FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vegas Marriage

Author Topic: Vegas Marriage
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
So the unthinkable is happening, and I'm getting married! How weird is that? (You guys don't know me that well, so just know it's weird.)

Neither me or my fiance want a big wedding, so we're planning to head to Vegas and just have fun with it. I was curious if any of you have experience with Vegas weddings and might have some recommendations on locations, activities, or even the legal aspects we'd really appreciate it. (I should add that my lovely fiance is a Canadian citizen, so not sure if that will matter at all. She's living here while doing her fellowship for neonatology.)

We sort of have our hearts set on being married by an Elvis, but we're open to suggestions.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Congrats! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Javert, I got married in Vegas in November. We went through Viva Las Vegas Weddings and were happy with them. They offer a number of Elvis-themed options which would probably appeal to the Elvis enthusiast.

In terms of activities, what kinds of things do you enjoy? We were only there for a few days, so we didn't have time to do a whole lot, I'm afraid, but I still might be able to make some suggestions.

I believe Geraine lives in Vegas, doesn't he? He may have better advice on things to do in the area.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We sort of have our hearts set on being married by an Elvis, but we're open to suggestions.
Don't settle on an Elvis, really impress your bride to be and get the Elvis.

I wish you and you your love well.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dracula's Tomb option illustrated and described on the website Jake posted is pretty awesome. Just making an observation.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Helicopter rides over Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam are a good time, as is just walking the strip at night and seeing all the ridiculous sights. I personally love the feel of Vegas from the elevated walkway over Las Vegas Blvd (by the Bellagio fountains), at around 3 in the morning on a Tuesday or Wednesday. It's completely deserted, which is pretty surreal. I've sat there for a half an hour, just staring out over the strip and thinking.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, that's awesome, dude. Congrats!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats man! I'll second what JT said. It's way fun to just walk the strip, and get helicopter tours. Also the fountain by the Bellagio is fun to just stare at. Don't play slots, unless you are OK with the concept of paying your money into machine that beeps and flashes lights at you, while occasionally giving you small rebates so you can continue playing.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Thanks for all the advice. At the moment, it looks like we're going to try and see Penn & Teller, one of the Cirque shows while we're out there. Trying our best to bundle a honeymoon in with our wedding.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

So, we have a date, and a venue. Jake, thanks for the recommendation as that's where we're going.

Now to get myself a 3-piece suit.

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Happy to have been able to help.

Are you doing one of their themed weddings, or going with a more traditonal one?

Congratulations again, and good luck!

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I do live in Vegas! If you need suggestions on shows to go see or restaurants to eat at, send me an email or PM and I'll give you my cell number. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the wedding chapels, but I have seen most of the shows on the strip and know the best places to eat. [Smile]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I can help with suggestions on getting a cost effective suit (it is easy to get ripped off in quality, price, or both), if you don't already have a source in mind.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't seen this thread before ...

I've only passed through Vegas a couple of times and not recently, so I don't have any suggestions for activities. I do, however, suggest you get the legal aspects taken care of before the wedding. I vaguely remember reading about a couple who up and got married, one was Canadian and had to go back to Canada and then wasn't allowed to return. I don't know how that turned out.

After some Google searching, I came across this attorney's website where he addresses the student visa to married visa issue.

Good luck and congratulations.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Javert was gay... is gay marriage legal in Nevada?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I can help with suggestions on getting a cost effective suit (it is easy to get ripped off in quality, price, or both), if you don't already have a source in mind.

Fugu, I'd be interested in that. I'm in the market for a new suit, and am not looking to spend a pile of money on it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought Javert was gay... is gay marriage legal in Nevada?
[Laugh] Dude, are you being snarky? I'm pretty sure he's a he and he says his fiance is a she in the first post, so.

Congrats, Javert. I hope the wedding is as fabulous as a Vegas wedding should be, and the marriage is even better. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, really... I thought Javert posted a bunch of stuff about coming out years ago. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. No snark involved.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks pretty definitive: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=052820;p=1&r=nfx#000024
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

So it was clearly someone else.
Javert
Member # 3076

I'll double check with my fiance and see what she says about my sexuality. She'd know better than I would.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Neah, they're always the last to know. [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.