FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey

Author Topic: R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news. Apparently she died yesterday after suffering a stroke.

I really enjoyed her Pern series (and many other series either written or co-authored by her). Her son Todd has been co-writing and writing books in the series, so maybe they will continue.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
She will be missed.
[Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
... I actually teared up. I read The Harper Hall trilogy even before I read Ender's Game, I guess there can be some optimism shown for the fact that she not only had a successful career and loving fan base but also got to even write with her own son. I regret the loss to her loved ones but may we all be so fortunate to live well, as this artist has.

She will be missed.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This saddens me. [Frown] I have so many fond memories of books she has written. She always seemed a very gracious lady as well.

My thoughts and prayers with her family. It is probably of no solace to them now, but perhaps one day they will find some comfort in the fact that their loved one was beloved across the world for her work.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Statement from Todd McCaffrey (on Facebook)

It's always sad when a favorite author passes away - we wonder about the stories they never got a chance to tell.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catness
Member # 12681

- posted      Profile for Catness   Email Catness         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a fan of her work for many years, and I wanted to say what a comfort it is to read these posts from people who share my feelings. Thank you.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This is sad. I used to read her a lot when I was a teenager.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I remember my mom reading Dragonsong, the first of the Harper's Hall series, to me when it came out in '76. I pretty much fell in love with Pern then, and there was a point, when I was an early teenager, when I'd read every novel she'd published up to that point. I lost interest in her work as I got older, but that doesn't change the fact that she had a huge impact on me early in my life as a reader.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sad. I love the Pern series and it is on the lists of books that I plan to pass on to my future children.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are very few books of mine that both of my older kids enjoy. The Pern books are among those few.

And my mom passed them along to me (not the actual books, since her old Pern paperbacks have all fallen apart from being read so much, so we have three generations of Pern fans in my family.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have whacked him if he'd said it in person, but my brother made the comment that if the series was unfinished they could just call in Brandon Sanderson.

She will be missed.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad day. [Frown]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:
I would have whacked him if he'd said it in person, but my brother made the comment that if the series was unfinished they could just call in Brandon Sanderson.

Better him than the dynamic duo that is Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:

Better him than the dynamic duo that is Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.
Heh.

Don't get me wrong, I love Brandon Sanderson's stuff and what he's done with the last few books of WoT, but it was a little insensitive of my brother, that being his first comment after hearing the news. [No No]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news indeed.

Thanks CaySedai for posting as I woudl have otherwise missed this.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.