FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game film, teaser image

Author Topic: Ender's Game film, teaser image
T3RP
Member # 12684

- posted      Profile for T3RP           Edit/Delete Post 
while i have much trepidation re: the film, as, like many, i have specific visions of how things look in my mind's eye, I can't help but be a bit excited. I created this piece after hearing about asa b's offer: http://www.miketerpstra.com/digital/ender.jpg. thought it might resonate with some people here...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
404 not found
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a period chilling at the end of the URL. Fixed:

http://www.miketerpstra.com/digital/ender.jpg

Not much of a teaser image. This is fan-art, right?

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely fan-art, but it looks like he works on real films.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T3RP
Member # 12684

yep, this is fan-art. a teaser of what Butterfield might look like in an Ender-like setting, if you will. DIgital Domain is the VFX co. involved on the film...not sure at what stage they're at...concept/pre-production...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender looks like I have taken his lunch money, or maybe he's just been blinded by overuse of the levels tool?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T3RP
Member # 12684

he has no eyelids in the script. [Wink]
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
wow... that was worse than I anticipated.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
That picture made me feel incredibly awkward.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
That was..Horrible. Showing Ender tearing up like a little wuss boy? Come on. I want the cold, calculating kid who doesn't take crap from anyone. It would have been better if someone had just taken Vin Diesel or Chuck Norris head and stuck it on the kid's shoulders. It would be more believeable.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you guys missing the fact that T3RP created the fan image? That the guy who posted the link also created what you are now ridiculing?

Seems considerably less tactful than is expected around here.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not going to begrudge the creative enterprise, but the levels and the jaggedness of the color contrast are nuts; the picture of "ender" appears also woefully unsuited for a teaser image' — selected just because that was what was available, I guess?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
That was..Horrible. Showing Ender tearing up like a little wuss boy? Come on. I want the cold, calculating kid who doesn't take crap from anyone. It would have been better if someone had just taken Vin Diesel or Chuck Norris head and stuck it on the kid's shoulders. It would be more believeable.

Umm... Ender does tear up like a "little wuss boy."

Just sayin'.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T3RP
Member # 12684

Glad to see some people have opinions. [Wink] Any artistic piece is pretty subjective. This one does have some cranked curves, no doubt. The photo reference of Asa with tears was chosen to reflect Ender's thoughts near the end of the novel, and i'm paraphrasing from what I remember; in getting to know the buggers well enough to wipe out their race, he came to realize he loved them on some level, and grieved for them.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, T3RP, I got what you were trying to convey. I'm not crazy about the composition (looks a little overblown to me), but it seemed obvious that it was a representation of the exploding bugger homeworld and Ender's grief when he realizes that it wasn't a game and he really did wipe them all out. So you were successful in that regard, at the very least.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by T3RP:
Glad to see some people have opinions. [Wink] Any artistic piece is pretty subjective. This one does have some cranked curves, no doubt. The photo reference of Asa with tears was chosen to reflect Ender's thoughts near the end of the novel, and i'm paraphrasing from what I remember; in getting to know the buggers well enough to wipe out their race, he came to realize he loved them on some level, and grieved for them.

Ah! Ok then, it makes more sense when I look at it now.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man this topic was such a disapointment. I thought it was going to be something official [Razz]

Anyway, it's a fun image. Good job!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Well since I can't work on the real movie, I will add to the teaser poster hype with my design.

Follow the link below:

Ender's Game Teaser Poster

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Added a Mazer Teaser Poster!

Mazer Teaser Poster

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the first teaser poster of Mazer.

Wait, is Ben Kingsley really doing Mazer? Or is this just a bit of fantasizing? [Smile]

I also really like the third poster down.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, naledge. I've left a comment on one of your images with my contact information in it, regarding the possible use of your image(s) on The Philotic Web. Just thought I'd give a heads up here as well. [Smile]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
A movie still!

Link.

Very excited.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Harrison Ford that short or is the kid that tall?

[ December 06, 2012, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ford is 6'1", says IMDB.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, Asa Butterfield is 15 and 4'10".
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can even see the lights on the floor. Nice.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooooow... here is a better picture. Butterfield is wearing socks and Ford is wearing sneakers.

As usual the internet lies.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder which electronics maker got product placement for the tablets the students use. It could be a fantastic coup if the movie does very well.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the black kids wearing different outfits?
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah.

However, while all the yellow uniformed kids are black, not all the black kids are wearing yellow uniforms.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A picture that shows... kids in varying states of dress in a room with bunk beds.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Wow! A picture that shows... kids in varying states of dress in a room with bunk beds.

You can get arrested for those sorts of pictures in some places.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:

It looks like they're wearing name tags too, so I'm wondering if they're older students as opposed to the fresh launchies one assumes the rest of the group are.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The girl on the left is most definitely not older than the others. If anything I would guess that this is a scene from Salamander Army barracks and it is near lights out, though I can't remember any moment when Graff visited Ender during his time there. Dragon Army also had orange (they could have changed it to yellow) as one of its colors but Ender had his own room at that point.

E.T.A.
The bunks have grey and orange blankets. Do Battle School armies get their decor according to their three color designation?

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:

It looks like they're wearing name tags too, so I'm wondering if they're older students as opposed to the fresh launchies one assumes the rest of the group are.
I don't see any writing on the nametag. It could be a rank identifier too.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That's certainly possible. Maybe it's an indication of rank, and they're toon leaders. It also seems possible they just happened to be students still in their uniform as opposed to casual dress.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

In Dragon Army all the toon leaders were older than the rest, in the other armies little kids were usually bullied into following orders and less likely to achieve higher rank quickly. I think there is a lot of over thinking being applied to this picture.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I think it's over analyzing. They probably either just got up or it's near lights out so some kids are dressed, some aren't.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

Maybe the yellow uniforms are for toon leaders?
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Ten year old toon leaders (who are neither Ender nor Bean) standing next to sixteen year olds who because they are in no uniform at all are ranked because they wear jump suits to bed? Any rank within an army is subject to the commander alone and at their whim, I doubt Battle School cares who wears what jumper.

Like Wing said, it is either the end or start of the day and Graff must have surprised them before everyone was ready. Honestly... why would the uniform of everyone else be white scrubs? And also, it looks like the little girl is wearing a thin shoe while everyone in white is wearing socks, thus reinforcing the idea that she is dressed and they are not.

I know it is tempting to chew as much as possible on the first still that we as the repeat reading fans have been waiting a long time for but this is just too exaggerated.

katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
(whines) But they don't HAVE socks in battle school. Don't you remember Ender and Alai's first joint maneuver. Sheesh, they can't get anything right!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
You can even tell the fully dressed black girl has white on under the yellow...and you can see the other person in yellow is also wearing black shoes.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.