FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vaclav Havel, Dead today at 75

Author Topic: Vaclav Havel, Dead today at 75
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally start "Death Threads," but this particular man is a deep source of inspiration for so many people, and he has touched my life in a thousand ways since I have lived in the country that he helped to build.

New York Times Obit

President Obama's Statement of Condolence

Vaclav Havel was a contrarian, and an absurdist. In many ways, it seemed the last thing he would ever be was an elder statesman. But he served 14 years as the President of the Czech Republic (and of Czechoslovakia), and was the voice and source of moral authority that led the Czechs from the most peaceful revolution in history, into unity with Europe, and back to the economic prosperity of their First Republic. He's the kind of man that history only rarely produces: the embodiment of the will of a people to be free, and to do good.

I have known many people whose lives were touched, both directly indirectly, by his lifework, freeing his people and guiding them into the modern world. Rarely is an unkind work spoken by anyone who lived in his Czech Republic. He was a man, unlike so many before, who did not rule through fear, or through the cowardice and indifference of the people, but galvanized those around him to seek real answers to the problems that they faced. This country, and all countries, could use more men like him, and I thought I would share that impression with you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
A great man has been lost, but the power of his words lives on.

quote:
I really do inhabit a system in which words are capable of shaking the entire structure of government, where words can prove mightier than ten military divisions.
quote:
The salvation of this human world lies nowhere else than in the human heart, in the human power to reflect, in human meekness and human responsibility.
quote:
The tragedy of modern man is not that he knows less and less about the meaning of his own life, but that it bothers him less and less.
quote:
Hope is a state of mind, not of the world . . . Either we have hope or we don't; it is a dimension of the soul, and it's not essentially dependent on some particular observation of the world or estimate of the situation.

Hope is not prognostication. It is an orientation of the spirit, and orientation of the heart; it transcends the world that is immediately experienced, and is anchored somewhere beyond its horizons . . .

Hope, in this deep and powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for success, but rather and ability to work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed. The more propitious the situation in which we demonstrate hope, the deeper the hope is.

Hope is definitely not the same thing as optimism. It is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Art of the Impossible is the only book I bought while in college that I kept through a cross-country move, and three or four other moves since then.

Great book.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to read more of his work. Is The Art of the Impossible a good place to start?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.