FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "This was not an act of censorship [but of] respect for our shared community."

Author Topic: "This was not an act of censorship [but of] respect for our shared community."
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly poster gets professor in hot water. For those who don't want to follow a link to HuffPo (and I wouldn't blame you...wait, here's Reason's take for those of a different aesthetic bent) the upshot is a theater Professor at UW-Stout posted a picture showing Mal with the following quote from the pilot episode of Firefly: "You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed."

Campus police took down the poster, explaining it constituted a threat of violence. In response, the professor posted a new picture, this time labeled "Warning Fascism: Fascism can cause blunt trauma and/or violent death. Keep fascism away from children and pets" along with a cartoon depiction of an individual being beaten by a policeman in riot gear. The police took this down as well, explaining it constituted a further threat of violence against the community and set up a disciplinary hearing for the professor with the university administration.

The resulting media focus has caused the administration to cancel the meeting, although the University President continues to assert that the police's actions were justified and not a violation of the Professor's 1st amendment rights. The quote in the thread title is an abridgment of the President's statement on the issue:
quote:
This was not an act of censorship. This was an act of sensitivity to and care for our shared community, and was intended to maintain a campus climate in which everyone can feel welcome, safe and secure.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The professor's an idiot, too, though; he doesn't have any First Amendment right to hang posters in his office.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Proving once again the potency of the Brown Coat community, just about the only thing we can't do is the get show back in production.

But just me personally, I like that quote just fine but it certainly is not my first choice to put on the wall. A picture of Kaylee wearing her silly dress and the quote "Girl was crying Cinderella tears. Shoulda seen her, when I said she could have that layer cake she's wearin'" would be my preference.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The professor's an idiot, too, though; he doesn't have any First Amendment right to hang posters in his office.

I agree. But in the battle of these two idiots, I think the stupidity award here must go to the woman who thought removing a "boo fascism" was ever going to lead to anything good. I mean, that's media gold right there.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the woman is just some low level flunky and it's not hard to imagine that with emotions running high in some tit-for-tat that this kind of thing can occur.

I think the real failure is that the leadership "Chancellor Sorensen, Provost Julie Furst-Bowe and Vice Chancellor Ed Nieskes" sat down, had ample time to think about it, and with all their training and distance from the professor decided that it would be a good idea to contribute, well, to the media gold.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was the initial threat of violence to, exactly? The far-flung ancestors of future Alliance doctors?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A dangerously unprotected minority.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Well, the woman is just some low level flunky and it's not hard to imagine that with emotions running high in some tit-for-tat that this kind of thing can occur.

Low level flunky? She's the Campus Chief of Police! I mean, I guess that does just put her one step above Meter Maid, but she's got "chief" right there in her job title.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Didn't notice that.
Ok, thats sad.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Indeed!
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Is it the professor who's making the first amendment argument, or is it just the university president?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
At least one of the articles I read indicated the University did it after consulting with their legal department about the possible outcome of hostile environment lawsuits. The idea being that students might feel threatened by the poster, and could bring suit against the University as a result. Which is a real concern for a University, I guess. You don't want the cost and the bad press of students saying they felt threatened by their professors.

Yet another reason to bemoan the increasing litigiousness of American society.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

In his first email to the Campus Chief of Police, professor Miller said

quote:

Unacceptable to whom?

How dare you act in a fascistic manner and then sign your email “respectfully!” Respect liberty and respect my first amendment rights.

He didn't so much make the first amendment "argument" as he referenced it to defend his right to express himself.

Whether it's an example of covered speech or not, this is a pretty common thing to do.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

Is it the professor who's making the first amendment argument, or is it just the university president?
The professor (Miller) first raised the issue of first amendment rights in an email with the police chief.

<edit>My readings of that short email chain make me considerably more sympathetic to the police and less to the professor. The Chief seems to have interacted politely and professionally, while the Professor is belligerent and superficial in his criticism. Not that that affects the rightness or wrongness of the individuals' actions, but I can tell you whom I'd rather have a conversation with.</edit>

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Oh man I'm such a ninja.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Oh man I'm such a ninja.

I'm pretty sure ninjas don't actively try to bring attention to their surreptitious actions. [Wink]
Mucus
Member # 9735

It's kind of funny what junk you can dig up on the Internet. You can find the police chief's Facebook, their LinkedIn, their phone numbers in that linked set of emails.

You can even find the prof's ratemyprof profile including this gem
quote:
Possibly the worst teacher i have ever had. He is very similar to Hitler due to the fact that he chooses the topics for speeches for you, and expects you to be a state champion speaker. he is horrible do not take him, I regret taking his class.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1032741

I hated when Hitler did that.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Oh man I'm such a ninja.

I'm pretty sure ninjas don't actively try to bring attention to their surreptitious actions. [Wink]
Then what is the point of being a ninja?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
To flip out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

It's true. That's what ninjas do!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.