons why I think it is wrong, I can just put this little icon up and everyone knows instantly that I think you are talking out of your ass. [Roll Eyes]

This after all a discussion board, and this --> [Roll Eyes] doesn't encourage discussion, it just shows disdain and condemnation.

I hate rolly eyes.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
So...tempted...must...resist...temptation... ;-)
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
that smilie is a bit of a jerk.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
If it didn't exist what emoticon would you use to sum up your total opinion of my posts....?
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i am [Roll Eyes] in this [Roll Eyes] quality thread
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Always count on Samp to come through for you.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
If it didn't exist what emoticon would you use to sum up your total opinion of my posts....?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4bgD11NIbA9ZivW42B-IMSbroTdU3Dhx42CZa6G24dZEw8B4a
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Ornery forum, what never fails to piss me off is when someone includes the "forehead-slapping" icon in his reply to me.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery has face palm?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah this: http://www.ornery.org/ubb/graemlins/doh.gif
Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone gives you this [Roll Eyes]

you can respond with this [Confused] they may feel guilty?

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
[Roll Eyes] I don't have to say how much contempt I have for what you just said, or give reasons why I think it is wrong, I can just put this little icon up and everyone knows instantly that I think you are talking out of your ass. [Roll Eyes]

This after all a discussion board, and this --> [Roll Eyes] doesn't encourage discussion, it just shows disdain and condemnation.

I hate rolly eyes.

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hilarious, how ever did you come up with that gut-bustingly witty comment Geraine? I mean seriously, you must have a staff of writers to come up with a gem like that, you take my breath away! [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the originality and cleverness, I'm assuming he rented out the writing staff at the Tonight Show.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hilarious, how ever did you come up with that gut-bustingly witty comment Geraine? I mean seriously, you must have a staff of writers to come up with a gem like that, you take my breath away!

You're right, that is MUCH more conducive to discussion, and not NEARLY as disdainful!

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(I actually kinda hate the rolly eye emoticon. I sometimes see people use it on people I genuinely think are being silly, but I never think it improves the quality of the conversations, and the few times I've had it used on me I wanted to punch someone through the internet)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Great job editing out my winky emoticon rivka!
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the winky emoticon. I can show contempt for what you just said, give reasons for why I think it is wrong, but then I can just put this little icon up and everyone instantly knows it's a joke and that any response is unnecessary since I already showed I was kidding. [Wink]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It's like the "I'm just saying!" of the emoticon world
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Great job editing out my winky emoticon rivka!

I was commenting on your words, not the alternate emoticon you used.

I note that you have no response to my actual point.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

There should be a *yeah but still* emoticons on hatrack. It would cut conversations by 80%.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I note that you have no response to my actual point.

Had you a decent point, I might have commented. As it is, your "point" is nitpicky and not applicable as the "comment" that I was responding to hardly counts as discussion AND my (sarcastically humorous) comment helped generate further comments (such as your own), where as if I had simply put up a rolleye emoticon, we would not be having this discussion right now.

I know rolleyes is your fave, as you use it all the time, but your contempt for the people here just makes me think less of you, and what you have to say. Feel free to keep using it, as I doubt my opinion matters much to you at all. [Smile]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

you're weird
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by millernumber1:
So...tempted...must...resist...temptation... ;-)

We should start a support group.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

There should be a *yeah but still* emoticons on hatrack. It would cut conversations by 80%.
Screenshot from this?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just [Laugh] [Roll Eyes] right back at 'em. Better'n gettin' all [Mad] , and more effective than [No No] . Then again, there's the
quote:
quote:
[Roll Eyes]
[Kiss]
sequence. Eyerollers are terrified of catchin' cooties.

[ September 18, 2011, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
your contempt for the people here

It's not all the people here. Most days it's not even most.

And this is just hilarious, given the context:
quote:
Had you a decent point, I might have commented.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Screenshot from this?
No.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

[Wave] rivka, let's not [Mad] [Mad] , let's [Smile] and [Kiss] , [Cool] !
rivka
Member # 4859

Who's [Mad] ?

[Confused]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

[Dont Know] [Monkeys] [Hat]
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is so awkward.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
This thread is so awkward.

No it isn't.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep]
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the eye rolly emoticon essential.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.