FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Al-Jazeera : close ties with the US

Author Topic: Al-Jazeera : close ties with the US
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh.

Over the last few years, I've been consistently been impressed with Al-Jazeera news, being relatively impartial on news in Asia and serving as a good counterpoint to the American media. I've found they often report on and cover news that might be embarrassing to the US far in advance of other news outlets being embarrassed into covering it (or in the case of China, covering embarrassing news before it becomes interesting for North Americans [Wink] ).

They've performed an outstanding role in covering the Arab Spring and a pivotal role in the first two WikiLeaks releases.

I have been kinda curious that their coverage of the last WikiLeaks release was kinda sparse and I guess we now know why after the full release.
quote:
The Al-Jazeera satellite TV channel has announced Tuesday that its director has stepped down after serving the network for eight years.

Wadah Khanfar's resignation follows release of documents by Wikileaks, purporting to show he had close ties with the U.S. and agreed to remove some content in response to American objections.

The leaked 2010 U.S. diplomatic cable indicated that Khanfar was in constant contact with the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, responding to U.S. complaints of negative coverage and promising to tone down items on the station's website.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/09/20/world/middleeast/AP-ML-Qatar-Al-Jazeera.html?_r=3&ref=world

I've been going on the quick assumption that the truth lay somewhere between the biased pro-US Western media and the biased pro-Muslim Al-Jazeera. The actual truth being much worse than even what Al-Jazeera shows is a significant re-calibration, IMO anyways.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The description of the pieces not allowed to air doesn't seem to be anything we didn't already know was happening, e.g. babies and women being injured in the cross fire, or by accident.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that we're being told the whole story.

There is only a description of one change (with references to but no details of the others) and an acknowledgement that they can't afford to have the full details of their agreement on paper (just in case of a leak like this).

The other issue is that emphasis and tone matters. The US has spent a lot of money since Vietnam on managing the media from embedding journalists to controlling/banning pictures of coffins returning home. There's a difference between knowing something in abstract and being presented with the full gruesome details.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This is disappointing.

I often read Al-Jazeera English for my international news fix, and sometimes even for an outside perspective on American news. One of the things I've always liked about them is their outside point of view. I wouldn't call it objective, there's no such thing, but certainly it's excellent to hear great reporting from outside the echo chamber here in America.

Here's hoping they raise their standards again.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.