FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are the best love songs and why? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are the best love songs and why?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Senojretep: Have you heard the cover of I Remember You by The Ataris?
Certainly not better than the original, but it feels a bit like high school, where everything was so frantic and new.

-----

As for The Ataris own original songs, Summer Wind Was Always Our Song just felt so earnest and captures the need love puts into us when the person might be taken away.

Valentine, by The Get Up Kids was the first song I ever listened to that was not something from my parent's CD collection. So it probably means more for me than it would normally, but it's still a very sweet song.

I'm trying to work off of what's already been said, and there's just so many great songs there.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some unlikely ones that are nevertheless quite lovely. Even if you're not into this type of music, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Particularly by this one: Shakira's Obtener un Sí is a lot less Latin pop than it is cute retro soft jazz. (Here are the lyrics in English)

Her Sale el Sol is a little more of a standard pop song but I like it because the lyrics are a lot more ambiguous than the typical love song. It could be a relationship that has survived some rocky parts, or it could be the triumph of hope and spirit after a relationship has ended. I like things that work in more than one context. Here is a translation of the lyrics.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Annie's Song by John Denver. I'm not much of a John Denver fan, but this song is, to me, the quintessential love song.
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I agree! [Wink]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll Be by Edwin McCain
You and Me by Lifehouse
Unintended by Muse
Where Was I by The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
I love this version of "Sara" performed by Daryl Hall and Monte Montgomery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJ97zH2Y30

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
That one song from Watchmen.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Originally posted by Zotto!:
How could I forget the Braveheart song! The wedding by the river.

The Book of Love is also perfect in every way.

OK, funny story. I was watching a movie at the gym the other day (yes, I am that white) and it was the US version of Shall We Dance, which I had never seen. I love the Japanese version and I just didn't think the story would work with American culture, but I am sorry to report that I was wrong and that the movie is actually quite lovely. And I even prefer the ending to the one in the original, if I may be so heretical to say so.

And the ending is accompanied by Peter Gabriel's lovely rendition of The Book of Love and it was just plain great.

And then I remembered that someone on this thread had recommended that song, so I looked it up and fell in love with it an its three chords.

And then today my day was no-good, horrible, terrible and very bad, and I was grumpy, so after I finally finished all of my school nonsense I locked myself in my room and recorded a version of the song on Garageband. It's super simplistic, I'm not even a very good guitar player or singer, and I'm not going to start looking for record deals, but I am very proud of the fact that I arranged and mixed an entire song on my own and I have my lovely Jatraq pals to thank for that. So here you go - The Book of Love, Annie style.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, That was wonderful. You have a great voice.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised God Only Knows by The Beach Boys isn't on this thread. Generally it makes all the critics lists for top love songs, and I'm, extremely partial to it.

here's a linky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMyS78o5YI

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome, Annie. You have a lovely voice. Great arrangement. Get grumpy more often.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually really like the American Shall We Dance. I haven't seen it in ages, but it was decent.

The last Richard Gere movie I saw was Hachi, a movie almost designed to make a dog lover bawl their eyes out. Then again, the real life story it's based on is enough to make anyone want to cry profusely. That poor dog.

Sigh.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's not so much a love song, but it's a lovely song: Here's my very talented sister's rendition of Ring of Fire.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Annie. I bought the soundtrack after watching that movie.

Speaking of Peter Gabriel, I don't think anyone has mentioned In Your Eyes. I loved that song long before I became aware of its association with John Cusack and a boombox.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
"Ring of Fire" is so a love song! (Nice performance.)

"God Only Knows" is fantastic.

As someone who has suffered from a few long, sad, unrequited obsessions, Cat Stevens's "How Can I Tell You?" has always spoken to me.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
That one song from Watchmen.

Koyaanisqatsi?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure if I tried to play Koyaanisqatsi for a woman I was trying to romance she'd be frantically calling the police.

That's like saying Tuvan Throat Singing is a romantic form of music.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
A love song doesn't have to be about loving another person. A guy can love himself, or more specifically a certain part of his anatomy.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that if you tried to pronounce Koyaanisqatsi your date would have the right to run away regardless of attempted romancing.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
A love song doesn't have to be about loving another person. A guy can love himself, or more specifically a certain part of his anatomy.

That link was surprisingly safe for work.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alasdefuego
Member # 12463

- posted      Profile for alasdefuego   Email alasdefuego         Edit/Delete Post 
Eres Tu is one of my favorite love songs. I am sorry I could not find a good translation from the Spanish language but I hope you'll listen to it anyways. As an overview, the lyrics try to express what the person you love means to you.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by alasdefuego:
Eres Tu is one of my favorite love songs.

I'm having flashbacks to HS Spanish (that song is one of the ones my teacher liked to play on Fridays).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, lyrics with a semi-decent translation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:

That link was surprisingly safe for work.
That's exactly what I thought it would be. Though second place to the cheeseburger song...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently been working on compiling into a single playlist all of my most favorite love songs from my entire life. There are currently over 250 songs in the group. There are plenty of love songs that I like well enough but didn't make the cut--these are only the best of the best for me. Listening to it is quite a powerful experience. [Smile]

BTW, for good love songs, Train, Maroon 5 and Coldplay have some pretty good ones.

Also, one of my most favorite love songs of all time is "It's All About Soul" by Billy Joel.

If I ever get around to typing out all the titles, I'd be willing to share. That would be pretty time consuming, though.

Thanks for pointing me to "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds Five, I think it is one I will be including. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Alright here are some samples.

Some atypical love songs:

When You Dream

Race You to the Top of the Morning

Fix You

I'm About to Come Alive

Gold in them Hills

A bit more typical:

Soul Sister

The Man With the Child in His Eyes

The Scientist

Sexy!:

Never Going to Leave this Bed

Stutter

Breakfast in Bed

Clever:

Contrecoup (no good youtube of the original)

Heartbreakingly beautiful:

Marry Me

I Will

It Can't Rain All the Time

When We Dance

And the most beautiful stalker song I've ever heard:

Stars

Here's one I love you may not have heard:

Shower Your Love on Me

And I'll always have a soft place in my heart for:

You Needed Me

[ December 10, 2011, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's one I love you may not have heard:

Shower Your Love on Me

I started swatting imaginary mosquito's because of the beginning of that song.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Hehe. [Smile] Never listened to any traditional Indian music?
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
The Luckiest by Ben Folds

This. Hardcore Folds fans seem to distance themselves from this one and "Brick" because they think they're too commercial, but I think the lyrics in both are absolutely incredible. The third verse of "The Luckiest" literally had me tearing up the first time I heard it, and I don't exactly do that very often.

"She's Got a Way," "Love Song," and "Everything I Do (I Do it for You)" are standouts, too, as are many of those already mentioned.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Annie, your voice is beautiful!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
tradition Indian music
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Valentine, by The Get Up Kids was the first song I ever listened to that was not something from my parent's CD collection. So it probably means more for me than it would normally, but it's still a very sweet song.

Missed this before. Yeah, I love "Valentine" - pretty much everything by The Get Up Kids. "I'll Catch You" is great as well.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a little to heavy for a first date, but PDA is foolproof. In fact, as far as date night music goes, that whole album is unbeatable.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCranialMass
Member # 12700

- posted      Profile for TheCranialMass           Edit/Delete Post 
First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes

The Girl - City and Colour

Joshua Radin has several, but this one is my favorite. It's not necessarily a love song (and the video is the farthest from love you can get), but I will forever connect this song to my fiancee and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have two favorite love songs (both in French).
One is the song of mutual and happy love, it was written and sung by Claude Nougaro a few years before his death.
L'île Hélène : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-R912s4T28
The other is the song of love lost, words by Brice Homs, music by Michel Fugain who sings it.
Chaque jour de plus : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY4wesqIhj4
I think I love them so much because the music sounds simple, the words are beautiful, and both those songs and those singers show restraint when they could show strength. After all, Chaque jour de plus tells the same story than Ne me quitte pas, only where Brel is tearing his guts out Fugain stays a little behind, which is, in a way, a lot more heart wrenching. (Note that I do like Brel, he's great in his own way.)

[ December 12, 2011, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeAlvord
Member # 12665

- posted      Profile for JoeAlvord           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Last Thing On My Mind" by Tom Paxton for a melancholy love song. It amazes me that he was only 18 when he wrote it.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sondre Lerche has some jems, several of which are on Duper Sessions : (I Wanna) Call It Love, You Sure Look Swell, etc.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville "I Don't Know Much". and "All My Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE5hLOSEB3Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVrwFbHyeA&feature=related

Shirley Jones and Gordon McCrae with "People Will Say We're In Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwVAV3VPw4

Shirley Jones and Pat Boone with "April Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEAd3Ys876E&feature=related

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
True Companion by Marc Cohn because... well, because it just is.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
In The Dark With You by Greg Brown. It's a really sweet, simple song, been a favorite of mine for years now.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
Songbird by Fleetwood Mac.

And definitely Landslide by, again, Fleetwood Mac. While not strictly a love song, it is in my opinion, one of the best songs ever recorded

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Sherry Fraser by Marcy Playground

Excellently crafted melody with innovative lyrics. :-)

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.