FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will Angela Merkel be TIME's Person of the Year?

Author Topic: Will Angela Merkel be TIME's Person of the Year?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe Mohamed Bouazizi and the protesters of the Arab Spring?
The Tea Party? The OWS/99% protesters? The 1%? Angry Protesting People (in general)? What do you think?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
If she is and he's not, Sarkozy will be in a right snit. They're currently being referred to quite widely as Merkozy, since they have merged into one being...
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they'll go with Angry Protesting People. Or maybe the seventh billion person, and tie that into the protesting via some Friedman-esque hot, flat, and crowded theory.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
They can't do the Seventh Billion Person, that will be almost as bad as the time You won it.

If there was one person who represented the Arab Spring better than Bouazizi I'd go for them. As it I'd say Merkel should get it, and whatever to Sarkozy, he's just along for the ride.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked that year that You won person of the year. I still have the issue with the mirrored cover page.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I really liked that year that You won person of the year. I still have the issue with the mirrored cover page.

You know, at the time I thought it was kind of a cop out, but as the years go by I appreciate the choice more and more.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
At the time I thought it was kind of a cop out, but .. no, still
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
At the time I thought it was kind of a cop out, but .. no, still

Samp, it's just because I become more and more worthy of the honor every day.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's out. It's The Protester, complete with a faux-Fairey color print.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2entjqo.jpg

Guaranteed to make all the conservatives who hate any validation of Occupy Wall Street pretty itchy.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I continue to wonder how TIME can keep naming groups of people for their "Person" of the Year.

Shouldn't they change the name?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I continue to wonder how TIME can keep naming groups of people for their "Person" of the Year.

Such a cheat. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, looking through the Atlantic's Year in Photos, I was struck by how many of the images were about protest. I'd say it's certainly the strongest narrative of this year.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Shouldn't they change the name?

In a certain sense it follows from the 2006 acknowledgement that collective media was superseding personality driven media in relevance.

In many ways, the leader f a revolution is just the person that manages to stay ahead of the crowd.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

good call, Jhai.
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Guaranteed to make all the conservatives who hate any validation of Occupy Wall Street pretty itchy.

Not really. I think they're referring to protesters that actually make an impact.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh snap!
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Protester: From the Arab Spring to Athens, From Occupy Wall Street to Moscow"
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
psh. Facts. So unoriginal.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.