FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NANOWRIMO 2011

Author Topic: NANOWRIMO 2011
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with me?

Last year, after a September where I moved house three times in a month and an October where I ended up seriously ill in hospital, I wrote about 2,000 words and gave up.

But this year things will be different! Success is in the air and I actually have a plot that makes me smile. I'm still not sure about 50,000 - but 25,000 at least should be possible. It's an epic romance with superheros.

Who else is doing NANO this year?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Every year I start. And every year I get too busy and have to quit. So, we'll see.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
What is it?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother reminded me it was coming up yesterday. I'd forgotten about it and haven't tried in the past two years because I didn't have time for it.

This year I might go for it, especially if he's in.

To Jeff -> It's National Novel Writing Month. In short, your goal is to write a novel start to finish within 30 days that is at least 50,000 words. Here's the link.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
What is it?

A quick recipe for changing your life.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The local effect of nanowrimo is unchanged for me. A half a month of my friends establishing grand nanowrimo plans, followed by swiftly vanishing writing schedules, followed by depression.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
What is a first novel's general word length, anyway?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
The local effect of nanowrimo is unchanged for me. A half a month of my friends establishing grand nanowrimo plans, followed by swiftly vanishing writing schedules, followed by depression.

That's sad. My partner does NaNoWriMo every year and has a blast. I tried it once and found the style of writing I needed to adopt to "succeed" wasn't really for me, but it seems like it works for a lot of people.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
I do want to try this out some time (though I have no illusions that I'll come up with a good work in that time; in order for me to keep writing at that pace, I'll have to be fine with typing up a lot of crap and being random and not going back to revise anything), cause it does sound like fun and at the end maybe I'll have created some salvageable parts and ideas to use in more serious projects, but I know there's no way I can realistically do this right now. My sister-in-law actually did it successfully, but (I have not read it) I think it was supposed to be very random and all over the place.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've produced a handful of writings that were meaningful to me personally. I'm not sure if I will do it this year. Last year I finished the book I was writing in about 15,000 words. Year before that I'd just come off of writing a book or sorts so I didn't do Nanowrimo. 2008 I finished, and 2004 I finished. I got to about 30k in 2006 and had some kind of motivational crisis.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrmm...

Every year I learn about NaNoWriMo after the fact and think "huh, I should do that next year."

This year, NaNoWriMo ties in nicely with my 2011 theme of "return to skills that I've been neglecting and spend a month or so leveling up in them without getting too attached to a particular project."

However, I had JUST been preparing to hunker down and return to my game design project for the winter, and I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to put that off again for November, even though the solidarity for NaNoWriMo might be helpful.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering doing it. I've only finished once, in 2007, out of about 4 tries. It is very difficult and does not get easier even when you're north of 30k words. However, I have a rough draft of a novel about done and am planning to use nanowrimo to get started on the 1st solid draft. I also have a local friend who's planning on doing it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Nanowrimo: the concert of depression following the concert of conceited broadcast. Well, in the past. We are getting better.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, do not try anything so audacious and crazy. You might fail. [Razz]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm creating my own personal NANO plan for the month. Instead of writing a novel, I'm going to try to write a collection of creative non-fiction stories and essays. So it's NACRENONFICWRIMO for me.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I decided to spice up the challenge by both of us working from the same basic structure. We have characters and an attribute to each (Amanda is a kleptomaniac, Francois knows he will die soon, etc.) a McGuffin (The <blank> of Tranquility) and a line we must both incorporate into the story. We have no requirements on genre, location, plot, etc.

Even if we don't make it to 50k, the more fun thing is to see how both of us work with the limitations.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have signed up again, but am so not ready. [Angst] The book I was planning required at least a bit of historical accuracy. Then I had this weird dream this morning that gave me an idea for another book ...

I know better than to watch certain shows late at night - in this case, the first episode of "Being Human" (UK version) - that give me weird dreams.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the first episode of "Being Human" (UK version) - that give me weird dreams.
I watched the first episode of 'The Fades' (which is a bit similar), before bed the other week and had about ten nightmares!

Only a few hours left. [Angst] I'm still trying to decide who my big bad will be - I think I'll just make that up as I go along, and I'm making playlists. Thank goodness there's a bank holiday here tomorrow. I think I'll try to write as much as I can while I still want to!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll join in this year too. I haven't made a film since June... I feel the need to create something, welling from my gullet.

Perhaps the science fiction one I've been hoping to do. Set in space, hard-ish science, etc. Or else the fantasy novel set in a world with nearly Revolutionary War level tech... and just a dash of magic, here and there. Or maybe the one set in a world a hundred years after the zombie apocalypse, where small farming communities, herders and nomads are the new social structures, and items like guns are rare, fabled things that only the heroes of the past possessed.

Keep on mind thOse are just settings, not the plots.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I participated in 2004 and 2010 and finished both times.

I'm going for it again this year - username is anniemo. Add me as a buddy if you like! I like having people to compare word counts with - it shames me into writing [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to do nano again, but I think my hubby would kill me. We have been frantic lately, always busy and exhausted so adding one more thing seems like too much. But a part of me really wants to try.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in again! I have an outline, and a pile of characters that have been developing for a year, so I'm ready this time. I also have a bunch of RL friends to pester me about whether I've written anything yet.
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.