FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game movie announces casting calls (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ender's Game movie announces casting calls
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't James Marsters play Braniac in Smallville? Yeah, I could see him as an adult Ender I suppose.

This makes me think though. Ender's Game has that little twist at the end where Ender finds the Hive Queen Egg. I hope they include this in the movie, especially if they want to make a sequel if the movie does well.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You're fired.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding The Wire, if I recall correctly there were foreshadowings in the opening credit sequences each season, but they were very, very slight and not easy to decode.

I quit watching Lost after season 3, I think. At the time I intended to pick it back up, but later I concluded that they had been promising more than they could deliver.

I wish there was more TV like The Wire. I also wish I could experience a more poignant form of nostalgia.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
You're fired.

Oh come on I know he was on Buffy as well.

It isn't like I said "Hey, he was Piccolo in Dragonball Evolutions!" [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
James Marsters is a TV show kind of actor (smallville, buffy, etc). I have never seen him adequately portray a big screen character in a film that didn't totally suck (I have only seen Dragonball, to be fair). If they made an HBO series out of the sequels, then I could see him being in it, but I don't know about him being Ender. He's just never been a leading man kind of guy, which is why I think he's completely fine with always being a villain. That's his niche, and he does well in it.

But anyway, I have to wonder if they'd even bother going the TV series route at all without exploring sequels to the film. OSC has that midquel that he wrote, Ender in Exile. And while it's not really as good as any of the other books, it's decent enough to use as a template for a second film. Hell, you could even make a TV show just about Ender traveling around the galaxy from planet to planet, having adventures. That might even be more reasonable than a Speaker show, and possibly more entertaining. Personally, I'd love to know what all he did in between Exile and Speaker, since he and Val travel to dozens of other worlds. Think of all the trouble those two rascals could get in [Razz]

Just a thought, of course.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Scott Wolfe should play young Ender.

He still looks like he's ten. I don't think he's aged since White Squall.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Regarding The Wire, if I recall correctly there were foreshadowings in the opening credit sequences each season, but they were very, very slight and not easy to decode.

Sure, but that wasn't as much a function of the writing as the editing- more of a rewatch bonus. The dialogue and editing of the show proper pretty much never telegraphed any foreshadowing- foreshadowed moments were never lingered upon or emphasized in any special way. The camera had a very laid-back, unblinking, almost disinterested view of the world it was viewing.

:::spoilers:::

For instance, the fact that Canard will eventually be the killer of Omar is foreshadowed in a very very subtle way two season earlier, when he is seen imitating Omar in the street- but that was one shot, one time, and it wasn't emphasized at all. Or the fact that Deputy Commissioner Rawls is gay- many viewers never even realize it, because you can interpret virtually all of his homoerotic banter as machismo, unless you remember seeing him in the background at a gay bar of a single scene in the 3rd season, which is never referred to or repeated.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersbooch
Member # 12630

- posted      Profile for endersbooch           Edit/Delete Post 
i just don't get how a movie is going to display all the thinking ender did - from reading the book -
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It... what? It won't.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by endersbooch:
i just don't get how a movie is going to display all the thinking ender did - from reading the book -

Subtitles.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

That could work...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My first answer was thought bubbles. But then I thought, nah, that's silly.

Actually, that does sound like kind of an interesting idea for a movie (though I'm sure it would get sucked into being a comedy, which is fine).

What if you had a movie where either one or many character's thoughts were constantly shared with the audience via a ticker at the bottom of the screen. I think it could really open up some interesting storytelling.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club pulled off internal monologue beautifully. But I don't think that would work for kids as well.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Look, it's okay, we'll just get the guy who narrated The Wonder Years.
Geraine
Member # 9913

Have him write in a little journal with an inner monologue.

Jane Lynch does it all the time in Glee. It coudl work.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Meh. "dear diary" is milquetoast.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by endersbooch:

Subtitles.
I actually like that idea. Though it would be parodied mercilessly.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Also it wouldn't go over very well with OSC's rants about Bill Clinton and JFK scrolling the bottom of the screen during establishing shots.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also it wouldn't go over very well with OSC's rants about Bill Clinton and JFK scrolling the bottom of the screen during establishing shots.

I'm too busy laughing to come up with a good "subtext" pun.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Look, it's okay, we'll just get the guy who narrated The Wonder Years.

Better idea: Get Richard Dreyfuss on the phone NOW!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Seems like there would be a better way than having him just phone it in.

Oh!!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.