FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the greatest TV comedy show? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's the greatest TV comedy show?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather be on Cheers than father Shia LaBeouf.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Actually Philistines would probably have liked Cheers (but not "liked" on Facebook because they did not have the time for such nonsense).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philistines

quote:
The Philistines were also renowned for both their production and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Numerous finds have exposed a well-managed spirits industry, from breweries and wineries to retail outlets that advertised beer, wine, and strong drink. Among the most numerous artifacts unearthed from Philistine ruins are beer mugs and wine craters (large drinking bowls).

They liked wine so much they drank it out of craters.

Now that's impressive.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I've probably never laughed harder than I have at Father Ted, probably was where I was at the time but still

oy ted, thar's a big booncha boxes inna middle ef the rood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQuacxEjAU

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I don't get why people have such a beef with The Beef. He's a passable actor, albeit with a limited range. It's not like he's been given roles that far exceed his acting capacity and then ruined them, either. Transformers wasn't on the cusp of greatness before he was cast; it was always going to be a terrible forgettable spectacle. Likewise, Crystal Skull was ruined long before he came into the picture (frankly, I think the scene between him and Indiana in the 50's diner is one of the best in the film).

I think the kid gets a bad rap, personally.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Cheers. I doubt it had much to do with any fondness for alcohol on my part.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a harder time with Big Bang Theory lately. I like the character Amy Farawhatever, however whenever they show her in her lab, I cringe. You can't dissect a brain in non sterile conditions where food is (both for your safety and the samples safety). I am a geek but those things really irk me. I also don't watch CSI for similar reasons.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
He's very passable. Whenever I get a chance to see him, I pass.

As to the bad rap, you'll have to judge for yourself.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

[ROFL]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Why does not seeing the appeal of Cheers make me a philistine?

I am worse. Not only did I lose interest in Cheers once Diane left, I never liked Seinfeld!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't know if you heard, but we're making jackets. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Not only did I lose interest in Cheers once Diane left, I never liked Seinfeld!

I can respect both of those.

I like Rebecca, but she was certainly no Diane.

And Seinfeld was something I enjoyed the first time around, but absolutely cannot rewatch at all. So I can understand having my latter reaction initially.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss classic 90s shows like Fresh Prince and Home Improvement. Ah, my childhood. I still watch those sometimes. I bought all of Home Improvement on dvd a few months ago, and I want to get Fresh Prince.

There was a stretch of time when I was home just last month where my mom was on a Dick Van Dyke kick and out of sheer curiosity I watched along with her. I was surprised to discover that it was actually pretty funny, even decades later.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh Prince was awesome. By far the best sitcom of its time. It's one of the only shows from that time period that I can watch now and still laugh just as much as I used to.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was a stretch of time when I was home just last month where my mom was on a Dick Van Dyke kick and out of sheer curiosity I watched along with her. I was surprised to discover that it was actually pretty funny, even decades later.
He lost a lot of ability with age, I think. He's still pretty funny, but nothing like the phenomenon back when he could do physical comedy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I should have clarified, we were watching the Dick Van Dyke Show in black and white, which I imagine is right around the height of his comedic skill? It was a little stilted, which is probably a sixties thing, but he's hilarious, and the writing wasn't half bad for being 50 years old.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

You say that as if writing used to be terrible. Not a fan of classics, I take it?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned Curb Your Enthusiasm?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
You say that as if writing used to be terrible. Not a fan of classics, I take it?

It depends.

Writing is often a product of the time, and with literature I can usually get past it, except for most Victorian writing. For television dialogue, it's sort of naturally imprinted and influenced by the era it was produced in, so sixties TV shows don't normally strike my fancy. On the other hand, there are a ton of classic movies that I like. Different kind of dialogue.

So it's not that it's bad, it's just that media like sitcoms have a sort of shelf life, and 50 years is usually way past their expiration date.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think a lot of the humor in The Dick Van Dyke show is more situational or physical and doesn't depend so much on timely content, so it's a lot more timeless because of that.
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Bean, though flawed, is the greatest pure physical comedy series.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
MASH, without a doubt, is my favorite comedy series ever.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I disagree about a 50 year shelf life. I have been finding late night showing of the Burns and Allen Show to be quite charming.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:

*high-fives*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I disagree about a 50 year shelf life. I have been finding late night showing of the Burns and Allen Show to be quite charming.

Never heard of it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:

*high-fives*
MASH is one of those shows that you can show in syndication and almost any episode is going to be good enough to justify leaving on for an hour.

On top of that, there are maybe 20 or 30 episodes that are just stand out excellent television that will never be topped, only matched. I went through a period of loathing when I was younger because my mom watched MASH obsessively, but now that I've had time away from it, it's one of my favorite shows.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I wish MASH was on Netflix.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
MASH is one of those shows that you can show in syndication and almost any episode is going to be good enough to justify leaving on for an hour.

That depends what's in the second half-hour. [Wink] (The episodes run 30 minutes with commercials.)

quote:
quote:

Never heard of it.
Possible responses:
1) And you call yourself a historian!
2) Next you'll tell me you've never heard of their radio show, either.
3) Say goodnight, Lyrhawn!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I wish MASH was on Netflix.

You mean streaming, right? Because you can get all the episodes -- including the finale, although separately -- on DVD from Netflix.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh, yeah, I meant streaming. I don't have a mailbox right now at school, so I don't pay for the DVD rental service.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'd get rid of the DVD bit if I didn't keep using it just barely enough to keep it.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I have had a lot of problems with streaming the instant stuff on my Wii, so I haven't been terribly pleased with the service. But my roommates and I use it so often that it's worth the pricetag even with the problems.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
That depends what's in the second half-hour. [Wink] (The episodes run 30 minutes with commercials.)

I'm so used to them running for hours at a time that I forgot you can actually stop after an hour. They're like the Pringles of comedy.

quote:
1) And you call yourself a historian!
2) Next you'll tell me you've never heard of their radio show, either.
3) Say goodnight, Lyrhawn!

Shows...on the radio?

I'm afraid I don't follow.

rivka
Member # 4859

*suspicious look*

You have to be pulling my leg.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The Simpsons. Including the new seasons. Hands down.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
*suspicious look*

Of course I am. [Smile]
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

Troll.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
*suspicious look*

Of course I am. [Smile]
For how many posts?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:

The only flaw in Mr. Bean is that there is not more of it.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And the reason Parks and Recreation is the best show out there now is that so many of the characters are so likable. They're flawed, but likable, and that's really refreshing. You find yourself actually caring about what happens to them, which Arrested Development and The Office never achieve. (Well, Michael and George Michael are likable but everyone else is so absolutely detestable they get cancelled out.)
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
beef did make note of the excruciating transparency of bay's interaction and, uh, 'direction' of fox
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
And the reason Parks and Recreation is the best show out there now is that so many of the characters are so likable. They're flawed, but likable, and that's really refreshing. You find yourself actually caring about what happens to them, which Arrested Development and The Office never achieve. (Well, Michael and George Michael are likable but everyone else is so absolutely detestable they get cancelled out.)

I'm super fond of Lindsay, but I think 90% of that is carried over from my fondness for her character in Better Off Ted (where she is one of the best characters in the show by far), who was just similar enough for the affection to stick.

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
beef did make note of the excruciating transparency of bay's interaction and, uh, 'direction' of fox

Wow, really? Didn't know that.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand how people enjoy it even beyond the stilting laughtrack pacing. It is a nerd minstral show. They dress them up in nerd face and throw them up on stage to sing songs of the long forgotten days of toiling in the nerd fields. If you're an actual academic nerd or whatever the sensation of watching it is usually analogous to being a computer sciences major watching CSI:Enhance.
Agreed, although I've been known to watch it. I think the major problem is that most people who enjoy it are not the nerds depicted but know one. My mother loves it because it reminds her of my Dad. The audience is Penny and this is the impression she gets.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

Troll.
I started watching Simpsons again few months ago and have loved every episode since. Watch the the newest episode about the social network and tell me it's not brilliant.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
quote:
*suspicious look*

Of course I am. [Smile]
For how many posts?
Sadly, just the radio thing. I think I vaguely recall hearing of Burns and Allen, but I have no idea what it is or what medium it was shown on. And I can't even check Wikipedia today to find out. [Frown]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

George Burns and Gracie Allen were a comedy team and married couple (rather a sweet married couple) that started in vaudeville and then went to radio and then TV. You might remember George Burns - he lived to be quite old despite his trademark cigar. Gracie Allen's character was cheerful and prone to misunderstanding. Their act generally ended with the catchphrase, "Say, 'goodnight', Gracie."
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:

The only flaw in Mr. Bean is that there is not more of it.
No, the first movie is also a flaw. Too bad it was comprised of recycled jokes mashed upon a frame of a bad tv movie. The second movie, Mr. Bean's Holiday, was the send off it really deserved.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
George Burns and Gracie Allen were a comedy team and married couple (rather a sweet married couple) that started in vaudeville and then went to radio and then TV. You might remember George Burns - he lived to be quite old despite his trademark cigar. Gracie Allen's character was cheerful and prone to misunderstanding. Their act generally ended with the catchphrase, "Say, 'goodnight', Gracie."

Ohh, that's where that comes from. I know who George Burns is, and I know the catchphrase. When did the show run?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I thought you might. The TV show ran in the 1950s. You can catch it late nights on the nostalgia channels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAesuInmU0

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The Three Stooges? Looney Tunes? These aren't sitcoms, but they're comedy. And their influence is undeniable.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
First--Blackadder

Although the original English version of Coupling had perfect comic timing.

and the original English version of "Who's Line Is It Anyway" has made me laugh more than most shows. But that is more hit or miss.

Second--Burns & Allen is more than just a cute couple show.

Gracie Allen was perhaps the best comic genius of her generation--and that generation included Bob Hope, Jack Benny, and Will Rogers. She created radio memes, much like an internet meme--but in 1920's. She went looking for her lost brother during an early episode of their radio show. She asked everyone, "Have you seen my brother." Soon every radio show, from other comedic shows to serious dramas, would include the line, "Have you seen Gracie's brother?" This included shows on every network--not just their own.

And 70 years before Stephen Colbert decided to run for President, Gracie Allen did so. Not only did she run on TV, but she ran a whistle-stop campaign throughout the west--and received a good number of votes.

I forget the name of her "Party" but she had some wonderful answers?

"Gracie, what do you think of the national debt being amongst the largest in the world?"

"I believe that America is a special country. And if we can't have the biggest national debt in the world, why, we shouldn't have one at all."

Also--her marriage with George Burns ranks in the top 10 real love stories of all times. I dare you to read George Burn's book about her with out crying. (or laughing).

Finally. THEY NEVER SAID "Say Goodnight, Gracie." "Goodnight Gracie." That is as truthful as the Casablanca non-line "Play it again Sam."

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.