Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LaTeX

Author Topic: LaTeX
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just started using LaTeX and wanted to sing its praises. My papers have never looked so beautiful! And now that I'm getting used to it, many functions are easier and quicker to perform than on Word (e.g., block quotes). I have complete control over everything I want to do.

I don't know any programming languages, so this is a completely new experience for me. Is this how power feels? [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
mike #55 (I think that's his number) used to do his math homework in college in LaTeX and I always thought it looked lovely.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used LaTeX exclusively for paper writing over the past several years. The layout is generally great, and mathematical equations look wonderful. My only gripe is the lack of easy flexibility in figure layout.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to its utility, Tex also helps one be taken seriously: http://experimentalmath.info/blog/2011/06/quick-tests-for-checking-whether-a-new-math-result-is-plausible/
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
I've used LaTeX exclusively for paper writing over the past several years. The layout is generally great, and mathematical equations look wonderful. My only gripe is the lack of easy flexibility in figure layout.

Well then, get thee to the keyboard and write an extension! LaTeX is Turing-complete, you know; there's no excuse for griping when you could be coding something that will benefit everyone.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I edit a lot of raw LaTeX, and its utility is broad and impressive. I don't really need to use it for my own work, but I entirely support people using it.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My statistics professor required us to type up our homework sets, and gave a seminar one afternoon after class on using LaTeX. Everyone else in the class, for some unfathomable reason stuck with Microsoft Equation Editor in Word and probably died a thousand tiny deaths in the process.

By the end of the semester I was quick enough on the coding that I could take class notes in LaTeX and I haven't looked back since for anything math-y.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.