FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enders Game Movie

Author Topic: Enders Game Movie
System2448
Member # 12729

- posted      Profile for System2448   Email System2448         Edit/Delete Post 
My question is simple, but i dont know where to find the answer, or even if its been answered. Has Mr. Card read the screenplay for the movie, and if so does he approve? If Card himself does not like the way the movie is going, then im not sure id want to watch it.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that sometimes the writer is whom you least want to be involved in a movie project, as writers arent nessasarily good filmmakers/directors; additionally the author of a creative work is more inclined in any medium to be defencive over changes to his or her work; sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly and this can get in the way of making a good movie.

Uncle Orson I believe has expressed some level of dissapointment over some of the casting choices, but at least they are not Avatar level bad, and I believe he would want you to see it regardless and enjoy the movie on its own merits.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Authors have been proven wrong when it comes to movie casting before, and even been confident enough to admit it. Anne Rice had every right to be upset over the casting of Tom Cruise as Lestat, and she rightly praised him after his remarkable performance, so we can only hope the people in charge of the Ender's Game movie are as prophetic.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I believe that sometimes the writer is whom you least want to be involved in a movie project, as writers arent nessasarily good filmmakers/directors; additionally the author of a creative work is more inclined in any medium to be defencive over changes to his or her work; sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly and this can get in the way of making a good movie.

Uncle Orson I believe has expressed some level of dissapointment over some of the casting choices, but at least they are not Avatar level bad, and I believe he would want you to see it regardless and enjoy the movie on its own merits.

Excellent response, Blayne. I agree 100%.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the studio Lionsgate is gearing up to acquire Summit, which is producing the Ender's Game film. Hopefully the possible acquisition won't affect the production or budget of the Ender's Game film.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan Wert
Member # 10981

- posted      Profile for Nathan Wert   Email Nathan Wert         Edit/Delete Post 
I had read OSC's version of the screenplay...years and years ago (when Hatrack was still on AOL). I'm sure that holleywood will both piss off the die hard fans, but at the same time create a whole new fan base. Us die hards will still forgive holleywood, because we love Ender. I'm going to reserve comments until I see it though. Right now I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Xmen Origins Wolverine on FX the other night, and honestly, I don't see why people are so down on that movie...it wasn't best picture worthy or anything, but just as much fun and interesting as the first good Xmen and not nearly as bad as the second (whatever) or third (horrible) Xmen.

Especially when you consider it from a direction stand point.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I saw Xmen Origins Wolverine on FX the other night, and honestly, I don't see why people are so down on that movie...it wasn't best picture worthy or anything, but just as much fun and interesting as the first good Xmen and not nearly as bad as the second (whatever) or third (horrible) Xmen.

Especially when you consider it from a direction stand point.

I agree 100% . . . except for the fun part. And the bit about it being interesting. And I definitely don't agree with the comparison to the first movie. But, other than that, 100%.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Wolverine movie generally failed but because of things only I think X-Men fans would care about. Like how they ruined Deadpool.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Has everyone seen the announcement on the front page about the Open Casting Call in New Orleans, February 2nd? For ages 10-17. Battle School kids.

So who of you have kids you want to try out for a role in Battle School?

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the Wolverine movie generally failed but because of things only I think X-Men fans would care about. Like how they ruined Deadpool.

This.

There were plenty of other problems as well, but it was more the script than anything. The action was solid, the acting was decent, but the script was full of bad decisions. A wrestling match with Blob, Deadpool with a Cyclops head, and (lest we forget) the adamantium bullet to the head that erases memories.

If I'd never read an X-Men comic or seen the cartoons, I probably wouldn't have cared. Hopefully this won't be the case with Ender's Game.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan Wert
Member # 10981

- posted      Profile for Nathan Wert   Email Nathan Wert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
Has everyone seen the announcement on the front page about the Open Casting Call in New Orleans, February 2nd? For ages 10-17. Battle School kids.

So who of you have kids you want to try out for a role in Battle School?

I got the email a while ago...but I don't live ANYWHERE close by or I'd bring my daughter down.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan Wert
Member # 10981

Hold on...The casting call is for January 14th!!! That's this weekend!!! Not February 4th.

They start FILMING in February

Aros
Member # 4873

quote:

My kids LOVE comic book movies (as do their parents). They were SO bored. I can't remember much (other than my own boredom), but I remember one scene with two military-types having a discussion. They were in a dark room, you didn't care about them, and the conversation wasn't really pertinent. It went on for AT LEAST two minutes.

It was kind of like the second Transformers movie. No plot, you don't care about any of the characters, and just a ton of messy action. Ebert said it best:

"There is little dialogue, except for the snarling of threats, vows and laments, and the recitation of essential plot points. Nothing here about human nature. No personalities beyond those hauled in via typecasting. No lessons to learn. No joy to be experienced. Just mayhem, noise and pretty pictures."

Or maybe my daughter said it best. When she asked to go to the restroom for the seventh (literally) time.

At least Ebert didn't blame the director. He actually had a lot of praise for his earlier work.

[ January 11, 2012, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Aros ]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if OSC could get his daughter in the movie? From what he writes she's a teen actress.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
She'll also be 18 soon. She was born within a few months of my almost-18 daughter.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually live right outside New Orleans. When I saw the casting call, I screamed and nearly tackled a coworker but then we both realized it was for ages 10-17. *sigh*

I'm hoping she'll take a ride down with me and maybe we can watch some of the filming or meet some of the cast. But there's a really good chance her ex-fiance will be working on the movie, so I'll probably have to go it alone.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not something we should consider, but wouldn't that be fun. And we're so ethnic. [/drusilla]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish i was young enough to audition. I've never actually felt a desire to be in a film, but I'd love to be in that one. Or even just work on the set.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that Gavin Hood has made other films besides Wolverine. Tsotsi is probably much more comparable - about a hardened teenager, based on a novel, and both written and directed by Hood. It won an Oscar.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the other day that Hood was directing Wolverine, conceiving him as having a similar story to Tsotsi. I think this concept would serve the Ender story much better.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping the Academy chose wisely in awarding Hood an Oscar for that film because it's one of the things I'm hanging onto in defending the potential and hopeful quality of the Ender's Game film. I haven't seen Tsotsi.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.